• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

newer vehicles for XJ lovers?

MoonNerd

NAXJA Forum User
I'm just curious, what do XJ lovers do when they need a newer vehicle? Grand Cherokees? New model Cherokees? Wranglers? Land Rovers? I'd love to hear your preferences.

i actually started a thread like this a little bit ago...

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1112822

for me, i moved to a 95 discovery. is it a replacement for a XJ? absolutely not. it is nowhere near as simple, cheap, or bulletproof reliable as a XJ is. as far as newer vehicles go, the pro-4x xterra is something i have been eyeing up. japan's legendary reliability without the "toyota tax," and you can still get a 2014 model with 3 pedals.

for me, i moved to a 95 discovery. is it a replacement for a XJ? absolutely not. it is nowhere near as simple, cheap, or bulletproof reliable as a XJ is. as far as newer vehicles go, the pro-4x xterra is something i have been eyeing up. japan's legendary reliability without the "toyota tax," and you can still get a 2014 model with 3 pedals.

i dont think Nissans are known for their reliability anymore... i know craigslist is usually littered with late model Nissans with blown motors.

i dont think Nissans are known for their reliability anymore... i know craigslist is usually littered with late model Nissans with blown motors.

really? what motors? the VQ40DE in the xterra/frontier is a VQ35DE with a longer stroke... that's a direct family lineage of nissan's famously powerful/reliable V6.

I *really* like the Disco II, the cab layout, features, etc. all seem great. I'd specifically want a 2004. But man I just can't quite swallow the pill of owning a Rover.

To me the nearest replacement to the XJ is the JK unlimited.

04 DIIs are time bombs. the frames rust out faster than XJ floors, the 4.6 is a timebomb that tosses cylinder liners out of the heads, theres no factory center diff lock, and the ABS/traction control system can be a bitch to keep working correctly.

that being said, its a sweet truck when its working right. i got a cheap old D1 to avoid all that. my truck even has a regular distributer and coil unlike the newer OBDII D1s with the sometimes-intermittently-wonky coil-on-pack setup. owning a rover is cheap, you can get a blown up DII for a grand. but you'll be spending a LOT more to keep it on the road.

JKU... but something about a topless 4 door is just weird to me.. so I'd have to say a standard JK would be a good next step after an XJ, or along side of one.

Rubicon LJ

I need the four doors with kids. LJ is a good platform, though. I do like the 4.0 instead of the little V6.

The 4 doors are nice for the kids... but since we already have a mini-van and my XJ is our around town toy, I'll be shoe-horning them in a JK some day. I'm holding out for 2013+ with the better V6.

later 4.0s had oiling issues didnt they? and i'm tired of big heavy tires and a 4.0... even with 5.13s and a VERY healthy motor 190hp just isnt enough to move a 5000lb rig up big grades.

Wish I had not gotten rid of mine, seeing yours there Mitchell makes me want another one. Has to be the V8 though. However doesn't have to be the HO. In my searches the best WJ far and away is the 2004 Laredo with the optional V8 and no Auto-climate control. Will have the VariLok axles and 3.73 gears with the towing package. It's darn hard to find a nice one anymore though.

Back