• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to everything!

Greenie Girl

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone - Happy New Year!

I am the proud new owner of a 1985 XJ - matter of fact, I'm new to Jeeps. My fiance bought me this baby this weekend. My Honda Civic Hybrid was rear-ended a few weeks ago and until my insurance company actually does what I pay them to do, I need a way to get to work. I almost didn't see it parked there in the grass! LOL

babychero.jpg

I haven't driven stick (comfortably) in about 7 years and I think the "real" reason my fiance got me a Jeep is because he doesn't trust me driving his truck. :) So I'm still getting used to the clutch but LOVE driving it. So far, the things I've asked about regarding noises and smells, the response has always been, "It's a Jeep thing." For instance, the defroster actually working is not very common.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and find a place where I can ask questions (and I will have LOTS) and learn as much as I can about these beautiful machines that are extremely addicting. So go easy on me - I'm still learning the lingo. I hear you guys like pictures, so here are a couple.

drivingaway.jpg

Take care!

Greenie Girl said:
My fiance thinks it's a 2.5 but it would be great if it wound being 2.8.
Actually no. The 2.8 was a big mistake on the part of jeep. IIRC it was only available 2 years and those engines have been someone problematic (I know: I had an 86 XJ with 2.8 before I knew better).

And I've decided to paint it bubblegum pink. LOL j/k
:eek:

Greenie Girl said:
Thanks, that's good to know. It has over 230K miles on it and it isn't smoking or anything - runs really well. So my guess is that it's the 2.5.

Dig the colour :)

Count the cylinders - the 2.5-litre engines were all 4-bangers; the 2.8-litre units had 6 cylinders. I'm assuming it's a 4WD model? Can't really tell from the photos.

casm said:
Dig the colour :)

Count the cylinders - the 2.5-litre engines were all 4-bangers; the 2.8-litre units had 6 cylinders. I'm assuming it's a 4WD model? Can't really tell from the photos.

Only got 4 cyl so it must be the 2.5. 4WD...is that what the extra shifter is for? :D

Last edited:
Sounds like a winner - since you've got the four cylinder, you've got the AMC 2.46L engine (and at least it's not the GM 2.8 - that was a big mistake. Quite a few people who start with 2.8L V6 engines end up with 2.46L I4 - it's an upward swap.)

I hear you on the XJ being addicting - I've bought two, and my wife's bought two (yes, that's four - two daily drivers, one slated for a "restomod," and Project: REDSHIFT. A "restomod" is a full restoration, with the intention of actually exceeding OEM [OEMR - Original Equipment Manufacturer Replacement - use includes OE, OEM, and OEMR])

Learning our "language" is not difficult - then again, I've been "speaking mechanic" since I was about eight. Still, it's not difficult - when I'm talking cars and problems, I talk to my wife they way we talk here, and she's able to follow me just fine. Also, don't think you can't learn how things work - my wife may not be able to work on much (her primary training is in the Legal and Medical fiels...) but she understands enough that she can save me a LOT of time in troubleshooting and looking - what she tells me is usually enough to narrow it down to one of two or three areas, and usually it's the first one I check.)

Even with the four cylinder engine, I think you'll be happy - happier than you were with the Civic hybrid. You'll have enough power to feel like you're driving a useful truck, you'll feel "protected," and you'll have useful space for hauling things around (why do you think my wife and I drive trucks...)

Even though all of my XJ's have the AMC 4.0 I6 (inline six cylinder engine,) if I had a choice between the GM V6 and AMC I4, I'd take the AMC I4 every time.

We're working on a FAQ section (I'm on the team - I've got a cooling system writeup to do, and I'm thinking of doing a lexicon as well...) and I don't know what the timeline is, but I'm always happy to teach when the opportunity presents itself - so feel free to ask, if anything needs explaining.

Figure on changing your moniker in six months, unless you're going to take "Greenie" from meaning 'greenhorn' to meaning 'green rig.' Given your plans, you might want to pick a new moniker soon, since you won't be green for long...

So, anything I can help with?

5-90

87CherokeeChief said:
I wish i was a cute girl with a jeep. that way at least my questions would get answered in a timely manner :)

welcome to NAXJA

Girl?

Ha! Didn't we have an imposter here a couple of months back - From MA, or VT, or something like that?

Who was that?

LOL - well I would hope that everyone's questions would be answered in a timely manner...but thanks for the compliment. ;)

I took "her" for a spin yesterday (is it PC to call it a "she" or are all XJ's male??), and as I sped up, right around 3rd gear, a loud squeaking noise sounded like it was coming right out of the hood near the windshield. I almost turned around and came home, but as I came to a stop, the noise went away. Then it happened again on this massive hill as I was going down. At the stopsign, the noise went away. I'm thinking I didn't warm it up enough and some belt was going haywire. The clutch was fine and she wasn't straining at all - just some random noise.

I'm going to play around in the interior today. The top fabric is barely held on with thumbtacks so I'm ripping it out. The red interior has also got to go eventually - I look like a friggin' Christmas tree driving through town! :D And no, I was kidding about the pink...she'll stay green for a while. It's really just something to get me through this next month while my fiance's out playing in the ocean and I figure out what happens to the Hybrid. I honestly hope it gets totalled. After I got it home, it wouldn't start at all. Considering I was rear-ended and the battery is in the trunk, I'd say there's quite a bit of damage. Honda won't replace that battery if that's the case. I was told it's the single most expensive piece Honda makes - it'll be cheaper just to total it.

Thanks for explaining some terms, 5-90. Was your wife into Jeeps before she met you or did they kind of grow on her? I don't think Matt's (my fiance) plan was to get me to like Jeeps before I'd marry him - that's just icing on the cake! I do feel safer in it - I know that if I'm ever rear-ended again by an F-150, I won't feel like I swallowed my teeth and get knocked in to the oncoming traffic lane.

HA HA HA HA! :) I'm excited to put my money to good use and really make a vehicle my own. Of course, I'm still paying 330 bucks a month for the Hybrid until it's totalled, so that'll be money back in my pocket soon - only to be sacrificed to the Jeep!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think by greenie, she means environmentally green...seeing as to how the prior vehicle was a hybrid. Congrats on the new XJ, too bad it had to come at the expense of getting rear ended...

The best part about her posting, other than being a new addition to the board, is that she was ABLE to post pics in her VERY FIRST POST!

Welcome to NAXJA Greenie!
Live long and Prosper :wave:

Geepfreak said:
The best part about her posting, other than being a new addition to the board, is that she was ABLE to post pics in her VERY FIRST POST!

Welcome to NAXJA Greenie!
Live long and Prosper :wave:

So are you saying that girls are smarter than guys?

I still think it could be a poser.... :laugh3:
(need more pics...):thumbup:

oh, ps: Geepfreak is a monkey pervert! :twak:
===

RTicUL8 said:
So are you saying that girls are smarter than guys?
Yes! :D

RTicUL8 said:
oh, ps: Geepfreak is a monkey pervert! :twak:
===
345946%3B%3B7%7Ffp337%3Enu%3D3253%3E6%3B8%3E935%3EWSNRCG%3D3233435%3B956%3A6nu0mrj

Discuss..

Back