• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP435 in an XJ...just tossing ideas around

The 435 will bolt up to a NP 203 (full time) t-case, or to a divorced 205 (part time) T-case. I ran a 435 in my 4WD van I built eons ago (and still have, rusting in the yard). The 435 sat behind a Mopar 440 Magnum, back when Magnum meant something. Finding a bellhousing was a bit tricky, but I found a hydraulic clutch housing from a D700 fit with no modification.

Heavy, oh lordy yes. But with a 12 1/2 clutch, I couldn't break it. Now, the van (early model Dodge) had lots more room than an XJ. The 435 is a trans you can't break, no matter what engine you're running. The gear splits with a 203 or 205 weren't the ideal. The 435 was 6.68 1st, 3.34 2nd, 1.67 3rd and 1:1 4th. If you could find a T-case that was like a 231, with an odd gear (something other than 2:1 like the 203 and 205), then splitting gears would be a better bet.

Good luck - sounds like an interesting project.

David Bricker / SYR

Why not the 5.9 or 5.2? Doesn't both bolt up to aw4?

Nope, the small block mopar bellhousing is different i believe

An NV 3500 or 4500 will pretty much bolt up though, they were used in Dodge trucks. If I was going through the trouble to swap in a motor besides a 4.0, a manual is getting swapped in. I just enjoy driving them better, and once mastered, they provide a lot more control off road.

The 435 will bolt up to a NP 203 (full time) t-case, or to a divorced 205 (part time) T-case. I ran a 435 in my 4WD van I built eons ago (and still have, rusting in the yard). The 435 sat behind a Mopar 440 Magnum, back when Magnum meant something. Finding a bellhousing was a bit tricky, but I found a hydraulic clutch housing from a D700 fit with no modification.

Heavy, oh lordy yes. But with a 12 1/2 clutch, I couldn't break it. Now, the van (early model Dodge) had lots more room than an XJ. The 435 is a trans you can't break, no matter what engine you're running. The gear splits with a 203 or 205 weren't the ideal. The 435 was 6.68 1st, 3.34 2nd, 1.67 3rd and 1:1 4th. If you could find a T-case that was like a 231, with an odd gear (something other than 2:1 like the 203 and 205), then splitting gears would be a better bet.

Good luck - sounds like an interesting project.

David Bricker / SYR

That's pretty much the consensus I've come to as well, all those old top loader transmissions are about bulletproof. If I go through with it, I'll definitely post a thread about it, but if I do it it'll be a while. I have to get a degree at some point in there haha

ALL AMC V-8's (except the vigilante 327) can be bolted to an AW4...you just need to have the correct flex plate (or flywheel in case of the manual tranny).

The 232, 242 (4.0L), 258, 290, 304, 343, 360, 390, and 401 AMC engines all share the same bolt patterns and can... with the proper engine mounts be bolted in place of each other. So a 401 AMC V-8 can be bolted into an XJ with the correct engine mounts and transmission flex plate/flywheel.

It would be easier to adapt a T-18 4 spd...which is pretty much the same strength etc (some will argue that) as the 435...was used in jeeps and can be had with the same (or very similar) granny low 1st gear. Feasilbly speaking you can take an AMC V-8 with a T-18 on it already and bolt it into an XJ with much less work than putting in any other engine/trans combo. If you get the right one you can even easily adapt a 231 t-case to it...I have a D-300 behind my AW4 and other than the clock ring and input shaft on the 300 it was a bolt on (not flipped...I have a pass drop front end). The D-300 was available behind the T-18 so the 231 would be easy to swap to it.

And old school...? There was an AMC V-8 in jeeps until 1991. Maybe I'm a little older than some here...but 1991 is not old school! LOL

Weight is your enemy. To the point aluminum sliders and bumpers are being produced commercially for the wrangler crowd. Hell, even an iron block/head 350 is 50 lb lighter than the 4.0.

originally entered this on mobile, didnt make much sense without the bolded word

ALL AMC V-8's (except the vigilante 327) can be bolted to an AW4...you just need to have the correct flex plate (or flywheel in case of the manual tranny).

The 232, 242 (4.0L), 258, 290, 304, 343, 360, 390, and 401 AMC engines all share the same bolt patterns and can... with the proper engine mounts be bolted in place of each other. So a 401 AMC V-8 can be bolted into an XJ with the correct engine mounts and transmission flex plate/flywheel.

It would be easier to adapt a T-18 4 spd...which is pretty much the same strength etc (some will argue that) as the 435...was used in jeeps and can be had with the same (or very similar) granny low 1st gear. Feasilbly speaking you can take an AMC V-8 with a T-18 on it already and bolt it into an XJ with much less work than putting in any other engine/trans combo. If you get the right one you can even easily adapt a 231 t-case to it...I have a D-300 behind my AW4 and other than the clock ring and input shaft on the 300 it was a bolt on (not flipped...I have a pass drop front end). The D-300 was available behind the T-18 so the 231 would be easy to swap to it.

And old school...? There was an AMC V-8 in jeeps until 1991. Maybe I'm a little older than some here...but 1991 is not old school! LOL

A 401 in an XJ sounds like fun....I wonder if anyone makes fuel injection systems for those engines. Surely so because there are so may of them. I haven't researched those engines at all really. If they're similar enough to the Mopar LA small blocks fuel injection from one of those could be used, and then you could still have a tag on it so you wouldn't have to tow it or lug around gas cans to fuel it up.

A 401 in an XJ sounds like fun....I wonder if anyone makes fuel injection systems for those engines. Surely so because there are so may of them. I haven't researched those engines at all really. If they're similar enough to the Mopar LA small blocks fuel injection from one of those could be used, and then you could still have a tag on it so you wouldn't have to tow it or lug around gas cans to fuel it up.

There are at LEAST 2 companies that make TBI systems for the AMC V-8's (and carb'd I-6's). I'm sure you can get something from Summit or Jegs but I'm also sure the price tags are a lot higher.

I'm eventually wanting to put TBI on my wife's '74 scout 345 and the same company makes the set up for the AMC V-8's since IH used the 401 AMC in some of the bigger rigs and I asked about doing so for the 304 in my CJ5...he said no worries.

You can also junkyard piece together a TBI set up from certain GM rigs for less $$ but it's more complicated than getting a virtual turn key ready made system.

I'd almost be tempted to hop up the motor a touch and then propane it...easier and cheaper still.

There are at LEAST 2 companies that make TBI systems for the AMC V-8's (and carb'd I-6's). I'm sure you can get something from Summit or Jegs but I'm also sure the price tags are a lot higher.

I'm eventually wanting to put TBI on my wife's '74 scout 345 and the same company makes the set up for the AMC V-8's since IH used the 401 AMC in some of the bigger rigs and I asked about doing so for the 304 in my CJ5...he said no worries.

You can also junkyard piece together a TBI set up from certain GM rigs for less $$ but it's more complicated than getting a virtual turn key ready made system.

I'd almost be tempted to hop up the motor a touch and then propane it...easier and cheaper still.

That's an idea as well. Man if I had time and money, I'd have a LOT more cool toys lol

Back