• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NJ State Inspection (w/lift)

scarface

NAXJA Member #716
Hello all:

I am looking to find some info on the NJ state inspection. I have just got my XJ road worthy again... Her Inspection (bought) had lapsed since last January. This time I was thinking of going through the state. I just trimmed and put TJ fender flares on, they cover the tread of my 33's.

I have searched all over the NJ DMV page and even sent them an email through "contact us" but have yet to hear anything.

I have ~ 4-5 " of lift and am on 33"s.

What I am I going to have to look out for?
I already know that I will have to make an attachment for my exhaust as it dumps right above my rear axle (so it won't get smashed in on rocks)

but what else would I have to worry about?

anyone have any experience going through the state inspection w/ a lifted vehicle?

thanks for the info...

Last edited:
IIRC, the state will do a stability test and thorough inspection of your aftermarket components. Only certain stations do this, the closest to you being in rural Camden County (I forget the name of the town, it is about 15 or 20 minutes from Williamstown.) PM Gearwhine for specifics, he went through it with his XJ.

just got off of the phone with the DMV...
they stated that anything above 4" or greater from manufacturer spec must go through the lift inspection.

for future reference there measurement for a stock '96 cherokee is 26" from the ground to the bottom of the drivers side door.

I'll have to check to see what I am sitting at.

It is anything over 4" gets a stability test. my friend also said that you can't have anything 8" or 10" over stock tire height. I am not to sure about this being a law anymore.
On this same note does anyone know the doorless law around here? is it legal/ do I need mirrors? any of that stuff.

Here’s how NJ laws affect your XJ.

1) Total combined lift (lift + tires) can't exceed 9 inches on an XJ. With 4-5 of lift and 33's you will be fine :).

2) Tires can't exceed 6 over OE sized tires. For an XJ that's 35's.

3) Tires size (actual height) is measured, not rated size (E.G. a 35 may actually be a 34, etc).

4) Entire suspension will be reviewed. They pay close attention to your steering (understandably).

5) Your bumpers will be measured at their lowest point. Overall height measurement is taken at the door sill (on an XJ).

There are only 3 specialty inspections stations in Jersey that perform 'high rise' inspections (combined with tilt tests). These are located in Morristown, Asbury Park and Windslow. Asbury Park seems to be the preferred location now. Windslow was considered the best until recently. A lead tech their moved to a different division. Don’t even consider Morristown, they are real pains!!

You must make an appointment which normally lasts between 45 to 60 minutes. The inspector will go over the entire rig. I’ve heard stainless steel brake lines won’t pass, but I had no problem with this at Winslow in August.

Other miscellaneous things to be aware of:

You can only have a 'total' of two sets of auxiliary lights. So if you had 2 sets up front and work lights in the rear, you will fail. I've never had a problem (yet) with rock lights being included in this limitation.

I recently heard heim joints are frowned upon, not sure if this true.

I've heard coilovers are also frowned upon, but haven't been able to verify.

Tires must be fully covered by flares with mud flaps.

As for the tilt test; Your truck will be weighed providing 3 weights. (total weight, driver and passenger side weights). You will then drive it onto a 15 degree ramp. The weight transfer is then calculated. The weight transfer magic number is 62.4%.

Here’s a great recent thread with a photo of the Winslow tilt test ramp.
http://www.the-jersey-devil.com/bbs...r=49252&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

I’ve been through high rise two times so far never having a problem. Doing your research and knowing what they expect is the key. In August I passed with a 6.5 inch lift, 35’s (35x13.5’s). I’m pretty close to the limit, but I've always had good experiences.

Here is a more complete list of requirements.

(1) Steering gear ratios and steering wheel left stop to right stop turns must be within 1/2 turn of the original manufacturers specifications.

(2) Headlights shall be mounted no lower than 22" nor more than 54" above the ground.

(3) Taillights shall be mounted no lower than 15" nor more than 72" above the ground.

(4) Off road lights must be covered while operating on public roads.

(5) License plates must be mounted no less than 12" nor more than 48" above the ground.

(6) Brake lines and hoses must be protected from excess heat and vibration. They must be mounted in a manner to prevent chafing, undue wear, stress, or unintentional disconnection.

(7) Vehicles originally equipped with bumpers must have them securely fastened, no less then 16" from the ground to the bottom of the bumper, and shall extend the full width of the vehicle.

(8) Maximum tire diameter allowed will be 38" or 6" over stock, whichever is less.

(9) All tires must be the same size. Maximum tire pressure as stated on tire is recommended. Front tires must be at least 60% of the tread width of the rear tires.

(10) Front fenders must extend over the full width of the tire tread. Rear tires that are not covered by the fender or other body parts must be equipped with metal protectors or flexible flaps that prevent dirt, debris and water from being thrown.

(11) Exposed fuel tanks must be encased. Side mounted tanks must have a protective bar to prevent rupture.

(12) Exposed exhaust system components and moving parts must be shielded.

(13) Ballast must be securely mounted.

(14) Releasing the steering wheel in a sharp turn shall result in an increase in turning radius.

(15) Spacers to increase track width are prohibited.

(16) Maximum lift heights for GVWR 4500 lbs and under... 7" above original vehicle height.

(17) Maximum lift heights for GVWR 4501 - 7500 lbs... 9" above original vehicle height.

(18) Maximum lift heights for GVWR 7501 - 10,000 lbs... 11" above original vehicle height.

