• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NWFest 2010 trail schedule

2xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
This is the trail schedule that we ran last year. I am posting this along with some comments to make changes.

I need volunteers for the trail runs (leaders).
I also need input as to what you want to see more of and less of.

Thursday, June 25th
No run's planed

Friday, June 26th
Easy Run (if needed) Leave at 11:00AM (3Hrs up to Rock, 2Hrs back down)
1702, 1720, Bald Mt, C.J.R.s Hideout, Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks, Milk Lake, 1708 I do not believe we used this trail run, I am considering eliminating it? Any comments?

Moderate Run, Leave at 11:00AM (12 rig max) (4 Hrs up to Rocks, 2 Hrs back down)
1708, Lower Woodpecker, Upper Woodpecker, Summit to Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks, Milk Lake, 1708

Epic Run (starts early, 8 rigs max, 33’s and 1 TAD, Experience!!) 10 Hrs?
Kaner Flats, Shoestring, Tripod Flats, Buck Meadows, Quartz Mt., Wells Meadow, Manastash Ridge, String (Rocks), Tipover, Upper Woodpecker, Lower Woodpecker. we had way TOO many issues last year and didn't cover anywhere close to the ground we wanted. Should we consider two groups, smaller group, more restrictions, what do you guys want from this?

Raven’s Roost Night Run (Leave 1hr, and 2hr’s before Sunset)
Main road for stock vehicles, Powerline (900) for modified
I don't believe this run happened, but I think we should leave it on the schedule?

Saturday, June 27th
Easy Run (Leave at 9:00AM)
1708, Milk Lake, Summit to Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks, 670 down to 1720.

Hard/Moderate 1 (Leave at 9:00AM, will be back by 3:00PM) (12 rig max) John will lead this run 1708, Upper Woodpecker, Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks (several hours of play), Upper Woodpecker, Lower Woodpecker, 1708

Moderate Run 2 (Leave at 9:30AM) (12 rig max)
1706, 1600 (Little Bald Mt), Mud Springs (696), Saw Mill Flats (1600)

Hard Run 1 (Leave at 8:30AM) (10 rig max) (4Hrs up to Rocks, 2 Hrs back down)
Kaner Flats, Manastash Ridge, String, Tipover, Tripod Flats, Summit, Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks, Upper Woodpecker, Lower Woodpecker, 1708.

Hard Run 2 Extra (Leave at 9:00AM) (12 rig max) (3Hrs up to Rocks, 3.5Hrs back down)
1708, Lower Woodpecker, Upper Woodpecker, Summit, Moon Rocks/Runny Rocks, Tripod Flats, Shoestring, Kaner Flats

Sunday, June 28th
Easy Run
Naches Trail (684) up to Naches Pass and return (not open on West Side yet)
Moderate Run
Power Line Trail up to Raven’s Roost (900) and return.
Hard Run
Saw Mill Flats (1600), Lower Clover Springs (697), Upper Clover Springs (1605 4w696)
everyone wants to leave on Sunday, I think we should just have 1 run set up? relatively short? last year several of us ran up to Raven's Roost

Give me your input.
Michael

Friday: I think we definitely need to have predesignated leaders for this day. Last year there was some confusion after the epic run left. I would think having the epic run leave at 8, a moderate run leave at 9, and another run maybe around 11 would be good. The important part would be having leaders already scheduled for those runs.

Epic Run: I say either keep it the same as last year (10 vehicles), or do two smaller groups (~6 vehicles) running the same route from opposite directions. Last year with 10 vehicles it seemed to go pretty well, but it still seemed a little large for our end goal. We even had gnome power on our side too. :cool:

Night Run: Leave it. It happened last year (only 4 of us), but watching the sunset from Ravens Roost was pretty cool.

Sunday: I think most people will be departing, so I wouldn't worry about having a bunch of runs planned.

I may be up for leading a run on one of the days, but would like to see the schedule first.

As for tech demos... it seems like there is talk every year for these. I'll try and find a time slot to fit this in. Maybe Friday night after the epic runs returns, or Saturday before dinner.

I suggest putting a Hard run in on Friday. Same type of trails as the epic run, but not as many and a slower pace. Kaner up to the rocks and back or something...

As far as big groups, trying to make fast time is tough. The only way I know is to have a designated leader, mid gunner and tail gunner. Once the mid gunner is through a hard spot, the leader and the first half gets going again, while the mid gunner gets the second half of the group through. This essentially gives you two groups.

Also its good to have one or two for bail outs. If someone breaks, one or two stay with him to get him going or back to camp while the rest of the group moves on. This sounds harsh, but if you are going to get 10+ rigs through a long trail list, its what has to happen.

