• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newb to engine building, need some help?

Mute9937

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '99 4.0L with high mileage. It runs strong with 'normal' leaks and no smoke. I have been looking into Cleggs engines for a stroker kit when I am able to do so. My head on the other hand has knocking valves and this is where I have questions.
Expect for tearing the top end of the motor off, would there be any other downside to putting a new head on now, being that a stroker is not in the near future?

Also, I like Clegg's Stage 3 Ported head that I wanted to mate with their Stage 2 Cam kit. What will I need to do to get the most out this?
I will also be replacing the exhaust.

The head and cam info are at the bottom of the page:
http://www.cleggengine.com/stroker-kits/jeep-4-0-stroker-kits.html

Nothing wrong with putting the new head on the 4.0L you have now. You will just have to take it off and clean it for the new engine. Oh.. and you can't reuse the head gasket.

To get the most out of any stroker you would want to do all the external things as well. Exhaust, header, throttle body, injectors and a good tune.

Last edited:
Where would I get a gasket for a ported head?
Also, since I need a new exhaust, would it be worth switching to the 2000-01 header design or just staying with the '99 design?

Last edited:
Back