(19) No blocks are allowed on the front suspension.

(20) All credentials are to be up to date.

Hope this helps,
Kent :)

Thanks for all of the info!

I just measured and my driverside door is actually sitting @ like 27" so I am not sure exactly where the 26" (+/- 4") that the DMV has on file, but according to there rule, I don't need to go to the specialized lift inspection...

so until they tell me that I have to, I'm not.

now i just need to worry about the exhaust dumping out outside of the body.

scarface

xj4fun said:
(10) Front fenders must extend over the full width of the tire tread. Rear tires that are not covered by the fender or other body parts must be equipped with metal protectors or flexible flaps that prevent dirt, debris and water from being thrown.

height.

(19) No blocks are allowed on the front suspension.
Hope this helps,

Let me get this right.

For the rear fenders/flares, as long as the rear fender flare covers the tire, I will not need a mudflap? or will I?

Front blocks? Do they mean spacers? I am running 2" front spacers on top of my lift springs.

TIA.

YMMV – I was confused on this as well as the verbiage is a bit vague :confused1.

I was told that any truck lifted enough to require high rise inspection (4 total inches for XJ’s) need mud flaps, no exceptions.

I was also told that the flaps need to be at least the width of the tire. So if you have wider tires, you may need to look around a bit (or make) a simple set of flaps.

I have always gone through with flaps.

Hope this helps,

Sorry didn't see the second question.

Blocks are solid metal rectangles placed between the leaf springs and axle.

You're front coil spacers should be fine. I’ve always gone through with front adjustable ACOS spaces never having a problem.

If they are measuring from the ground to the door, why not keep a set of 215's around for inspection? Does anyone do this?

because the put the tire size on the sticker. you get pulled over the see the size and it diffrent = trouble. most police don't know or care to check for it, of all the people that i knew that have been question were by the forest rangers

warpigxj summed it up perfectly :yelclap:.

People do this and get away it. I thought about doing this toou ntil a friend (who's an attorney) mentioned the potential legal ramifications.

If you are in an accident running larger tires then your documentation indicates, an attorney can use this as strong tool to prove you're liable for the accident.

The way I saw it, it was better to take a bit more time in the build and pass with the tires I really wanted to run.

21" is the standard 'stock' height, according to the last time I went through. This gives you a maximum of 30" to the bottom of the door which is very easy to stay within on 35s.

Asbury is the place to go these days. Dan Foley was the guy who used to run this stuff for the state, and he worked down at Winslow, and he was the 'go to' guy because he had a very resonable interpretation of the requirements. He'd usually allow +1" on the heights for 'spring settlement', etc. Then Asbury got some new people in, and Dan went up there to train them, and actually used my XJ as the test vehicle to run them through all the different parts of the inspection. This was his last contribution as he was then moved to be in charge of a mobile inspection unit.

Basically, Morristown is just a waste of time, Winslow is predominantly assholes now from all accounts I've heard, and Asbury is the place to go. I failed the first time through for a worn tie rod end and a loose swaybar bushing, which are both reasonable things. They'll have a few guys watch everything on the front end as you move the steering wheel back and forth, and they'll jack the tires off the ground individually to check ball joints and hub bearings. You'll also have to pass all the standard braking and safety equipment checks although they don't dyno-test lifted vehicles, and they don't test shocks either.

I passed with no e-brake. Not sure if I should have but they didn't say anything about it.

I'm also looking into the semantic differences between a 'reconstructed vehicle' and a 'modified height vehicle'. Reconstructed is what covers those oddball conversions of Caprices on 4x4 frames, or dune buggies, that sort of thing. It's a different sort of title and registration and you'd lose the 'clean title' of a regular registered rig, even a lifted one. But, from everything I've read, it seems as though they look at it as a whole vehicle rather than a modified version of something else, so there's an entirely different group of standards etc. You can find the official definitions and procedures for all of this at your local library in the New Jersey Administrative Code, 13:20-37.3.

I'm currently in the process of trying to get mine through again. Should be an interesting experience. Not with these tires though.
http://www.phatserver.net/~chris/XJbuild/100306/front.JPG

Think they care about roll cages?

Hey Vette,
Two questions.

1) Were you able to determine what issues they would have with a cage? I would think their only concerns would be focused on visibility (e.g. tubes around the glass)?

2) Did you ever hear anything on whether the 6" over tire rule translated to running up to 35's or 36's on an XJ?

As I've said before, you have one of the best builds I've ever seen :shocked:

35's or 36's won't be a problem at all. I believe Mark G on here went through with a somewhat worn set of 38's on fullwidths recently...a "measured" 36 is what I believe the standard is currently, although it may depend on the individual inspector as to how they interpret things. Some UpCountry models came with a 235-ish metric size which can be loosely rounded up to 30".

I never did get any sort of answer regarding the cage. I'm not up til November for re-inspection, and though I've been driving it around occasionally (about 700 miles since April), I've got a lot of work to do before it'll come close to passing. It doesn't help that I keep making more work for myself by wheeling it hard and shattering the windshield (see avatar).

Vette,
Cool.. Thanks for the info.. So tire size is actual measured, not rated (thought it rated), this is excellent! In calculating the 6 over ire rule, they use the largest tire available for that year across the trim packages? By this I mean If a 'Sport' had 215's and the Upcountry ran 235's, a Sport would be calculated based on the Upcountries tire package?

Based on the avatar, I'd say, yeah, cage time

Thanks again!!!

Back