• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no start

RenegadeT

NAXJA Forum User
just looking for ideas here why this XJ won't start...
new-to-me 95 XJ 4.0L/auto/NP231. Its been fine for a few weeks, started right up without issue or hesitation. Yesterday, I got nothing.

no response from the key, no clicking, no start, no nothing. Lights seem bright, PW work great, 12V on dash voltmeter. Handheld voltmeter show 12.6V at the battery.

Removed battery cables from battery, cleaned them up, tighted back on terminals.

I opened the underhood relay center and swapped starter relay and ABS relay...no change.

Hooked up jumper cables to my other 99XJ, only change was the dash voltmeter showed over 14V.

I took the starter off and will have it tested at the parts store.

Am I overlooking anything easy? Can I flash codes on a 95 XJ?...

thanks. I feel dumb for not trying to start whilke in N. I ran thru all the gears several times, but I think I always returned to Park when trying to start.

Starter tested out good. I will reinstall and try in Neutral today. I will look more at the NSS.

Would it throw any codes with a bad NSS (1995 XJ)?

Your back up lights might not work if its out also. And if it is the NSS and your back up lights dont work even after fixing it then check your fuse box for "trans" fuse 7.5 amp. If its blown lights wont work as well. Either way if it is your NSS you can take it off and clean it and save some $ from buying a new one.

I just went thru all this on my rig (1990 model). Below is a site i went to with some good drawings and such if you havent messed with them before.

http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1i/bl713i.htm

Back