• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 troubles

XgeekstarX

NAXJA Forum User
i was in 4LO for about 3 seconds the other day going over some roots in my front yard. afterwards i put it in neutral, shifted back into 2wd, then parked it.

later on i went to go to the store and i heard this crazy whining noise. i look over and my part time 4x4 light is flickering on and off really fast. i'd go to turn a corner and it feels like it's trying to slip out but isn't. i checked the TC fluid and it was full and looked fine.

i tried putting it in reverse after going back into 2wd. i've tried almost every way i've heard of to disengage the 4wd. the only way i can get it to disengage is to go to the lake at the end of my street and hit a nice sized bump.

92 xj
4.0L HO
auto
NP242

Try getting underneath it and manually shifting it into 2WD. There's a little lever on the side there, just put a 9/16 wrench on the nut to turn it. Check for loose shift linkage.

This might sound a bit silly, but check the air pressure in your tires. I was having the exact same problem you are describing with my 92. One of my front tires had a slow leak in it and whenever the air pressure difference between tires was too large, the thing was a beast to shift from 4lo to 4hi. I bought 4 brand new tires and presto, the problem disappeared.

Back