• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 Rebuild

2000bluexj

NAXJA Forum User
Searched but could find much information on the front output bearing. I need to replace the rear bearing for the front output. The book says I need a special tool. Anyone done it without? Maybe a small internal puller of some kind?

What exactly do you mean by the rear bearing for the front output? Are you talking about the big ball bearing that fits around the outside of the splined portion of the sun fear and is held to the aluminum case of the transfer case? If so I always remove the inner snap ring, drop out the planetaries, remove the outer snap ring, then use a little piece of 3/4" thick wall PVC as a punch to tap the bearing out.
Or are you talking about the little roller bearing found inside of the sun gear? If thats the bearing your talking about, I'm not sure how to remove it, but I would think it would take a special tool.

Here found this:
http://4x4trailhunters.com/tech/article.php?id=20

Steps four and five should help you with removing part 12

I assume your refering to front axle "output" shaft and the rear-most needle bearing.While it wont be much fun,you can get it out with hand tools(you will destroy the bearing though)!

I love typing responses and then having the NAXJA server burp on me. :badpc:

At any rate ... the bearing that suppots the back half of that front output shaft can be a bugger to remove. First, I will pry the cage out (destroying it) and collect all the needles that fall. Then, I usually use a torch (oxy-acet) to hear the aluminum around it. You can use MAP gas if that's all you have. Get it warm ... but don't scorch it. I find a slide hammer with 2 or 3 jaws work best to yank the remains out of the bore. Work quickly .. and you should be able to tap the new bearing in before the aluminum cools & contracts.

As for the bearing inside the input gear .... for all the cases I have rebuilt, I have only seen ONE of those two-piece assemblies. Every other kit has been a single plug/bearing unit. Either way ... some gentle tapping with a hammer & punch will remove it. If you want to be safe .. .measure how deep it is installed (there is no shoulder to stop you) that way you can tap the new one to the correct depth.

Have fun.

Joe

Dont have a slide hammer. I was thinking of making a tool similar to the dealer tool to remove it. Basically a pulle that fits all the way in the bore, expands to grab the bearing then pulls it out. Im thinking of a coupler nut for the body and a bolt and some steel for the "jaws"

I'd be a little leery of any kind of puller that encorporates a screw to apply tension.

I have yet to see it ... but have heard of people punching that back wall out when using a puller. That alone was enough to make me start using a slide hammer years ago.

Like I said earlier ... heat will help (and would reduce the chance of punching thru).

Joe

Im going to make the "puller" push against the inside of the case. Not the thin back side of the bearing. Im going to use allthread ther tighten a nut against a receiving socket to pull the bearing out

Is it possible to "fold" the outer race in on it self? Also, the input gear bearing... How to I get that one out. I think I read you can tap punch it out, but i dont think it would be possible

Is it possible to "fold" the outer race in on it self? Also, the input gear bearing... How to I get that one out. I think I read you can tap punch it out, but i dont think it would be possible

Blue ... I assume you mean to pull the outer shell/race from the wall and just try to pull it out? It's harder to do than it looks because o fthe bend/flange that is used to keep the needles & race in place.

As for the one inside the input gear .... yes ... it just taps out with a punch. Push the bearing out from the small side (so it pops out on the tooth end of the gear instead of the snout). Before you do so ... take a measurement so you can install it at close to the same height again.

Joe

I brought mine to a local Transmission Shop and they had special tools to pull it with. I thought it was safer than beating on my case all afternoon and risk damaging something that can't be replaced...

Last edited:
Fill the hole with grease and use the front output shaft and a mallet and tap the shaft down into the hole. It will force the bearing out just like removing a pilot bearing from the end of a crankshaft.

You need to have a pretty tight seal for that trick to work. If you don't, the grease will just ooze out of any gap. But, yah, it's a good trick to know.

Holy old thread. Ill see if i can find the tool i made. Bascially I took a Long nut, cit it in half the long way, then welded a washer to the bottom. When you thread in a bolt it spreads out the washers under the bearing. Put a nut on the end with a socket to press onto and out it came.

Back