• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Member - Some questions regarding new rig

If those measurements were with the springs, I'd suggest you remeasure. Measure from your bumpstops to the bumpstop pad. Then measure current shock length. Subtract the numbers, then subtract another inch or so for bumpstop compression. This will give you your compressed height of the shock.

All that can be done at static ride height.

Looks like it's coming along....but still see if you can get your rear axle to flex a little more. If you can get your rear tires stuffed up in the wheel well another 3 or 4 inches (from the looks of that forklift photo) that will help your front springs stay connected with your ACOS better. Right now, looks like you'll get some loud popping noises when you flex back down and the top part of your front springs hang up on the ACOS lock nut, etc. Your brake line looks stretched to the limit too so consider bending the hard line straight and reconnecting it. Just another $.02 though...

If those measurements were with the springs, I'd suggest you remeasure. Measure from your bumpstops to the bumpstop pad. Then measure current shock length. Subtract the numbers, then subtract another inch or so for bumpstop compression. This will give you your compressed height of the shock.

All that can be done at static ride height.
Which measurement is it that looks off? I measured from the mounting points of the shock top and bottom. I'll go out and take that static measurement in a bit. Although when I measured on the forklift, I needed to add about 4 more inches of bump stop from what it currently has front and rear.

Looks like it's coming along....but still see if you can get your rear axle to flex a little more. If you can get your rear tires stuffed up in the wheel well another 3 or 4 inches (from the looks of that forklift photo) that will help your front springs stay connected with your ACOS better. Right now, looks like you'll get some loud popping noises when you flex back down and the top part of your front springs hang up on the ACOS lock nut, etc. Your brake line looks stretched to the limit too so consider bending the hard line straight and reconnecting it. Just another $.02 though...
I also thought that the rear could have flexed a bit more. What can I do to allow it to flex more? I have both sway bars removed.

Just went out and took some static measurements:

Front
Bumpstop to bumpstop pad: 7.25”
Shock: 25.25”

Rear
Bumpstop to bumpstop pad: 9.75”
Shock: 24.00”

This does not take bumpstop compression into account, or the few inches of bumpstop that need to be added to keep the tire away from the fender.

Hoping to figure this all out and get these shocks ordered today for a trip later this week!

So with those numbers you need an 18" compressed shock in the front, all depends on how much bumpstop you add of course...and how rigid those stops are. But if you add a couple inch longer bumps in the front I think 18 will be close. I circled one that would work nice for the front, I had 255/70 valving in the front of my xj and it was great. Rear will probably be a bit softer. This chart is from bilsteins online pdf catalog.

xlcgw8.png

So with those numbers you need an 18" compressed shock in the front, all depends on how much bumpstop you add of course...and how rigid those stops are. But if you add a couple inch longer bumps in the front I think 18 will be close. I circled one that would work nice for the front, I had 255/70 valving in the front of my xj and it was great. Rear will probably be a bit softer. This chart is from bilsteins online pdf catalog.

xlcgw8.png

Thanks for the input! I'll go ahead and get those ordered. I'll need an adapter for the top of those, correct? I recall reading that the 7100s have eye mounts on both ends, but I could be wrong.

Also, with a compressed measurement of 19" in the rear, will an 18" shock work for the rear as well? I know I'll need to extend my bumpstops.

Here's a picture of what the rear looked like during the measurement if that helps at all. Looks like it still could have traveled further into the wheel well, but my front spring was already on the verge of falling out so I stopped the forklift there.

be3eef367b801b88bc3c4c6101995098.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24-9.75=14.25.

I'd run a 14 inch compressed length shock in the rear. So you're probably looking at the last one listed above under the 10" travel shocks. Valving will be around 180/75 for the rear

Notice the front I recommended was only 16" compressed....this will leave room for the stem top adapter.

Well, guys. After putting all this time, money and effort into the XJ and being so excited to get it out on the trails, it was stolen from my house last night.

License plate #: 3RRL442

If you guys have any info or see any of its parts for sale, please call Riverside Police Department.

Case #: P16238873

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that. That sucks!

Damn dude, sucks. Someone smashed a window in her xj to steal my gf phone last week...not even in the same ballpark, but I feel your pain

Back