• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no start?

so i replaced the filter didn't work. now im thinking that there is a clog in the pump because when i turn the key to on with the hose disconnected nothings comming out but i still hear the buzzing...HELP please and i was trying to take the pump out but it will not budge

Gotta love working on these things. . . I have to replace my pump since the sending unit only tells me how much gas I have when it really feels like it. I'll just stay tuned for pump removal tips.

Albino Krikit: I concur with birchlakeXJ, you're close to having it figured out and fixed, so stay with it!

yeah i just need to figure out how to get the dadgum thing out its not even budging i wonder if there is a special tool out there that i would be able to use...

It is possible for the pump to still be making noise, but not pumping fuel, so your best bet is to just replace the pump. If you want to replace it with the tank still in the keep, first make sure you have less than half a tank of fuel so it won't pour out when you remove the pump. I like to clamp the pressure and return lines, but this isn't completely necessary. A small bit of gas will probably come out when you disconnect them. Also disconnect the eletrical plug located between the tank and fuel filter.
Now you just have to take out the pump unit. There is a metal lock ring around where the pump goes into the tank, you will have to spin it until it unlocks. It's hard to explain, but pretty straightforward if you just get under there and look at it. The best way to get it to spin is with a flat screwdriver on one of the tabs and then tap it with a hammer. It should turn counterclockwise around 1/2 turn and then release. Now you can pull the pump and float out. I like to switch over one part at a time so I can be sure it's assembled just like the old pump.

The hardest part it probably putting it back in the tank. Be sure it's oriented the same as when you took it out so the fuel float will work correctly. There should be a new seal ring with the fuel pump that will go between the tank and pump to seal it. You'll need to press it against the tank and and get that metal ring lined up again, then tap it with a hammer again until it's locked down. Holding the pump against the tank hard enough to get all 3 tabs lined up and spun is a lot easier with two people. Don't beat on the ring too hard, it will bend, and then you'll have to take it out and straighten again. Good luck!

xj2win said:
It is possible for the pump to still be making noise, but not pumping fuel, so your best bet is to just replace the pump. If you want to replace it with the tank still in the keep, first make sure you have less than half a tank of fuel so it won't pour out when you remove the pump. I like to clamp the pressure and return lines, but this isn't completely necessary. A small bit of gas will probably come out when you disconnect them. Also disconnect the eletrical plug located between the tank and fuel filter.
Now you just have to take out the pump unit. There is a metal lock ring around where the pump goes into the tank, you will have to spin it until it unlocks. It's hard to explain, but pretty straightforward if you just get under there and look at it. The best way to get it to spin is with a flat screwdriver on one of the tabs and then tap it with a hammer. It should turn counterclockwise around 1/2 turn and then release. Now you can pull the pump and float out. I like to switch over one part at a time so I can be sure it's assembled just like the old pump.

The hardest part it probably putting it back in the tank. Be sure it's oriented the same as when you took it out so the fuel float will work correctly. There should be a new seal ring with the fuel pump that will go between the tank and pump to seal it. You'll need to press it against the tank and and get that metal ring lined up again, then tap it with a hammer again until it's locked down. Holding the pump against the tank hard enough to get all 3 tabs lined up and spun is a lot easier with two people. Don't beat on the ring too hard, it will bend, and then you'll have to take it out and straighten again. Good luck!

the only problem im having right now is the metal ring is not even budging even with a hard hit with the hammer what should i do...WD-40 or hit it even harder?

I'd try PB Breaker or some other penetrating spray. Let it soak for a bit and try again. Removing that ring is the only way in, so if worse comes to worse you can beat the crap out of it and get another one, but I don't know that to be too common of a part, so it might take some looking to find another one. You could probably do without the ring to limp it home, that'd probably be a lot easier to work on.

haha i actually got it home last night and pushed it into the gurage im gonna go try to beat the hell out of it and see if it will still work

hallijuah got er' done. hooked everything back up and it started up after a couple seconds of crankin and i could rev the engine thank you everyone for your help now just gotta clean the gurage

Back