• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New member, Select-trac question

bjoehandley said:
It's not easy, but I've managed to do break one or two loose on a few occasions and I'd love to try and autocross one just for laughs!

the few times i've tried to "rip" it around corners...the rear body roll is just too much..so im sure stiffer sway bars at stock height and it wont be bad...if only i could find a 242 with a manual tranny...haha...or put that manu-matic push button shifter in...*grins*

my '90 2wd on a 4.5" lift handeled better...haha. but i have that stiff-ass Rough Country lift.....i picked it for the stiffness, however =P

OKAY...back on topic....

nice find on that Sport! but given it has no other options...someone must have been under a few of the right desks at the dealership...or they did a swap afterwards...hahahaha.
then again.....you might have been able to pick that option with any trim line when ordering yours from the stealership...*shrugs*

i got my '99 with 84k miles for $7k....super clean...no leaks anywhere...interior had typical wear (drivers floor mat and backseat had a baby car seat in it for a good while) and obviously owned by "mom"
....which probably means that all 84k is city miles, haha. but it drives beautifully...and everything works....excpet the drivers front and back motor doesn't work.
so the prices you mentioned don't seem bad.

and my t-case does the same as the white one you test drove, when i go from 2wd to full-time the front end binds for a little bit when near locked turning, but it works out after a little bit. don't know if that usual or not, tho, lol.

Ken M---> i THOUGHT the only difference was the t-case, so you could just swap them out.....but now you mention it...im curious to know if the front axel is any different...i know the housing is the same....but as far the insides...?

Special ordered my 98 XJ Sport with 242 over 10 years ago. Can't say I have regretted the decision at all over the years. I have family members that will take my Jeep during inclement weather and its nice to have them not be concerned what mode the t-case should be in. Its in FT, just drive and don't become over confident with the extra traction.

I had a buddy selling his 2001 XJ in Chicago as well, the only thing that stopped me from buying it was it didn't have the 242. I remember chasing around to dealers with them in '02 telling them to spend the few extra dollars on one with the 242.

But somehow had her self convinced that the 242 would make their Jeep turn into a lifted and occasionally off-roaded Jeep like mine. For the life of me I couldn't get her to understand that it was to assure their safety on-road.

Several years later they finally understood what it does and relented screwing up the purchase. Oh well.

All of the Cherokee's and the one GC we've owned have all been selec-tracs, for this very reason. If you aren't wheeling it would there even be a point to owning a part time 4wd rig vs one that's full time or 2wd with a limited slip other than a waste of gas?

Drums - thanks, the only thing that is are making really me hesitate on the white '98 is the all-white color scheme (seems kinda Miami-Vice-ish) and all dark grey int doesn't suit me as well as black over tan int, the (maybe unfounded) desire to have a newer one with the distributorless ignition, and the thought that a 10 year old XJ with 100k miles isn't a $7000 automobile... but it is very nicely set up and seems well cared for so will call him today and ask what his 'best and final' price is.

handley - that's what this guy argues also (although he doesn't seem to know that you can get a non-grand Cherokee with FR:
http://www.allpar.com/eek/k/SUVs.html

cheers
Kurt

Having the 231 is no big deal, even on patchy roads it's OK to not shift it in and out all the time, I have a mental distance of about a 1/2mile of dry road and out it comes.
The ZJ we just picked up has a 242J and that will work well for my wife, she still does not really understand the 2wd vs 4wd thing in either our TJ's or my XJ but she has learned to live with the 231 over the years.
One thing you might want to do is change the transfer case fluid to Mobil-1 ATF, it will shift in and out of 4wd much more smoothly.
As far as that XJ up in NJ that you were talking about, by the parkway/turnpike, he seems to have a bunch of them for sale, the white one, a green one and a silver one from when I was looking a couple of weeks ago. I don't know where he gets them from but I would be a bit leery, they might be flood cars, the bodies and paint look too clean.
Even our ZJ looked too clean but the owner said it was getting dull so he had a relative with a body shop repaint it 2 or 3 years ago.
I also came across a nice 97ZJ, Lardeo, fire engine red, gray interior, down in philly on craigs list, the pics all looked good, and at a good price too, 4.0L 242J tc. I think he said it was near the airport.

