• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Jeep Commander

XJFREK

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, what does this remind you of?
comm_front.jpg

Unveiled today at the NY auto show. Kinda makes me wonder why the Liberty is the way it is if this is the new direction Jeep is going with styling.

Looks like a bigger rehash of the late model Cherokee Classics..

I vote....... meh.

I'm Definately glad they're keeping some of them boxy....

I wish they would have followed this formula on a smaller scale with the Lib...

Citat3962 said:
I vote....... meh.

Agreed.

On a semi-related note, I see they also unveiled the "all-new, race-inspired" WK SRT-8.

OK, so we've now got a Grand Cherokee that can hit 60 in 5 seconds. Whoop-de-effing-doo. If I wanted something fast, I'd buy a Corvette, Maserati, or similar.

Seriously, I wish Jeep would go back to building off-road vehicles. For God's sake, they actually *lowered* the suspension on this thing.

I read somewhere that Jeep has two trains of thought for design right now.
1) Utility= boxy, straight up flatter windsheild; sharper lines (Wrangler, Rescue, Commander)

2) Sporty= rounder, sloped back windsheild, softer lines (Liberty, Grand, Compass)

This is all to better appeal to different customer bases.
With Ford and Chevy and all the other auto mfgs coming out with so many new models, Jeep and DCX are going into the same mode. Jeff Bell was quoted as saying that Jeep will be introducing several new models in the last half of the decade.

I like the options they are coming out with, but wish Jeep would stick with more hard part options (Rubicon) rather than different trim levels (Rocky Mt. edition, Freedom edition, etc.) Also, it looks like as with the other companies DCX is dumbing down the driving experience. All you have to do is steer, (I typed steer and thought of a bull calf with his nuts cut off, that's pretty close to what it seems that new Jeeps are becoming.)

All in all, I'm sure I won't be putting a Commander in my stable. (too much $$$)

Keith

I have been waiting so long for three rows of seating in a Jeep. My wife wants to buy Durnago sooo bad. I have been holding her off. Glad I did now.

I assume it will have enough tow compacity to pull my XJ on a flatbed, the Durango does...withthe Hemi anyway.

I also dig the high back second row seating.

The RockCrawler artcile talks about the XJ being used to inspire this unit. That alone make we want one.

Since the article does talk about a t-case I ASSuME that the rear axle is solid. The front IFS is not a big deal to me on this unit. I wouldn't wheel a $50k Jeep anyway. $50K, I am guessing. If so I'll take a stripped unit with a Hemi.

At least WE know what a stretched 2006 XJ might have looked like

THIS WILL BE my next JEEP!

Lawn Cher' said:
I'm thinking of something brown...

Does it sound like a bell?

looks like a cherokee from the front door-forward....the rest is just an overgrown stretched cherokee....

i bet it would be a real dog with that 3.7 v6.......

you'd HAVE to get the hemi.....

id have to see what it looked like with a small lift and 33's

right now it looks like an Armada/QX55(or whatever it is) with the big hulking body and small tires

the interior is very Nissan Armada....big

CaptTrev said:
looks like a cherokee from the front door-forward....the rest is just an overgrown stretched cherokee....

i bet it would be a real dog with that 3.7 v6.......

you'd HAVE to get the hemi.....

id have to see what it looked like with a small lift and 33's

right now it looks like an Armada/QX55(or whatever it is) with the big hulking body and small tires

the interior is very Nissan Armada....big
Looks like a reworked LandRover to me. Speaking of what it would look like with a small lift. Saw an 05 Grand in Moab last week with a lift and 33s. Looked good actually

bjoehandley said:
If you want 3 row seating and good towing, why not get a full size van? You'd even have room for cargo behind the third row, and they look better!

Iv'e thought about that but I want the 4wheel drive for the snow here in Colorado, rear wheel is no fun. Anyone still make a 4x4 van that will tow 5000lbs+? Chevy Astro?

I think the Chevy Express has both options, John John. It seams mighty comfy behind the wheel too, even on a work van with a cage between the passenger seat area and cargo area! I think the base Express is about $23k, maybe a 5.3l or 6.0l 2500 w/awd and Class III would be kinda nice.

bjoehandley said:
I think the Chevy Express has both options, John John. It seams mighty comfy behind the wheel too, even on a work van with a cage between the passenger seat area and cargo area! I think the base Express is about $23k, maybe a 5.3l or 6.0l 2500 w/awd and Class III would be kinda nice.

hmmm...couple of bean bags and some dutch tape and I have a conversion van. Still won't say Jeep on it. :D

JohnJohn said:
hmmm...couple of bean bags and some dutch tape and I have a conversion van. Still won't say Jeep on it. :D

Perhaps we should be petitioning DCX for a 4WD Dodge Sprinter in that case... God knows UPS seems to be in love with them around here :D

Back