• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not so long long arms.

Goatman said:
Yeah, chalk and string on the garage floor. :D

That's how I did mine. Compare angles and ground clearance with various lengths and mounting positions.

You know, three months ago I might not have believed this.

Having wrenched in your garage a couple of times now, I can see the image clearly in my head. And worse, I can picture a spool of bailing wire sitting on the floor next to you, and it all seems perfectly ok to me.

Phil said:
The key is to get your arms longer than your tires are tall. Mine are 38.5"...just in case.

Key to what?

:D

SkyChi said:
Can ya run that by me again with a little more detail? :geek:

My longarms are 38.5" from the bolt on the axle to the bolt at the crossmember.

My tires are 35" in diameter.

If I was running 40" tires, I would need at least 41" long arms.

Although, the center of my crossmember hangs down an inch below the bottom of the frame.

Phil........and the reasoning for this is?

Goatman said:
Phil........and the reasoning for this is?

...just to troll.

Crash made a crossmember for me, and when we mounted it to the transmission, that's how long the arms were. They do triangulate a bit, maybe 6-8" apart at the crossmember.

But, the crossmember only hangs down an inch below a flat belly under the tranny pan, and it's flush at the edges.

IMO, the concern over lack of ground clearance over using long-arms off of the crossmember is overrated. The fact that all longarm applications I've seen are designed for 4.5" + lift, meaning tires at least in the 33"-35" range, renders the ground clearance point all but moot. At that lift and with tires that size, there really shouldn't be much if any issue with ground clearance, unless you've got some wicked tall drop-brackets in conjunction with the LA setup. You'd need to be among some really huge rocks to have the typically designed LAs hang up regularly on whatever trail you're wheeling.

fubar XJ said:
IMO, the concern over lack of ground clearance over using long-arms off of the crossmember is overrated. The fact that all longarm applications I've seen are designed for 4.5" + lift, meaning tires at least in the 33"-35" range, renders the ground clearance point all but moot. At that lift and with tires that size, there really shouldn't be much if any issue with ground clearance, unless you've got some wicked tall drop-brackets in conjunction with the LA setup. You'd need to be among some really huge rocks to have the typically designed LAs hang up regularly on whatever trail you're wheeling.

No one here ever wheels on big rocks. :/

If that logic were solid, no one would lift bigger than ~4.5, as thats enough clearance for 35's and if you trimmed enough maybe 37's..? ;)

cal said:
No one here ever wheels on big rocks. :/

If that logic were solid, no one would lift bigger than ~4.5, as thats enough clearance for 35's and if you trimmed enough maybe 37's..? ;)

I absolutely get what you're saying, I just have yet to see a LA kit that hangs the arms in a particularly low setting. The one's I've seen tuck them up reasonably, to where you will only hit them with driver error.

But like anything else, experiences differ. I may hit mine on the trail at some point, and my opinion may change.

fubar XJ said:
I absolutely get what you're saying, I just have yet to see a LA kit that hangs the arms in a particularly low setting. The one's I've seen tuck them up reasonably, to where you will only hit them with driver error.

But like anything else, experiences differ. I may hit mine on the trail at some point, and my opinion may change.

Oh, I get what you're saying too - I'm just playin devils advocate because some ass woke me up at 5am EST (i'm from california..) to run halfway accross new york city and unlock a freaking closet he already had keys to, leaving me in a pissy mood. :/

fubar XJ said:

My comments are from years of experience, and wheeling trails with plenty of rocks. I've seen many examples of folks getting hung up on low hanging long arms and crossmembers. I've also seen the evolution of long arm design where they are tucked up nicely and work very well.

So many times on the trail what stops us is ground clearance rather than not enough traction. We put on lifts and bigger tires to gain clearance, so why then loose it with the design of the lift? We can have it both ways......bigger tires, more lift, and more clearance.......if we choose to.

Back