Just my .02. I hope I can make it this year.

Friday: I think we definitely need to have predesignated leaders for this day. Last year there was some confusion after the epic run left. I would think having the epic run leave at 8, a moderate run leave at 9, and another run maybe around 11 would be good. The important part would be having leaders already scheduled for those runs.

We had pre-selected trail leaders last year.
What we didn't have is people signed up for each run.

I suspect that Rich's welcome wagon will have people signing up for run's as they come in this time so that each trail leader knows who they have with them before the run. Rich, please let me know if we want to do this another way.

As for tech demo's. I have offered to do them repeatedly, along with several others. The hard part is really trying to find time when a reasonable number of people can make it. I think this might be best served at other events?

Michael

hello, I dont want to get my butt chewed but im new to washington, Im in the military planing on staying here when i get out, But can you guys tell me if theses trails you guys do are extreme or mix or easy? i would love to do some runs when i get back from iraq soon i just don't want to climb 20 foot cliffs and stuff.

PS. if wrong area just point me the right way please!!!

hello, I dont want to get my butt chewed but im new to washington, Im in the military planing on staying here when i get out, But can you guys tell me if theses trails you guys do are extreme or mix or easy? i would love to do some runs when i get back from iraq soon i just don't want to climb 20 foot cliffs and stuff.

PS. if wrong area just point me the right way please!!!

1. Welcome and THANK YOU for serving!
2. The trails in the area this thread is about vary widely which is why the list is varied. There is something there for all rigs from Stock to extreme. NWFest will occur on the East side of the mountains. As for trails on the Western side which you are more likely to do as day runs they also vary widely. This probably isn't the best place to get into that whole discussion.... So please post up in the regular thread section and tell us who you are and what you wheel!

I think it was pretty good last year, but I think we should have two groups for the epic run, def. add in the Raven Roost night run that never happened, an organized Sunday run to the rocks, and maybe a specific time for vendor demonstrations (around dinner on friday?)

I think it would also be beneficial for everyone if we were more organized for runs and meeting times. I know some people missed runs last year because there was no official 5/10 min. warning and some convoys left a few minutes early.

Overall, last years fest was much more organized than the year before and I think everyone had a pretty good time.

Im on my phone from vacation...but before spots go away I wana say Id like to do the epic run this year. And thank you Michael for putting this all together!
~Scott

Would anyone be against finishing the "Epic" run in the dark? We didn't hit too many snags last year. Lyle broke a shaft and we swapped while other people tried the obstacle, and the steering box issue. broken shafts will happen and the steering box thing isn't too likely to happen again. Overall just speeding up the pace and maybe packing dinner would help. Adding a night portion would add to the "EPICness" of the run.

Would anyone be against finishing the "Epic" run in the dark? We didn't hit too many snags last year. Lyle broke a shaft and we swapped while other people tried the obstacle, and the steering box issue. broken shafts will happen and the steering box thing isn't too likely to happen again. Overall just speeding up the pace and maybe packing dinner would help. Adding a night portion would add to the "EPICness" of the run.

Are you talking Friday night then? Or skipping the dinner/raffle, etc. Saturday night? I vote the latter, more prizes for the rest of us. :D

Are you talking Friday night then? Or skipping the dinner/raffle, etc. Saturday night? I vote the latter, more prizes for the rest of us. :D

Friday night, I'm not missing the raffle/dinner again.

I don't have anything against finishing this run in the dark. We discussed it last year during the event and all decided that it was best to head back instead of try to push on.

Michael

I don't have anything against finishing this run in the dark. We discussed it last year during the event and all decided that it was best to head back instead of try to push on.

Michael

Maybe bump the departure time up an hour earlier too this year. I think last year we had a good 13 hour day in by the time we rolled into camp.

Didn't we talk about a mini TTC competition? It would be really cool to have a short one at some point.

-Alex

TTC as in "Top Truck Challenge" or "Team Trophy Challenge"?

TTC as in "Top Truck Challenge" or "Team Trophy Challenge"?

Team Trophy Challenge. The idea was to set up certain challenges in a general geographic area, or in camp. Skipping the trail driving in favor of demonstrating other skills needed for off-road adventures. This could be done one evening or morning in the camp area....

Team Trophy Challenge. The idea was to set up certain challenges in a general geographic area, or in camp. Skipping the trail driving in favor of demonstrating other skills needed for off-road adventures. This could be done one evening or morning in the camp area....

Screw that, let's have a race on some trails too.

-Alex

Back