• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to me 1995 XJ, what to do first?

These are some pics of my new XJ, the paint was faded badly and after spending about 4 hours with a buffer and Meguiars Polish it looks really good now. Few other questions, what fluid do I need to use for the transfer case? Differential? What type of grease should go in my grease gun for the zergs on the tie rods etc?

LSD

images.ashx

or

Redline or Royal Purple recommend.

Kind of a noob here, but how do I check that? Also how many bottles of diff fluid does it take? How many bottles of transfer case fluid?

Transfer case uses the same ATF as the AW4 auto transmission. Do not use Dex III junk, GM does not license III anymore so anything that says III is "compatible" to the manufacturers profit point. Dex VI is the licensed formula and is backward compatible. Make sure you can get the top fill plug loose before you open the bottom drain plug. A screw-on nozzle makes it easy.

AW4 has a drain plug makes it super easy. I would not drop the pan unless ugly stuff comes out.

90w gear oil for the diffs (use additive if you have LSD). You need to pop the cover to drain them, then use the screw-on spout to fill through the drain hole. If you don't want to get into all that (and the gaskets and everything) then just pull the fill plug and stick your finger in the hole to see how the fluid looks.

Basic grease for the gun, nothing fancy or weird, you want to lube stuff not pack bearing

If you have a trak-loc, there should be a sticker in the glove box stating that you need to use additive. There should also be a metal tag on one of the differential cover bolts, but I don't remember if the tag is coded or not.

Thanks for all the great advice. I went ahead and bought some shocks as well as my current ones look rough. I am going to hit the upper rear bolts with a torch to heat them up and then spray them with pb to help it soak into the bolt grooves. Once my tax return comes in my 6.5" lift, 33's and sye and Tom woods driveshaft.

So I had a quick question, HF their 90 Amp-AC, 120 Volt, Flux Cored Welder for sale for under a bill, would this work for welding on frame stiffeners? Great price if so. Thanks for the advice yet again

Back