• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to the XJ. Have Noob Q's

DONT GET A STICK...If your new to wheelin go with an auto...I love my auto im my 96. I have a 3.5 lift and 31s for now and I have not been halted in forward progress yet...Works great...Start with some jks quick discnnects if the lift your buying doesnt have em with it. Incredible improvement for wheelin. I love my 96 yes even the interior, who needs fancy dashes and all the bells and whistles. spend your money on performance upgrades rather than a newer XJ. i.e. lift components good tires intake...AND OOOO YES I WANT A TURBO. and if you plan and keeping 31s re gear it. The constant down shifting sux. I learned to love tire noise but gear changes and mtn. passes hear in montana will piss a guy off. Best of luck. Keep at least 2 tires on the ground.

Manual may have shorter first gear, but once the clutch is engaged you must be moving at a certain speed. With auto., you can be more precise . I have both,and I believe an automatic is better for 4-wheeling. You do not have to worry about the clutch slipping, stalling, or rolling backwards. Auto is also reccomended for people who tow.

Get a cheaper cherokee, and make sure you have enough money to do repairs, while still being able to lift it.

I would try to find a '00 or '01 if you really want a 5 speed. These 2 years had the NV3550 instead of the AX-15. Both are excellant 5-speeds (I have both) but the 3550 has a slightly lower 1st gear and is slightly stronger. I was able to stumble upon a 2000 4dr, 4.0L, Power everything, 5-speed for $5000.00. This is rare but it is worth looking for. I also swapped a High Pinion 30 into the front and an 8.8 into the rear both stuffed w/ 4.88's. I am runing 6" of Rusty's and RE lift w/ 33x12.50's I have miled DL vibe but clocking the rear and Rusty's t-case drop crossmember is awesome and gives about 3 degrees. These 2 things took care of most of the vibes, however I would not wheel it until I put on the SYE and CV shaft.

Cyberhog05, youre contradicting your own argument. You say get an auto (which has taller gears, hence less gearing to the wheels) and then you say you want a turbo, which doesnt spool up till about 2000 rpm or more. Usually 2500 to 3000. That is not the RPM youre going to get from an auto tranny until you are way into the throttle. If you want to be able to use the available power from a turbo, you'll want a manual so you can slip the clutch enough to build up to 2500 rpm before you start forward progress, hence the need for the manual tranny to get the turbo spooled and huffing. An auto tranny will effectively overgear the ability to get the turbo to even provide any power. 4wheeling is done at the low, torquey end of the powerband. From idle to about 1800 rpm is where you will spend most of your time while in 4 Lo, and an auto wont allow you to get into the turbo's rpm range without propelling you too fast to remain in precise control of the vehicle. For those worried about rolling backwards, choppy throttle, and whatever other non-issues that they say manuals have... if you cant learn to manipulate correctly, get a hand throttle. Problem solved.

And peeweexj, auto is recommended for those who tow??? No. They are not. Why do you think Semi's and commercial tow rigs are all manuals? Autos are NOT recommended for towing due to their propensity to overheat, and search for gears depending upon throttle input. A manual is most desirable for towing because it allows you the option of holding gears, staying in your powerband, and for engine braking on downward grades.

A problem with the 2000 and 2001's is that most of the 00's and all of the 01's have the low pinion front axle. It is inherently weaker, and accomidates 2-3" less lift than will a hp model, due to increased driveshaft angle.

And get a stick. Autos are for weenies. :D

Last edited:
here is all the major differences in the Cherokee through its production from 1984 till 2001 and most stock aspects like:
tow hooks, skid plates, up-country suspention package, gas tank size, number of slots in the grill and so forth...

this helped me to choose a 1992 over an 87 just out of personal preference.
http://www.opiebennett.com/History.htm

XJ_ranger said:
here is all the major differences in the Cherokee through its production from 1984 till 2001 and most stock aspects like:
tow hooks, skid plates, up-country suspention package, gas tank size, number of slots in the grill and so forth...

this helped me to choose a 1992 over an 87 just out of personal preference.
http://www.opiebennett.com/History.htm
You misspelled suspension.

ArcticXJ said:
A manual is most desirable for towing because it allows you the option of holding gears, staying in your powerband, and for engine braking on downward grades.

actually, this is why I drive stick - even without any towing.

Back