• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newb with an Intro

Dozer11B

NAXJA Forum User
Wasn't sure where to post this, so if this is in the wrong spot smack me in the head with something close at hand.

I grew up in Arizona with a family that camped a lot in the Suprstition Mountain Wilderness Area.

Joined the army and after a couple of years in bought a 1987 Dodge Ramcharger with a bunch of lift, big tires, and front windshield sticker that said Joe Dirt (removed immediately). I sold it to a buddy due to a tour in Korea.

I came back from Korea and bought a 79 Ramcharger (full vert woot!), but it needed a lot of work (bought a new rear axle) and I shipped out to my first tour of Iraq 6 months later. Got back and went to install the new rear axle but it ended up being the wrong one so I got another one and once that was fixed the full time t-case was next for a rebuild.

Th unit came down on orders to move to Germany, and I could only take one car: The Liberty "Renegade" 2wd (Don't get mestarted- Mrs. Dozer traded in her Wrangler while I was in Korea as we were expecting our first daughter). I call it the Mothership. I mean seriously! How the hell does Jeep sell a 2wd Liberty in a RENEGADE package??????

Anyway Trying to sell the RC: It went up on eBay no less than 4 times due to back-out buyers, and one fraudulent buyer who sent me a fake check. After re-posting so many times (people started getting leary of it) it went for $385. I was rudhing to get rid of it at this point since I was so close to moving the entire family to Germany. I had nearly $5000 in this truck.

Well after my second tour to Iraq, the Liberty is paid off and the plan was to buy the wife a Commander. We now have 3, yes that's THREE daughters. I was gonna trade the Liberty in on some truck for me to play with, but the wife just recently told me she'll keep the Liberty (My oldest should upgrade to a booster soon so the fit will be less tight) and I can get a truck I want.

I thought of another Ramcharger, but the aftermarket is not too big for them and I thought of other fullsize trucks of the era, but with all the issues and hackjob stuff I've come across in my past purchases I was thinking against it.

Then I found an old Jp mag I had bought back in 03............ I forgot all about the XJs. I have had an affinity for the old box Cherokee. Throw a roof rack on, beef it up a bit, and I can pack the wife, all three kids, and the dog for a weekend of camping. The oldest one is getting to the point where she could appreciate it, the middle one will do whatever the oldest one does, and the baby don't care as long as she's got Mama's boob close by......... ama is gonna have a hard time though- she's only been camping twice.......:cry:

After lurking around here for the past few days, this place seems to have it all. Good folks (and lots of them- membership here is pretty big huh?), solid knowledge base (I will be needing some help), and lots of cool inspirational stories and trucks.

I should be coming up on orders and I talked to the folks who need talking to,and I should be able to get stationed either at Ft. Campbell, Kentucky or Ft. Bragg, North Carolina. Should be headed out that way before August of '09 if I have anything to say about it so we'll see. I'm gonna continue to pick up as much as I can about the XJ and hopefully see you guys somewhere soon.

Thanks for what you guys are doing here and out on the trails- there's a real solid feeling of camraderie.

That was gonna be my first comment. THANK YOU for what you do for our Country!!!!:patriot:

Second comment...Welcome to the addiction. We like to call it JA--Jeeps Anonymous.:D:D

Hey guys thanks for the support. It definitely has been better than previous conflicts.

Thanks for the welcome as well.

Excited to get back stateside and be able to go Wal-Mart at any hour of the night!!!!!

Excited to get back stateside and be able to go Wal-Mart at any hour of the night!!!!!

See...I knew it was the little things. :laugh:

If you need any info or have any questions just post up. That's what we're here for.

Welcome...

Nice introduction. That was fun to read.

Again, welcome to the SEC. We try to have fun here and help each other. Let us know when you arrive (hopefully Ft. Campbell/Clarksville, TN).

Again guys thanks for the welcome.

PacificEd- you near there?? That is my first choice. I have a real close buddy who is stationed there and one that got out and lives a couple of hours away. Plus it's real close to the wife's family.

Since I've been in the south I kinda think of myself as a transplant. From what I hear the area is really great as well.

Trav- yeah I'm Airborne, but I haven't jumped since 2001. 101st doesn't jump anymore, they just hold the tab over their unit patch for historical reasons. Not sure if my knees could take too much more punishment.

Been in a Stryker unit so I got some funny stories and pics (have to dig 'em up) of trying to push 8x8 through Iraqi mud and getting stuck up to the wheel wells. TALL wheel wells...........

Really trying to catch a trip to Afghanistan since the whole Iraq thing seems to be winding down. Light units like 101st and 82nd are making a big mark on the baddies in the mountains.

I'm an hour southeast of Nashville, TN. Just outside Murfreesboro which is just about in the center of the state.

It's about 2 hours 15 minutes to Clarksville. LBL is really close to you. There are a lot of active guys in the Nashville area and there are several places to ride in Middle TN.

Let us know where you land!

I definitely will do that PacificEd. Sounds like there's a lot of fun to be had in this organization.

I remeber loading 3-4 car loads of buddies to go out in the middle of nowhere for some good ole American "inncocent" fun.

There's only a few of us (that I know of) representing C'ville/FTCKY/Oak Grove/Hopkinsville here at NAXJA. There is a 4x4 shop here (TORS) that's supposed to be the shizzle. I really haven't been there yet, as I don't have the $ to spend anyhow.

Let us know where you end up.

Thank you sir for all you do for us.
:patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot:

Now get here and we can return the favor!
:party:
Welcome to “The Right Place”
NAXJA

Hey guys thanks for the welcome.

I was up till 2am last night digging through the site..........

Looks like it'll be pretty expensive for what I want to do eventually- but I did get clearance from the Household Commander to go pretty big.:firedevil

Just got to research and plan it out.

Welcome to the insanity.

Where in Germany are you? I was just in Stuttgart and Munich a few months ago. I had an awesome time there!

Back