• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEW FUEL PUMP,GAS GAUGE NOT READING ACURATLY!?

Hello all, I have a 1990 Cherokee Pioneer. I just had a total of 3 New fuel pumps installed consecutively. When I brought the Jeep to the shop my gas gauge worked fine as it always has. After the first fuel pump was installed I noticed immediately that the gas gauge was all over the place, not accurate, moving while I was at a stop etc..I topped off the tank on the way home and it didn't even read full, it would go to 3/4 then 1/2 then up and down a little when stopped etc...long story short...the mechanic installed another pump to get the gauge to work properly saying that they are made cheaply. That one didn't help the problem, he ordered another one (#3) from a different manufacturer , installed it and guess what?! SAME PROBLEM. He told me the only way I could be fixed is by installing an OEM fuel pump. Obviously at this point Im having a hard time believing that 1 out of three fuel pumps wouldn't fix this issue. The old fuel pump was original and needed to be replaced because it was defective and the Jeep was running like cr$p. The gas gauge hasn't worked properly since it was replaced.. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. Thankks again.

Since the fuel gauge was replaced, or the fuel pump was replaced?

How many gallons does your fuel tank hold?

It would be strange indeed if three fuel quantity sending units from different vendors were all 13.5 gal. sending units. However, 13.5 gal. sending units would be 'full' at your 20 gal. tank 3/4 mark.

On the other hand...if you indeed have a 13.5 gal. fuel tank instead of a 20 gal. tank and 20 gal. sending units were installed (20 gal. sending units most common) they would only read 3/4 tank when 13.5 gallons were in your tank. Is it possible somewhere in the life of your truck a 13.5 gal. tank was installed?

Is my logic (or not) correct on this?

Back