• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no starting after 99 intake upgrade

When I installed a 99 intake on a 7120 head along with Doug Thorley headers (ordered for a 96) there was one exhaust runner that touched the intake. Sorry can't remember which. I ended up switching to a different gasket (possibly a thinner Felpro one instead of the thicker one that came with the header) which allowed a bit of space but I think that was on #4 or 5.

Here are pictures of the top and side of the #6 area. Not sure what parts would interfere except maybe that wing sticking out from the intake runner? You can see the gap between the #6 intake and the #6 exhaust flanges and other than the metal wing thing they don't appear to be anywhere near each other.
Perhaps the APN header is shaped differently?

2651202035_3836d1391a_o.jpg

2652027778_39ee9a9af5_o.jpg

sjkimmel99 said:
Here are pictures of the top and side of the #6 area. Not sure what parts would interfere except maybe that wing sticking out from the intake runner? You can see the gap between the #6 intake and the #6 exhaust flanges and other than the metal wing thing they don't appear to be anywhere near each other.
Perhaps the APN header is shaped differently?

Yep, the APN is setup a bit differently than the Thorley. Here's the thread I found when I was prepping for my own intake/header install. Made things a good bit simpler for me- only applies to APN headers, I think.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81189&highlight=intake

and the linked page with the useful pics

http://www.wiedenman.com/pub/intake/

I must have got lucky. My APN & new intake went on fine. No grinding needed. JIM.

I didn't have a prob w/ the 99 intake on the 96 head w/ a Borla header and don't have issues w/ it on the 94 head either--some exhaust manifolds/headers might have more material that cause the clearance issues.

Back