• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEW FLEXPLATE JEEP DOESNT RUN!

1slowxj

NAXJA Forum User
so my 88 xj developed what sounds like a rod knock diagnosed it to a broken flexplate didnt realize how right i was was cracked to whole way around was about ready to implode so ordered new flexplate atp part #z205 installed it everything went smooth go to start it and wouldn't start checked crank sensor and it was broken off which i figured was from re installing trans never took sensor off installed new sensor and it started but runs like timing is terribly far off engine wont rev just backfires and dies checked resistance on cps checked out at 265 ohms factory sevice manual says 200 +/- 75 checked distributor which was untouched and timing was dead nuts so now im freaking baffled and i really dont want to uninstall damm thing.... read something about 2 different flexplate but that seemed to be 90+issue.. any clues guys???

the 33002675 crosses back to z205 but obliviously something isnt right wonder if i should order that part # through crown automotive and see just dont wanna have another flexplate laying around i cant use if its wrong

the 33002675 crosses back to z205 but obliviously something isnt right wonder if i should order that part # through crown automotive and see just dont wanna have another flexplate laying around i cant use if its wrong

Google the OEM part number and see what hits you get.

I don't trust Crown communist Chinese parts.

would it be possible for me to adjust timing to correct this issue?

no.
it's completely computer controlled.
The ECU uses the cam and crank sensor to tell the ICM when to fire the coil.

I would strongly suspect your new CPS sucks if you're absolutely positive that the flexplate is correct.

That or a connection/ground was disturbed when you pulled it and it went un noticed. Double check all of that.

DSC_0390.jpg.html
im afraid this is the same problem i grabbed another cps and installed still having same issue i will double check grounds now

I've never tried this, but looking in the book you should be able to set the motor up to TDC 1, timing mark at zero and then back the motor (counter clockwise from the front) counting the number of tines that pass by the middle of the CPS opening. Twelve tines and you should end up on a long notch.

I'm wondering if you missed the locating dowel on the engine. This would cause misalignment and a gap. I'd expected the starter to complain but stranger things have happened.

Visual symptoms would be all bolts tight but a gap between the engine and transmission. That gap may be hiding behind a flopping around adapter plate.

plate will only go on crank one way so im not sure how teeth would be off unless its the wrong plate right?trans sits tight to motor no grinding or other terrible noises watching while cranking through inspection cover doesn't seem like its out of round thinking its gotta be the ring for cps unfortunately this means i guess i gotta pull back apart..

plate will only go on crank one way so im not sure how teeth would be off unless its the wrong plate right?trans sits tight to motor no grinding or other terrible noises watching while cranking through inspection cover doesn't seem like its out of round thinking its gotta be the ring for cps unfortunately this means i guess i gotta pull back apart..

What method did you use to hold the flexplate when you torqued the flexplate-to-crankshaft bolts?

the air gap is critical to CPS output .. too far away and the signal is weak... somewhere on NAXJA there is a thread about it. Might be the tone ring on the aftermarket flexplate is a little too small diameter. slotting the mounting holes in the CPS slightly may help.

I've always found a 10" crescent wrench's jaws can be put into the spokes of the harmonic balancer with the handle tang held against the bottom side of the radiator support.

Back