RichP said:
As far as that XJ up in NJ that you were talking about, by the parkway/turnpike, he seems to have a bunch of them for sale, the white one, a green one and a silver one from when I was looking a couple of weeks ago. I don't know where he gets them from but I would be a bit leery, they might be flood cars, the bodies and paint look too clean.
Even our ZJ looked too clean but the owner said it was getting dull so he had a relative with a body shop repaint it 2 or 3 years ago.

Thanks for the TX case fluid tips and your thoughts.
That guy in NJ really put me off when I called, wouldn't give out mileages or VIN #s over the phone is flat out shady. Since he posts the same Jeeps every other day I've sent CL a few "Spam/Overpost" clicks, and it seems lately his ads haven't been flooding the list so much.

The missus drove the white '98 yesterday and gave it her seal of approval, but the passender front window wouldn't go up when I ran it all the way down. Had to pull it up, then when it got half way it shot up normally. Seller says a regulator and install is about $200, so he'd sell it as is for $5700, or fix it for the listed price of 6k.
Since it may take weeks (months?) and lots of time/driving to find another nice one with the 242 I'll probably offer him $6 all in (6% tax, paperwork, title so around $5600 for the car).
cheers
Kurt

I swapped a 242 into my XJ and it is by far my favorite of all the mods I've made. The FT is great on snowy and rainy roads (like the slush this morning). For a daily driver (and part time trail rig in my case) I would definitely have a 242. That being said, I wouldn't turn down a nice XJ (or MJ) just because of the t-case. It's a simple swap.

Since you're in Philly, with the great job they do around here clearing the roads when it snows, you'll really appriciate the 242.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/car/472258861.html
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/car/479612980.html
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/car/480120122.html
An XJ
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/car/480823611.html

What can I say, I got this red thing going on since we got ours..
Here's a nice looking one in NJ
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/car/481312330.html

I like this one strictly for the 5.9V8, I've ridden a couple and they are a flat out rocket, one guy I used to commute with had his 5.9 built for a supercharger, over 450hp, mother that thing was FAST and had no problem smoking all four tires. I think he ended up having a B&M tranny built for it though after he toasted the chrysler one.
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/car/477152306.html

BTW, I'm finding out that the 4.0 and V8 GC's milage is not much different until you start putting you foot into it....
However to note one thing, even the 4.0 is crammed in that engine bay, at least in the front, more prep work needs to be done on it than the XJ for front engine service, sides a bit more cramped too, no idea what the V8 is like

Last edited:
Does anyone know production numbers on 242 equipped vehicles? I mean it seems rare, I have a '97 Sport 2-door with the 242. I had to have the patience to find mine, you'll find somthing

Stoneattic,

My '93 Cherokee was getting a little tired. I bought a Subaru last year to get AWD; hated it, sold it, bought a 2000 Cherokee.

So all that has to be swapped is the transfer case itself? Not the front driveshaft or axle? I guess the next question is where you find the 242 tc....

Thanks.

Ken

Ken M said:
Stoneattic,

My '93 Cherokee was getting a little tired. I bought a Subaru last year to get AWD; hated it, sold it, bought a 2000 Cherokee.

So all that has to be swapped is the transfer case itself? Not the front driveshaft or axle? I guess the next question is where you find the 242 tc....

Thanks.

Ken
There's no difference in front output yoke or t-case length so the front shaft is good to go.

If you get a 242 from 96+ it should have the same output shaft arrangement as yours (check before you buy it) so there the drive shaft is fine. I don't know if the drive shaft will work with the older style t-case.

Be aware that the older cases have a different input spline count (21 older vs 23 newer), so find a later one. The 21 seems to have disappeared in the very early 90s.

If you have a disco front axle you'll need to lock it out or swap to a non-disco. By 2000 the disco front axles were long gone so no worries for you there. I just mentioned it for other folks with older XJs reading this.

The only other things you'll want to swap are the indicator on the t-case shifter and the shifter gate (not the shifter itself). Mine is a 95 and I know the consoles are different in later (97+) so I don't know if it's just a couple of screws for the gate and snap in and out for the indicator like mine, but I would guess it's similar. You can get away with out doing the indicator and gate swap but it makes shifting the t-case more positive.

I don't know the 97+ interiors, but if you have a light on your dash indicating Part 4WD, etc, it may not work. I needed to add a wire (and a bulb, but the socket was there) to get the Full Time light to work.

If you get a 242 from a year close to yours you'll have no problems.

