• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start... cranks though

Ok.

12 volt to positive primary side of coil, trigger ground from PCM to negative primary side of coil--it will either fire if the coil is good or not fire if the coil is bad.

You have confirmed 12 volts to the positive primary side of the coil. Determine if the triggering negative is being sent from the PCM and if its reaching the negative primary side of the coil.

I'm not sure if i'm following correctly.

One side of the coil plug (2 pins) is getting 12 volts. The other side gets nothing until cranking. When Cranking I couldn't get a solid reading but it was changing.

Well an update...

I decided to go out and clean every electrical connection and throw some di-electric grease on it just as preventive maintenance... figured I'd give it a turn at the end to see if i wiggled something right... no dice.

So my neighbor came by and asked what I was up to, told him still working on it. He brought over his Snap-On diag tool, and we hooked it up. He said it reported no RPM, and to replace the CPS.

Since I already have replaced the CPS, what are the chances that the one I replaced it with was bad? I did buy the "cheaper" of the two. Thinking I will go to PickNPull and pick up a couple CPS's and throw them in to see if the CPS is bad... If the CPS is fine, where should I look next?

I buy my crank sensors at the dealership, the cheap ones seem to fail with an uncomfortable frequency.

Back