• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New issue, low to no oil pressure!

I hope that is it.

Overheating problems are the worst. Trying to troubleshoot them can lead to a lot of work and parts that don't fix it.
I hope this fixes you problem although the oil pressure may still be indicating another problem.

BTW Damn nice radiator!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't had enough time to see if I'm still losing fluid, we'll see! Still need to scope the cylinders and I think having the oil tested would be of benefit too, just because I can't see anything doesn't mean it's not there!!

Update!!

Well there is water in the oil so I will pull the head and replace it!

Just for future reference, who did you use for the oil testing, how much was it, and how long did it take them?

I didn't test the oil, but after all the other work and 5 oil changes this month, I have been monitoring all the losses/gains. Whatever the issue, it has gotten worse with the reservoir bottle going down, and the oil level going up.

The reservoir going down can be caused by an old (greater than 2 yrs) radiator cap. The oil going up can be caused by a leaking injector. If the oil isn't milky and you see the level go up, it isn't water/coolant. Smell the dip stick and see if you smell a gas smell?

No, my oil sample sits in front of me, 1/2 oil and 1/2 coolant! My new head is due in tues w/ the work scheduled starting Friday morn!

This is why the only reason I'll buy an '00 or '01 at a huge discount is if they have the cracked head and I'll swap in an engine or head if recently cracked. Non-tupy 0331s are crap. You see people selling 00s and 01s on Craigslist with recent full cooling system replacements and still have the same cracked 0331s, so beware, cause it's a major flaw.

If there was that much coolant in the oil, I would be afraid of the bearings being shot. I would drop the pan and at least pull some bearing caps to see.

The bearings are shot, thus the low oil pressure.

I had a 99 Chevy Malibu with the 3.1v6, one day I was heading somewhere about 10 miles away. Got about 5 miles and suddenly the motor lost power and was making a terrible noise. Pulled over immediately and had it trailered home. Oil pressure sender had spewed all but a half quart of the oil out. Used a cleaner that contained kerosene in the oil. Then changed oil and filter and sending unit. Engine was fine only valve train chatter when cold.
A couple years later was heading home from a out 50 miles away, got about 10 miles from home and lost heat then temp climbed. Stopped and filled it with water and carried on. About 2 more miles and no heat again. Got it home carefully without overheating it. Made appointment the next day for a head gasket. Shop said they won't do it because bearings are shot. Couldn't get any local shop to do the head gasket because "bearings are shot". Literally I drained 4 gallons of light brown pudding from the motor. Sprayed out under valve cover through the filler hole with carb cleaner the best I could and changed the oil and filter twice.
Gave the car to my dad last year and he is now about to get the head gasket changed by a co worker. The car hasn't been driven far but is started regularly and shut back down before it gets hot. Still just the valve train chatter when cold. Other than that it runs great and has great power. Sorry for the long post but I wouldn't be so quick to say the bearings are shot. Although I haven't had that same experience with a 4.0 but I'm betting they're tougher than that 3.1.

I had a 99 Chevy Malibu with the 3.1v6, one day I was heading somewhere about 10 miles away. Got about 5 miles and suddenly the motor lost power and was making a terrible noise. Pulled over immediately and had it trailered home. Oil pressure sender had spewed all but a half quart of the oil out. Used a cleaner that contained kerosene in the oil. Then changed oil and filter and sending unit. Engine was fine only valve train chatter when cold.
A couple years later was heading home from a out 50 miles away, got about 10 miles from home and lost heat then temp climbed. Stopped and filled it with water and carried on. About 2 more miles and no heat again. Got it home carefully without overheating it. Made appointment the next day for a head gasket. Shop said they won't do it because bearings are shot. Couldn't get any local shop to do the head gasket because "bearings are shot". Literally I drained 4 gallons of light brown pudding from the motor. Sprayed out under valve cover through the filler hole with carb cleaner the best I could and changed the oil and filter twice.
Gave the car to my dad last year and he is now about to get the head gasket changed by a co worker. The car hasn't been driven far but is started regularly and shut back down before it gets hot. Still just the valve train chatter when cold. Other than that it runs great and has great power. Sorry for the long post but I wouldn't be so quick to say the bearings are shot. Although I haven't had that same experience with a 4.0 but I'm betting they're tougher than that 3.1.

Weirdly enough that 3.1 fwd is related to the 2.8 (3.4 upgrade) lump the 84-86 XJ came with. Underpowered but hard to kill.

Looking up the 3.1 fwd there was a class action because of the intake gasket leaking coolant.

Re: this 4.0 Coolant can eventually kill bearings depending on a lot of variables, some get 20k or more. I'd be concerned with the already low pressure the bearings are shot. But then again there's not much to lose, if it's the cam bearings it's SOL and a engine pull.

The doctor said "until the hemorrhaging is stopped, no further operations" !!

Well I received my ARP head bolts and my CCH head yesterday so the game is on for this weekend!

I have a few things to complete today, but I got the head on yesterday. To my surprise I couldn't find a crack/warp in my old one! Not even the gasket showed any obvious signs of failure. Hopefully the outcome is good!

Trying to decide if we should drop the gas tank on the white 87, 4x4 and try to clean it?

Back