• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Sway Bar Club......

NRT_Chris said:
Sorry Gimm :)
dont apologize bro i just dont want to see people get worked up over nothing. even if you beat people in the face and tell them all day long removing your swaybar is dangerous, they are still going to do it. i think the anti-rock swaybar is a badass product, and its nice to see some of that tech that the big boys have had for years is finally working its way down to the consumer level. on the other hand, people have been pulling thier swaybars off for years. maybe Tony just wants to find out how many of us nutjobs with no swaybar are out there trying to kill eachother :D

Im not saying that its to dangerous to take it off im saying your jeep will work better with one.

Last word, Grimm you can have it... Ha ha

No hard feelings

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=2862

Meh, not something I'd drop the coin on, to have a barely noticeable difference on road. I think if anything, run disco's, the anti-rock doesn't provide enough performance for the street, and still hinders it enough offroad, to make me think you're getting the almost the worst of both worlds. It's not great at either, but it's a middle ground.

I'm with the guys who say correct shock valving and good springs will take control of most of it. Don't get me wrong, I believe in sway bars, just not on something like my Jeep.

I think this thread is good, so some people get a little fired up, cool, nothing wrong with a little dialog!

One question I would ask to those that think a Jeep would perform better with no Anti-Rock or like product? Why is it when I watch the pro Rock Crawlers run, Its all I see, front and rear? I am new to The "Rock Thing" But it does not limit Droop or articulation, just controls it, slows it down, gives you a feeling of control, Maybe I am full of shit, and thats ok.

Damn, I didn't bother to read this thread, it was already too long when I answered Tony's question, but I just went back and read some of it. I know a bunch of you guys were simply being honest and answering the question. However, just for one more useless opinion, I've run what some of you guys are posting that you don't run a sway bar, and definitely ran one with that setup. I see a bunch of rigs listed that in my opinion should be running a sway bar on the street. I don't care how carefree or pissed off anyone gets, or how the direction of this thread goes, some of you guys should put that sway bar back on for your street driving. Nothing personal, and no names mentioned, you know yourself if you'd be better off with it. There's nothing cool about being better off with one and not running it. Sloppy handling with a lifted 4x4 is not OK.

The problem here is that there is a wide discrepancy in what is acceptable handling. Some of you have handling standards that are too low.

As for the anti-rock, whether you're better off with or without one depends on what you do with your rig and how you're setup. If you mostly pre-run, I can really see it. If you're setup relatively soft for mostly trail work, it could also be an advantage. Some of us are set up relatively firm for great trail stability and hauling ass to and from the trail, and while we maybe would get a benefit from it while hauling ass it's not necessary on the trail. I've had setups where it would have been good, but the way I am now I don't want one. Most trail guys use it to add stability, if they need it. If you already have good stability, it's just no benefit.

Many comp rigs and rock crawlers run soft slinky suspensions that lack great stability, so they tend to lean on sidehills and off camber situations. The anti-rock type sway bars help this situation. Especially on a comp rig stability is important because of all the crazy positions they get into. However, if you look at most of the moon buggy type rigs, which have gravitated towards running 3 links front and rear, they use very high track bar placement to create a very high roll center which provides enough stability and most don't run sway bars.

Another thing is the shock setup. Many guys have started out running coils, which are slinkyer than leafs and many times require a sway bar, then they went to coilovers without tenders which pushed up too much on the uphill side making them unstable so they used sway bars, then guys started running air shocks which are inherently less stable and can push up more than coilovers so they really needed sway bars. Now guys are learning to run tenders on the coilovers and better tuning on the valving and springs, setup to also go faster because of the rock racing, and they've learned much more about setting up their air shocks. There are also more rigs built with high roll centers and a lot more three links.

My buggy has VERY high track bars and roll centers and I've had a number of people who know what they're doing comment on how incredibly stable it is. Well, I built it to be that way (luckily it worked ;)) and it has no use for a sway bar.

On my rig, with the TnT Y-link setup, I've noticed that the anti-rock setup forces the rear suspension to flex more, creating a more balanced rig.......plus I'm commuting in my Jeep and it's very comfortable when I have to make an evasive move at freeway speeds. The difference on the road is night and day.

No sway bars on my 94 XJ. It has a BB and 33's. Also not a daily driver.

I had no sway bars on my 2000 XJ either. 6.5" RK LAs on 35's. Leaned a little but was not to bad.

Back