• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

newer xj ???'s

JeepsterXJ said:
I assume that this is because power seats were gone? Why not just do a swap with one of the many Limited seats I see being parted - In case there was a newer one that you really liked.

We have power seats on our '01 Limited Upcountry, allows for adjustable driver & front passenger ride height. This might help for all the Stetson wearers out there.

JeepXJ93 said:
So other than the loss in ground clearance, when you say the gears arent as strong do you mean the actually physical characteristics of the gears or do you mean the ratio isnt as high?
The type of differentials used in the Cherokees were originally designed when all vehicles were rear wheel drive. The pinion is below the centerline of the axle -- "low pinion." The shape of the gears themselves is such that the teeth on the ring gear are stronger when the diff is operated in the forward direction, because of where the stress is transferred from the pinion to the ring gear.

Put the same differential on the front end, and it's facing the "wrong" direction -- operating in the opposite direction when the vehicle is moving forward. The high pinion front diff is stronger because the gears are flipped over and set up to run in the "strong" direction when the vehicle is going forward.

However, unless you intend to run very large tires or do extreme wheeling, this probably isn't much of a concern. ALL TJs use the low pinion front axle, and I believe all ZJs also used the low pinion front axle. Is the high pinion better? Sure -- but I would not let that be the overall deciding factor in choosing what year XJ to buy, or in choosing between (for example) a 1998 or a 2000.

jeepguy97 said:
O1s have low pinion Dana 30s.
everybody points this out like it's such a big deal but I have yet to see someone or hear someone who has had actual problems because of this. For those with smaller lifts and tires that is. If I was gonna run 33's or 35's I'd be looking for a 44 anyways. I have 3.5" of lift and 31's on my 2000 and it hasn't ever been an issue. Never even occurred to me untill I saw people badmouthing it on this board. I talked to the owner of the local offroad shop also about it and he says he's never had any problems with them untill the taller lifts went on (4.5 and up). And with a newer one you can get the 8.25 rearend which is far superior to the D35. Get a newer one and keep it longer. They don't make these anymore so I'd definately wanna get into the newest, nicest one I could afford. That's what I did in fact.

I was simply stating a fact so he would know it. Maybe he was planning on 4.5" inches of lift. You don't have to buy and "new" new one to get the 8.25. You can lift 4.5 inches and run 32s. You won't need a 44 but you may also have problems with the LP 30. I simply stated a problem that SOME see with the 00s and 01s because he asked. :moon:

LOL thanks guys, i dont want to spark a fight....i'm going to do exactly what the majority of responses have said and find the newest nicest one out there that i can afford then keep it that way for as long as i can....i only plan on doing a 3" lift and possible a 1/2" coil spacer and shackle extension...that is if spacers and shackles are beneficial...otherwise i dont plan on getting into the hobby of off roading enough to actually need anything more than a 3". My main goal is to easily do the trails that my stock xj struggled but managed to go through. W/ 3" and 31" tires, i can accomplish that w/ no problems....thanks again for all the info and hopefully i'll be able to post some pics of the new xj whenever i get my hands on one. Just for the record....in good condition being maybe a 8 out of 10 10 being perfect...what would you guys pay for a 2001 xj w/ 90k on it? (fully loaded, stock) Didnt look at it yet but the dealer who has it is asking 7995, i figure i'd offer 7 and go up to 7300 out the door? What do you guys think?

I just noticed your post about the ride height difference in the newer xj's. The classic sits about an inch higher than the other models, I don't know why, I've compared them side by side and haven't been able to see any obvious suspension differences but there is a height difference. I have a 99 classic with about 4" of lift. Be careful if you lift it, I found out the hard way that the newer models are very prone to vibration when you change the geometry. I went with a budget lift first, horrible vibration and death wobble. I then figured if I am going to have the replace the driveshaft, I may as well go higher. Just my .02 worth.

JeepsterXJ said:
I assume that this is because power seats were gone? Why not just do a swap with one of the many Limited seats I see being parted - In case there was a newer one that you really liked.
The '00 at work is a gov'ment rig: they don't give us power seats. What I've seen, from a '91 to a '93, a '96 and currently a '00 is that as the model year increases the head room decreases. I think, and I haven't actually measured anything, but just from looking at earlier vs. later models, I think that the roof has been gradually chopped over the years: maybe to save weight (less metal and glass)...maybe to decrease drag (cut down on x-section). All I know is, I don't fit in the later models.

The Stetson is part of my gov-issued uniform. I like to wear it in the rig cause I like to ride in the woods with the window open and the hat keeps my hair from gettin' all wind blown. Maybe I could talk them into installing a sun/moon roof. Then I could let my hat stick out the top. Otherwise, I have to lay the seat back and ride around like some pimp gangsta.

The good news is, I get to keep the XJ until '07 when it will go on auction (this year the USDA-FS will be auctioning some '97's). The bad news is, I have no idea what they will give me as a replacement. What's the chance of DC wising up by then and bringing back the XJ for '07. Sounds like I need to get busy on a letter campaign.

XJ Dreamin'
stock 2WD '93 XJ, 4.0L HO, AW4, D35c, LT 235/75R15 A/T's all 'round

Lawn Cher' said:
We have power seats on our '01 Limited Upcountry, allows for adjustable driver & front passenger ride height. This might help for all the Stetson wearers out there.
Trouble is, if I had a power seat and lowered it so the Stetson would fit, I don't think my elbow would be a proper height to rest comfortably on the window sill. I'm afraid there's no solution to staying with early '90's models. My '93 rides great. Both the hat and my elbow are at their proper height. Only problem at the moment is, my seat in my '93 is busted again (300#+ is hard on car seats). I wonder if the '00 seat is straight bolt-on job to '93. Since my '93 seat is already reclined (i.e. busted) it might be perfect for the low roof of the '00.

XJ Dreamin'

Lawn Cher' said:
We've got an '01 Limited also. I needed a Classic or Limited to get the power seats for my wife, all 4'10" of her. So now she can see a LITTLE more out the windsheild. Unfortunately, the power seats really don't go down low enough for me! I'm 6'2". It's been my experience with power seats (Audi as well as Jeep) that the motors under the seats usually make them sit a little higher. We got the manually height adjusted seats in our Audi for just that reason. They go Way down, and Way Up! I'm still really not quite as comfortable in the Jeep, but I'm constantly tinkering with it, rocking back a little, leaning seat back a litttle, but with my bad back, I tend to be very particular about my seating position. Right now, if my hair sticks up a little in the morning....I'm into the ceiling!

biscuitboy87 said:
i have a 00 sport...auto and stock.
but once in awhile the little power button lights go out. took a look, everything seems okay and since it only happens once every three months i can live with it.
Your power window lock out button is going out. next time take notice if it is every door but the driver's.

have a strange wobble at 55 to 60 mph (did all the balance castor toe things several times). the balancing (as eagle suggested) seems to work the best, but the Al rims dont seem to hold the weights very well...(get steel?)

What is your lift? What LCAs do youhave? I had a wobble like that. Replaced the stock LCAs with RE adjustables and it went away. Yes, my caster was good at 7*, and I left it that with the new LCAs.

-Chris

Back