• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Project

tayman said:
I got the concept now, I forgot you chopped the rear...

The reason blocks are bad is leverage. The blocks add three inches more leverage(?)(I don't know what you would call it) of the torsion on the spring, making the spring twist more as you gas it. the higher you go, the more leverage you have on it. your axle is trying to twist as you accelerate so blocks put more stress on your springs.

I know that was sort of humjumbled together, but I hope you understand what I meant...

humble jumbled but pretty much there.

fullsize dodge and chevy get away with blocks partly because the longer wheelbase means that wheelhop is less likely to break driveshafts(but still possible). and partly because they don't have dana 35's(which can do very exciting things during wheelhop moments).

If you install those blocks/spacers you must also drop the bumpstops by the same amount ( front or rear ). Otherwise you will over compress the spring by the block height and kill them quickly. You should also raise the bottom mount to get your shock travel back again once the bumpstop has dropped by the same amount or you can fit longer shocks.

Sorry, nothing intelligent to contribute. Just want to say "Great work". Love to see somebody putting in the time and effort to make a unique, well-executed rig. Keep us updated!

Gojeep said:
If you install those blocks/spacers you must also drop the bumpstops by the same amount ( front or rear ). Otherwise you will over compress the spring by the block height and kill them quickly. You should also raise the bottom mount to get your shock travel back again once the bumpstop has dropped by the same amount or you can fit longer shocks.

so since I have 5.5" of lift I should add around 5.5" of bs in the rear(front is taken care of)?I still have factory bs in the rear for the time being:doh:

Gojeep said:

Hay mate
I got the bumpstop extensions for the front (the small round spacers in picture) the rears I have to make. I also have the longer shocks to go in as well they are currantly being used in my Comanche. I will be robbing them out when needed.

OK severely pissed off tonight.
Just bought a Gator Guard kit to do the floor and wheel wells. Paid $70.00 for the kit and borrowed a Schlitz gun to spray it, I don't know what happened but It didn't go as far as I planed it to . Did the inside floor and just had enough to spray inside the wheel wells. I think the pressure was too high the gage said 30 lb but it came out in a big hurry. I guess this is where no experience doesn't pay off. Now I got to go and buy another one to finish the outside floor and rock rails. This time I'm rolling it on at least I can control the application. Anyways here are the rotten pictures.
Man I'm not happy.
The Inside floor.

IMG_2277.jpg

Right side wheel well.

IMG_2279.jpg

Left side wheel well.

IMG_2278.jpg

outlander said:
so since I have 5.5" of lift I should add around 5.5" of bs in the rear(front is taken care of)?I still have factory bs in the rear for the time being:doh:

Only if you have blocks and spacers that are 5.5" high! Not talking about spring lift here only the height of any blocks and spacers that you then must drop the bumpstops the same amount.

I towed it home today so I can install interior. It was growing too old at the shop so I brought it home for a while and I can work on it at home here a little more. I'm getting some more liner and rolling it on the underneath and rock rails and up part of the doors.Then its back to the shop to install diffs, lift, brakes and get it running. I haven't started it yet but its suppose to have a skip and running rough bet that is for later.

yeah, you really don't need to worry about Bump Stops with a spring lift unless you are rubbing and want it to stop... what the bumpstops would do for stock springs on blocks is prevent them from being "over-sprung" taking all their spring away quickle, like GoJeep stated before... I'm just speaking (well, typing...) from what makes sense to me, so don't take what I say as "DA TRUTH, PERIOD".

Comanche Devil said:
I towed it home today so I can install interior. It was growing too old at the shop so I brought it home for a while and I can work on it at home here a little more. I'm getting some more liner and rolling it on the underneath and rock rails and up part of the doors.Then its back to the shop to install diffs, lift, brakes and get it running. I haven't started it yet but its suppose to have a skip and running rough bet that is for later.

ooh, sounds like fun... now you get to spend EVERY SECOND of your spare time on it!!!:D:wierd: I mean, if you want... I guess it'll start looking like it can carry people again!:roll:

oh geez! You got your hands full! it WILL be worth it... it'll be good for family time!

right, right... makes sense

Well I did it again. Forgot the stupid camera. I really need to keep it in the truck. I went to my donor XJ to retrieve the interior. So all you have to do is imagine a XJ interior in tact and then imagine it totally bare. From the dash to tailgate. I took it all even the locks, door rubbers, and latches. Now just imagine the back of the Comanche rounded up with all the parts. I even got the antenna. lol
Now the real work begins lol

Hi guys
Sorry no progress on the notchback fo a while.Thaught if I brought it home I would get some more done. Well I was wrong. The wife ended up working a crap-load of hours so no time to work gotta look after the rugrats. So that said its gona be at least 2 weeks of no progress (unless I can drug the kids) lol JUST KIDDING cause the wife is too busy. Any way I will post progress wen I can. Man its killing me to walk by and do nothin on the heep but the end is neer. Oh man are you kidding me the end is far from neer I gotta get this thing done gotta go wheelin in it and get the thing dirty.
Later:
Darren

No really!!! it'll work! haha

Back