97XJ2 said:
Does anyone know production numbers on 242 equipped vehicles? I mean it seems rare, I have a '97 Sport 2-door with the 242. I had to have the patience to find mine, you'll find somthing

You won't find one with a 5 speed unless the owner changed it out from a 231 or mine in another 4 moths when I put a 242 in it.

Nurburgringer said:
thanks Woody

Just curious - what is his reasoning behind wanting the Selec trac? Those of you with Command-trac, do you find yourself frequently having to change from 4 to 2 WD on the road? Since driving in 4 with the CT on dry roads can damage the drvietrain, I imagine that to be safe you'd only engage 4WD on the road if it's completely iced over (in which case nothing short of a tank is going to be much use), deep snow, or you're stuck in 2WD and have to power out (in a straight line). Sound about right? If so, I can really see why the 'FT' 4WD of the ST is a big deal - set it and forget it.

Kurt
The 242 TC allows you the option of using fulltime 4WD yearround if you choose. You can put it in 4WD and forget it as long as you can stand the decrease in fuel mileage you never have to shift into 2WD again. Got it Kurt?

mikeforte said:
The 242 TC allows you the option of using fulltime 4WD yearround if you choose. You can put it in 4WD and forget it as long as you can stand the decrease in fuel mileage you never have to shift into 2WD again. Got it Kurt?

Got it, thanks!
I'm up in Milwaukee right now - it's warmer here than Philly right now by about 10 degrees! Won't last though...

Kurt

Thanks for all the info. The t-case swap might have to wait until I finish the garage, but it doesn't sound like an impossible project.

Ken

Thanks much everybody for the input and advice, but sorry to say I've gone and bought a ZJ:

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x155/kedelbach/Cherokee/

It's really Rich Pierson's fault. He posted some links to 5.9L GCs, and after some research I decided to try to find a good one as the downsides (mpg, price) weren't that great compared to the XJs I've seen.
Found the one in the pics locally, has 142,000 but fastidiously maintained it's whole life. K&N filter, flowmaster with dual tips, new Kuhmo tires a bit bigger than stock, Sirius Sattelite radio, case of castrol synthetic oil... Not a spot of rust topside or bottomside, super clean interior with all gadgets working.
I've already ordered a reinforced intake plenum kit (the one thing all these magnum V8s have), and on thursday a local shop will put in new steering ball joints/pitman arm/alignment for $200 which should tighten up the (original) steering considerably.
Paid $4250, so even after buying a rebuilt 242 TX case (the "Quadratech" viscous coupling TX in the 5.9s is pretty lame) I'll have just a bit more than $5500 in it, which around here will barely get me into a decent late model XJ.

So anyway, thanks again and good luck with your XJs - they're very hardcore and tempting, I just couldn't turn down this GC...
cheers
Kurt

Nice looking ZJ, I looked at a couple of V8's and then asked myself, self 'would I want to work on that', answer was NO. That V8 is a really tight fit. I'm also not big on leather interiors as nice as they look, too hot in the summer and cold in the winter for my butt.
The 4.0L, 242 was a nice trade off and has good power, still have to do the O2 sensor, seems it's a bit lazy so the mileage while much improved once I got a good tstat in is still kind of low around town, 24 on the computer on hiway but local I can almost see the response time of the sensor after looking at with a modis scanner thru a 21" LCD at my buddys shop. The O2 works but it's really slow with about a 3-5 second response time before it adjusts the fuel flow. Now I think I actually understand how it really works.
The other thing I liked about ours is that BRIGHT ASSED RED talk about easy to spot in a parking lot :D :D :D Though MY favorite color jeep is teal or as close as this color choice allows...

Sweet ZJ! Always have like the looks of the 5.9 limited's. They look really sharp and haul some serious butt from what I hear (have yet to drive one).

Getting back on your orig. topic incase somebody finds this in a search....I guess I got lucky with my XJ. It was the first one I really seriously looked at in person....didn't know much about the XJ's other than a few basics. I knew the difference b/w the two transfer cases, but didn't really (at the time) have a preference as which I wanted. Saw this XJ and despite paying too much, couldn't turn it down. It will be 3 years the beginning of this Jan. since I bought it and it's been damn near trouble free in that amount of time, with the roughly 45K i've put on it. Afterr 3 years with the 242, I won't own another Jeep with out it. We've got the 231 in the KJ and both have been outstanding, but like others have mentioned, the ability to have 4wd with out massive binding and destruction of the drivetrain is very nice. Makes driving in heavy rains that much easier.

Back