• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noobfest feeler thread

I'd be interested, schedule allowing. I suppose it'll also have to be figured out who will teach what and so forth, otherwise it could end up as a XXXX-measuring contest between experienced wheelers with different ideas on how, why, and when to do certain things.

As far as the question asked earlier about picking a line, there are a couple of basic rules I always use.

1. Stay on the trail. Not as basic as it would seem, some folks like blasting around established trailbeds searching for traction or trying to impress their buddies.

2. Follow the ruts. Some trails you have almost no choice on the line you pick, unless you want to be in violation of rule number 1. The ruts will often help you hold a sidehill, and are there for a reason, because almost every other rig that came up the trail found traction there.

3. Controlled momentum is your friend. Many lines simply aren't crawlable in most rigs, you'll need a wee bit of momentum going up them. Learn the difference between hammer-down and controlled momentum, it'll save you busted parts and possible injury.

4. Keep the tires on high ground. In a boulder field or wide rutted line, usually the best line is keeping the tires atop the highest part of the obstacles. In the rocks, this means picking a line that flexes you through atop stable rocks, keeping the large rocks under your tires and not dragging your undercarriage relieving you of your muffler or t-case.

There's more, but those are a couple of basics.

All of these ideas sound great, I really wish that I had been to a noobfest last year. For the past few months I have been picking up on most of the stuff here through some of the more experienced members. John I would be willing to help out anyway I can, and am always open to learning some new things.

-Alex

Ba-Riedo said:
All of these ideas sound great, I really wish that I had been to a noobfest last year. For the past few months I have been picking up on most of the stuff here through some of the more experienced members. John I would be willing to help out anyway I can, and am always open to learning some new things.

-Alex

N00bfest last year really wasn't a lot of teaching more just easy wheeling. Ryan did give a good lesson on how to purge a hydrolocked engine after somebody took the wrong line in the mud lake.

Alex and Joe, both of you drove really well at Naches. I think you can shed the tag of "noobs" at this point.

Did you address your radiator yet, Burrito-Boy?

fubar XJ said:
Alex and Joe, both of you drove really well at Naches. I think you can shed the tag of "noobs" at this point.

Did you address your radiator yet, Burrito-Boy?

Thank you, and I am ordering an all aluminum one from jeeptricks motorsports http://www.jeeptricks.com/MAIN3-31.htm

Should be here in a few days, but until I get that done and new leaf spring bushings I will not be wheeling. I put in new centering pins (and U bolts) and had my spring perches re welded at Johns yesterday.

-Alex

IXNAYXJ said:
I don't think John's question was what to teach or the format of the event, but who would be interested in paticicpating. Those who are interested in helping put the thing on can communicate and iron out the details in a nother thread or via PM.

So, who would be interested in attending such an event?

-----Matt-----

Oh goody! More Shadow Chapter planning and decision making!!

P.S. It's participating.

Man i would love to attend something like that, since most my wheeling was in a full size and just blasting through the mud. However this weekend being the 4th of July weekend i have other "events" ;) but i might be able to make some time if there is a set time and place. I learned alot at NWFest but i think something formal might help reinforce what i learned by watching.

-Ed

GinisKratos said:
Man i would love to attend something like that, since most my wheeling was in a full size and just blasting through the mud. However this weekend being the 4th of July weekend i have other "events" ;) but i might be able to make some time if there is a set time and place. I learned alot at NWFest but i think something formal might help reinforce what i learned by watching.

-Ed

It will defiently not be for a few more weeks at the earliest.

-Alex

I would love to attend, but let me pay some backed up bills first....

I'm up to my eyeballs in debt since I lost my job at NAPA last year....

Thank god I have this new job......

IXNAYXJ said:
I don't think John's question was what to teach or the format of the event, but who would be interested in paticicpating. Those who are interested in helping put the thing on can communicate and iron out the details in a nother thread or via PM.

So, who would be interested in attending such an event?

-----Matt-----

I would be interested.

nates94xj said:
so...... when is Noobfest? Is it a "Notfest"?

Is noobfest going to happen?

I posted up dates and received 3 or 4 replies. I kind of thought that interest had waned.
If the interest is up, then yes, I can do it. It will be at Tahuya, meet at 0800, classes, trails, classes, then home.

Let me know, and we'll see what we can drum up.

John

I could make Reiter or, even better, Walker Valley. Tahuya is a bit far flung for me. Beggars can't be choosers though:)

Well I'm doing the work party this weekend...but next weekend?

Next Saturday I have a Formal Ball to attend. Mandatory. I plan to get wasted and make a fool of myself in front of the guys I've served with for the last 4 years. Sunday will be out because I'll be nursing a hangover from Saturday.

John

Back