• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No power steering at idle after Durango box upgrade

I put on a brand new pump, hoses and a reman'd box and had ok steering, but not what I thought I would have after the upgrade. I even had a local garage bleed the entire system to make sure I didn't screw that up. After about a month, the box blew out a seal and I exchanged it for a new box. It was night and day difference. I can 1 finger the steering wheel at idle on pavement while parked with 31s.

Long story longer, try a new box. :D

Update:
After fudging with this issue for a week now...
What ive discovered is after sitting over night
I have completely perfect steering but after about 5 mins of driving I lose all steering unless im on the throttle. Im guessing im getting air in my system some how.

Just looked in the reservoir... im seeing metal flakes and not too much movement of the fluid. Im thinking
The pump crapped out (3rd one, 2nd new one) leading me to believe the steering box was no good from the beginning and is making the pumps go bad

It's actually pretty common for steering gears and pumps to die a swift death due to fluid contamination from their predecessor's long, natural death. The bearing / case / vane material and everything else gets slowly chewed up and the grit stays in the fluid. A new pump or box goes in and won't survive for long. I've read tech service bulletins to that effect from at least one manufacturer, think it was Volvo.
The solution here, I think, is to remove the pump and lines. Use the pump as a core and replace your lines. Put a power steering filter in the return line from box back to pump. Top up new pump with fresh, clean fluid.

Stupid Ego... Holds me back or at least makes me fight to do tasks that are usually not difficult to the outside prespective. I guess this thread was more of a false hoping that this box wasn't bad... Finally came to the realism and am gonna change everything to avoid any/all variables.

I just went through all of this. Fresh box and pump and blow out the lines with shop air and it was good to go.

Back