• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NWHBC Cage Design and Build Thread

Starboard M said:
Yes, but suppose that the cage and Jeep separate. Seat goes one way and the belts go the other. I can see that ending badly.

There are many ways to make any cage stronger and or safer. And the cages above are not really the best/safest cage. They are a compromise in many ways because of our priorities. In the process of designing these cages we did talk with several friends who are experts at building cages for professional rally cars and this type of person will cringe at me calling mine a cage (I agree it really is not a proper cage). But it was the best compromise for what I wanted from the cage. I have no intention of tying the seats to the cage, I am considering harnesses, I have them, just have not installed them yet.

Michael

90exjay said:
I think i need to move up north and get inline on the JMHR fab team.:D
Sean

It beats riding shotgun and putting out fires for those guys down south :D
If you don't wheel, you might not need a cage ;)

Michael

I think it's a little bit of a shame that you have that A-pillar inside the front fenders but you don't appear to have tied in the front end. I'd run some tube up and get the front included, and on mine, I tied the A-pillar to the existing windsheild frame with some sheetmetal.

Phil said:
I think it's a little bit of a shame that you have that A-pillar inside the front fenders but you don't appear to have tied in the front end. I'd run some tube up and get the front included, and on mine, I tied the A-pillar to the existing windsheild frame with some sheetmetal.

We discussed adding tube forward of the A pillar to strengthen/tie in the front end. It's on my list of stuff to do. I still have some tube left to get it done, but really don't have a plan yet. It will probably be similar to yours.

-Jeremy

Megawatt said:
TTC2007007.jpg

Jeremy:

I'm trying to figure out what you are using for flares on the back of your XJ. I like the look, but those don't look like stock flares. Maybe it's just my eyes.

Nice cage, by the way. It addresses a number of issues I've seen in the past with space constraints.

Spudboy said:
Jeremy:

I'm trying to figure out what you are using for flares on the back of your XJ. I like the look, but those don't look like stock flares. Maybe it's just my eyes.

They're steel. Tube & plate. Tied into the rockers, Thor quarter guards, and the rear bumper. They are also tied into the cage from the backside.

-Jeremy

90exjay said:
Oh i wheel, not as much as i would like though, and i could have used that "cage":D
100_4527.jpg

Sean

When did this happen? How did I totally miss this? It looks like Evan's from the photo? Is there a thread about the trip I missed?

Michael

90exjay said:
It was the last run on the last day of the pnw M&G, evans,197.After having gone through it twice that weekend i tried a new line the third time, this was the end result.:dunce:

Sean
WOW. Sorry, I can't believe I didn't hear about this.
Michael

Blkxjkrawler said:
:thumbup: Guys,
I'll give you another couple months off, then its on to mine:firedevil
-Ryan

..... ThinkI better: 1. learn how to weld 2. buy a welder 3. learn to bend tubing 4. buy a bender 5. take notes....

Metal Thrasher said:
..... ThinkI better: 1. learn how to weld 2. buy a welder 3. learn to bend tubing 4. buy a bender 5. take notes....

6. Finish rear bumper.....

:D
Michael

2xtreme said:
6. Finish rear bumper.....

Michael

I noted that Jeremy tied his cage into his rockers.... Now I'm extremely glad I got the 2Xtreme rockers based on that design....

I guess the rear bumper should be 1. ...... :twak:

Metal Thrasher said:

Thinking hurts,
1. Getting there
2. Already have
3. Getting there
4. Why? Michael has one.:twak:
5. Where were you on build day?:nono:

6. Guess who's not getting any extra friction discs for there 8.8!
:cheers:
-Ryan

Thanks Matt ;)
Now I understand what you guys were all laughing about.

Michael

Back