• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New XJ owner

yesterday I was test fitting the jeep in my trailer and while trying to load the jeep i gave it gas and it made a noise. I popped the hood and it seems to make the noise if i rev the engine a little harder than normal driving conditions. Its not a grind but it sounds like something rubs. I drove it to work today and it did it once the jeep downshifted when i was trying to pass someone. I let off of the gas and just accelerated slowly and it didn't do the noise again. It hadn't done it before. It just started yesterday. The only changes that i have done to the jeep would not have affected the motor. I'm thinking bad motor mounts? Since when i revved it from under the hood it seemed to happen when the motor would move.

thats entirely possible, the engines do move around a lot when your motor mounts fail.

I'd highly suggest Brown Dogs as replacement. It does add to the vibrations, but keeps things where they belong.

What's strange is that it just started yesterday. When i test drove it before buying i took it through the gears almost to redline and it didn't do it.

Do you see witness marks of anything rubbing anywhere?

Could it be a bearing going out in the idler pulley or in the AC pump?

No i didn't see any marks. No idea on the bearing. It only happens on stronger acceleration. if I accelerate slowly while driving or just give it gas while parked it doesn't make the noise. Its when i give it a quick rev.

No i didn't see any marks. No idea on the bearing. It only happens on stronger acceleration. if I accelerate slowly while driving or just give it gas while parked it doesn't make the noise. Its when i give it a quick rev.

Welcome.

Looks like you got new meats also.

hmm still kinda sounds like motor mounts. Another way to check is to place the transmission in gear, stand on the brakes hard and rev the motor to see if you get the noise. If the motor mounts are bad, the engine will twist in the loose/bad mounts. Best to do this in an area with nothing in front of you.

I'm hoping that its motor mounts. It sounds like an easy solution and its a perfect excuse to get a set of brown dogs. While on the subj should i go with the ultra flex or classic?

While reving it in neutral i can see the engine move by the motormount. Would it be a good idea to place a rod by the motor mount and ad pressure to it to make sure that it doesn't move, then rev the engine. This way the rod keeps the motor in place and if it doesn't make the noise then its for sure a motor mount issue? Then I'll replace them.

The jeep came with two almost new procomp extreme MT in the rear and the front tires were shot. I bought two new procomps to match the rears.

and its running again! I had the motor swapped about 2 months ago, took it out to Azusa 2 weeks ago. I'm taking it out to Pismo in 2 weeks.

Welcome to the fray.

I suggest buying red NAXJA letters soon so you can apply vendor discounts while you buy new upgrades. You'll benefit from lower prices and get that warm feeling that comes with supporting a good club. BTW the Brown Dog mounts are great and have the best customer service around.

Last edited:
Back