• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Northern VA and MD wheelin spots?

Brian82

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to meet up with some jeep buddies of mine for some wheelin and camping between Portsmouth, VA and NJ. Any recommendations? :piratefla

Where in NJ are you? I'm in Malaga, near vineland, and just returned yesterday from an event in southern VA. There are some other areas of interest down there I may be able to point you in the right direction.
Rich

Where in NJ are you? I'm in Malaga, near vineland, and just returned yesterday from an event in southern VA. There are some other areas of interest down there I may be able to point you in the right direction.
Rich

Oh ok, I'm up in Sea Bright. Ive been down towards you many of times for some light wheelin in Wharton. I have a buddy who is down in Portsmouth and we wanted to meet somewhere in the middle for some early November wheeling and camping. Doesn't have to be in the middle per say but, but i would like to keep it close to no more than a 6 hour drive from Jersey. Any suggestions would be great. Plus we will have our kids, so a little drive south to follow some of the warmer weather wouldn't be bad either.

Last edited:
How old are your kids? Mine are 8 and 6 and love to go wheeling too.

I'd be interested in a wheeling trip in VA as well.

Mine are 9 & 4. I was looking at the George Washington national forest area, potts run, and another name i forget. Has anyone wheeled there before?

:piratefla

Potts is a great trail. I've ran it 4 times. It's easy enough that you can drive 6 hours and not worry about trashing your rig, but there are still some optional obstacles that are more difficult.

There's also some cool stuff in the George Washington National Forest. Also, Crabtree Falls might kind of be on the way for you. No wheeling there any more (I think it's all gated), but it's a cool hike down to the falls. You could try posting in the Southeast chapter, might get some more responses there.

Potts is a great trail. I've ran it 4 times. It's easy enough that you can drive 6 hours and not worry about trashing your rig, but there are still some optional obstacles that are more difficult.

There's also some cool stuff in the George Washington National Forest. Also, Crabtree Falls might kind of be on the way for you. No wheeling there any more (I think it's all gated), but it's a cool hike down to the falls. You could try posting in the Southeast chapter, might get some more responses there.

Thanks for the Info, is there any camping spots near Potts trail. ? and i'll give this a shot in the Southeast chapter too.

Not to hi jack this thread but I'd be interested in a GWNF run late October early November and I know a few others that would be too.

Post up solid dates and location and see how much interest is generated. I'd be in for a long weekend trip. I'm located near Dover, DE.

I'd love to do a gwnf run, unfortunately my schedule is packed around that time this year. Good to see some responses here, that area has been underserved. I really only saw one NAXJA guy down at Oak Ridge this year, some other posts were right on the money about checking out the southeast chapter they may have more presence there. There is a lot of club activity in Virginia, be it tidewater4wheelers, VA4WDA, or Capitol City. I need to reach out more.
Rich

Potts mountain closes during the winter normally around Dec 1. And reopens around April 1. They just opened up some new obstacles and I plan on hitting it Oct 18 with my local club.

Shoe Creek(crabtree) is all bUT closed. The land in the middle I gated because it is private property.

Hey Rich glad to see you made it home in one piece. Sorry you had ride behind me at Oakridge. BUT hey atleast you won a tape measure.

Back