• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OBA SCUBA?

The compressor runs in the 300-400psi range iirc. Saudade would know more about that...

Sure, you can just plumb two together, you'll get twice the reserve that way. Works fine.

Make sure you use a backflow preventer valve to the compressor, that way it won't try and run backwards when you don't have it pumping (though the compressor has some valves in it, I'm not sure how they are set up.) Also, put ball valves on any/all ports so you can shut off lines/subsystems that get broken, especially if you are going to ever run air lockers off this setup. Don't want a stupid external line port for filling tires to snap off and leave you in the boonies with no way to engage your lockers.

Sure, you can just plumb two together, you'll get twice the reserve that way. Works fine.

Make sure you use a backflow preventer valve to the compressor...

...put ball valves on any/all ports so you can shut off lines/subsystems that get broken.

I am definitely going to run two tanks then, especially since I have access to both right now and they're free...input through one, output through the other...

I love the idea of a ball valve; it's a great preventative idea just for the hell of it.

Backflow preventer as in a check valve? I was going to put a check valve right off the output of the compressor...should I put another one elsewhere? such as off the tanks?

I am definitely going to run two tanks then, especially since I have access to both right now and they're free...input through one, output through the other...

I love the idea of a ball valve; it's a great preventative idea just for the hell of it.

Backflow preventer as in a check valve? I was going to put a check valve right off the output of the compressor...should I put another one elsewhere? such as off the tanks?
Yep, had a brainfart and couldn't think of the proper term, backflow preventers are for liquids I guess. Right off the output of the compressor sounds like a fine spot to me, though right at the input of the tank will increase reliability, the check valve will keep the tanks pressurized if there is a failure in the line from the compressor to the tanks.

Meh, I just don't see the point of using a heavy tank, much less 2 heavy tanks for low pressure. I realize they are readily available but a smaller, lighter tank that will hold more air at low pressure costs maybe 20 bucks (5 gallons). The fittings are already on it and ready to go. By the time you plumbed all of that up you're going to have more than $20 invested in a project that just isn't practical.

Now, I could understand if you were going to certify the tanks and run them at their intended pressure. If you have high pressure tanks, run high pressure tanks.

You'll have more invested in a low pressure system than you would in a high pressure system. Trust me, I have both.

when your tub of shit rolls 12 times, 2 times in mid air. Anything is possible. It was a nitrogen tank filled to couple hundred psi. Luckily it went out the side window I believe.

You can't tell me that it is impossible to bolt down a tank well enough to survive a roll.

and like was mentioned. If you roll hard enough to sling a bolted down 15 lb air tank out the window the engine, transmission and transfer case is going too...

Last edited:
Meh, I just don't see the point of using a heavy tank, much less 2 heavy tanks for low pressure.

I totally agree, but like you said they are readily available. Where do you find 5 gallon tanks for $20? The cheapest I could find was lik 60...You don't think plumbing two together will give me more volume? I am just thinking outloud because then I would always have the option of removing them and pressurizing them if I wanted to. I would think that $20 would get me pretty far in fittings.

I totally agree, but like you said they are readily available. Where do you find 5 gallon tanks for $20? The cheapest I could find was lik 60...You don't think plumbing two together will give me more volume? I am just thinking outloud because then I would always have the option of removing them and pressurizing them if I wanted to. I would think that $20 would get me pretty far in fittings.

Have you priced quality fittings lately?

My local O'Reilly's as 2 gallon tanks for $14 and 5 gallon tanks for $24.

Have you priced quality fittings lately?

I work at a supply house, cost is what I pay so pretty damn cheap lol. No O'Reilly's 'round these parts...advance, zone, and napa only. I would imagine hardware stores or Home Depot?

Also, I have searched and cannot find a way to wire up a switch and an automatic shutoff valve (pressure switch?) Shuts the compressor off when it reaches a certain psi in teh tank correct?

HA! I suppose I could've searched for it...but that def works for sure. I'm leaning towards that idea instead, I mean I could always just get the SCUBA tanks filled if I wanted to anyway.

The only thing I like about the SCUBA tank option is that they are tall and skinny, thus taking up less room...that HF one looks awkward to fit in the jeep. Anyone have experience with it?
Thanks for all your help on this.

No but I just looked. It seems to be A LOT easier just to get it certified and what not, but how much does it cost to get certified? If its a lot than idk if it would be worth it. Getting it filled is cheap I would imagine too, but I also like the idea of just having running onboard air with the compressor, just to be that much cooler lol. I have been toying around with the idea for a while.

now that I'm thinking about it, these tanks havn't been certified since 1980. WOnder if it'll be worth the money to get them checked out. I'm gonna have to call around, plus there might not be one for miles. If I was to go this route, do you think that I would be ok without it getting checked for like 200-300psi? I might just say xxxx it and buy the reg HF tank.

Is there truly more volume in one of those than 2 full-size SCUBA tanks? Plus the HF is only rated to 150psi, whereas I can store like 300 in the SCUBA tanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ummmmm...don't even know where to start on that. I am planning on plumbing two tanks. Anyone? Does a 5 gallon at 125psi store a greater volume than 2 SCUBA tanks at that same pressure? I plan on storing around 125-150 in the tank(s). Just wondering which would have a greater capacity. My brain is not functioning well at all either...just confusing myself.:rof:

Volume of Gas = (PSI in Tank) * (Tank's Rated Volume)/(Tank's Rated Pressure)

Then convert cu ft over to gallons.

I figure about 2.3 gallons per tank. Roughly...

So, you're gunna have 4.6 gallons in 2 heavy ass scuba tanks when you could have 5 gallons in one regular tank. :)

I'm a diver who uses a 63 ft3 tank for onboard air. If I remember correctly, I can fill four 34's from 12 to 30 psi 3 times. I use a standard scuba regulator to take it from 3000 psi to about 145 and have an adapter to convert to a standard female air chuck.

DOT regs require hydrostatic testing every 5 years. It's about $18 and can be done a a fire extingusher shop. Scuba shops also require annual VIP's (visual inspection). They are about $25 including a fill. Fills are normally about $5-6. Find a scuba shop friendly to paintballers as they won't require a scuba certification (for you).

I think running a scuba tank and not using the 3000 psi it's rated for is a HUGE waste as the bottles are so heavy. -Jim C

Back