• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odd question

I had one that had been tampered with, but it didn't seem to make much difference. As it happened, my throttle body was badly worn anyway, so I solved the problem by replacing it. I'd leave it alone, since there seem to be no instructions on how to "un-tamper" it.

There's a TSB on adjusting it. I'd have to dig it up. If the TB were worn, it may not have a large effect.

well ive gotten it pretty close but it idles at 1300 at start up and wants to slowly climb drivability isnt too bad but definatly not right

If it is slowly climbing, that sounds like it may be an intake manifold leak getting larger as the engine warms up, loose bolts on the intake/exhaust manifolds.

Has anyone tampered with the idle air screw that has a Torx head on the driver's side of the throttle body?

Uncle Bob screws with mine once in while! :scared: LOL!!!:cheers:

ok so i said screw my poor eyesight and did the idle screw by feel looks alot closer now and has the TINIEST gap idle is down low now and not climbing will reset tps again and see what happens. also part time light is on and even with a new t-case switch will not turn off

ok so i said screw my poor eyesight and did the idle screw by feel looks alot closer now and has the TINIEST gap idle is down low now and not climbing will reset tps again and see what happens. also part time light is on and even with a new t-case switch will not turn off

We're making progress. Reset the TPS and see what happens. Is your name Uncle Bob? LOL.

Lol no afraid not. well i reset the ECU plug to 17% and idle went high again. so for laughs i set it to 13% cam down a little but not really all that much.

I'd like to resolve this as it's getting a little old.:looney:

Find a solid flat metal plate (DO NOT use any body parts, like your hand), and cover the intake manifold throat and cut off the air flow while the engine is running. A rubber gasket under the plate would help.

If the engine still runs, and especially if the idle is 700 or higher, YOU HAVE A VACUUM LEAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably at the INTAKE/EXHAUST manifold gasket leak due to loose bolts!!!!!

:banghead:

Last edited:
I'll give that a go, I will say I walked outside and started it up and now it's not wanting stay running. idles real low for a bit and then bleh. haha I can't win.

alright, double checked the tps and it was at .799 volts, now I also looked back on a post by EcoMike and it said .80-.82 is prime, set it too .813 (i'm getting a little tired of doing this again and again, close enough) and it now starts and runs fine, drives well too. only concern is the idle is pretty consistent at the first mark above 0, now I'm assuming that would be 500 rpms, in drive only minute fluxuations, At which point does the motor not supply enough oil? 500 seems pretty low. and if it does need to come up how do i make a slight 100 or so rpm change?

also checked the intake bolts, all looked good, only one gave me a 1/4 turn out of it.

again thank you everyone for the help.

actually the gromet is rather worn out and happened to be off when i first started it and when i put it back on the idle dropped a little and smoothed out.

But still too low? I would check the RPM with a tach other than the one in your instrument cluster. BTW, get a new grommet and make sure the pipe that goes into it is clear.

I'll have to pick a tach up. I was going to spray some throttle body cleaner through the tube to ensure it was clear, where do I find this gromet? I can find a few with the proper O.D. but the I.D. is always way too big.

I'm awfully damn close on this thing tho.

Back