• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New GMB water pump going bad after 2 months

So the belt being off center on the water pump's pulley can make it squeel? My belt is not completely on center. The new pump is crappy. The belt hangs off the pulley about 1mm towards the engine. So adding a spacer between the pulley and the pump would the problem worse. I'd have to press the mounting plate on further or something. I'm about to go pick up my new Mopar pump from the dealer and hopefully solve this once and for all.

If you belt is running on the inside of the pulley, I would look to make sure the power steering pulley is in line and not cocked due to a loose or bent bracket.

I think my power steering setup is probably fine but that is a good point and certainly worth checking. I'll take a look at lunch and make sure nothing is bent and all the bolts are tight etc.

So the belt being off center on the water pump's pulley can make it squeel? My belt is not completely on center. The new pump is crappy. The belt hangs off the pulley about 1mm towards the engine. So adding a spacer between the pulley and the pump would the problem worse. I'd have to press the mounting plate on further or something. I'm about to go pick up my new Mopar pump from the dealer and hopefully solve this once and for all.

failing harmonic balancer tends to move the outter ring and belt toward the engine-- make sure it's not coming apart on ya!

failing harmonic balancer tends to move the outter ring and belt toward the engine-- make sure it's not coming apart on ya!

Will add to the list. Christmas has slowed progress to a standstill.

I though I would update this to keep things complete. I Installed my new Mopar water pump. It eliminated the squeeling... at first. I noticed a few intermittent short squeaks and thought NO WAY! During the install I did notice that one of the gussets on my power steering bracket had cracked! There weren't any other noticeable signs of bending or damage though so that is sort a mystery. Anyway, I rented/bought (haven't made my mind up yet) a power steering pulley installer/puller last night and moved my power steering pulley out about 1/8". The belt is completely on the water pump pulley now and it didn't squeal on the way to work today so hopefully I'm good. I'm going to send this thing to the junkyard if I have to put a new pump in it before a year is up though. Also, I stripped out the top bolt on the aluminum power steering bracket that the pump pivots on so if anyone knows what years are compatible with my '91 I'd appreciate the input. Thanks for all the help.

My 1997 is doing the same thing. I have changed the Harmonic Balancer and the belt tensioner. Still constant squeeling no matter if i drive it for a an hour or just start it up to move it around the yard. It sounds to me like it's coming from the water pump but it's only a couple years old. Any way to know for sure if it's the pump?

I am reviving some water pump threads. I just noticed my 2 year old AZ water pump on my 87 has about 1/32" of thrust play now in the shaft, and the pully wobbles a little when the engine is running. I am wondering if the pully might be out of round, and where I might get a good one. Also wondering if a 1/32" of thrust play in the shaft bearing-seal is a problem or not. Will be looking at other pump sources as well this week.

So topic is still where to get a good quality pump standard duty.

How much shaft play, if any, is OK.

Has anyone had pulley problems on the WP pulleys, out of round, not flat, found a good source for a new one, or have a way to fix them...???

This is on my 87, the first pump I ever installed on it since buying it around 2006.

My 89 is on its second AZ water pump, developed too much shaft thrust play after 2-3 years or so.... and was replaced in Jan, 2012, but has been parked since its last fender bender :(

They were all new pumps.

Back