• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New cooling system overheating on the highway

No stop leak added, ever. The rad is new. It was installed in March.

Simply installing this filter isn't really doing the trick. Even with review the engine. It's really got to be review and bouncing around to get this stuff churning up off the bottom of where ever it's stuck to. It really reminds me of a clay paste, it's so thick and dense

Have you tried a coolant restrictor? It is possible to force coolant thru the radiator to fast keeping it from cooling off enough. I remember a write up a long time ago about these but dont know where. You could make one for cheap and easy to install, as they just fit in the upper rad hose. I know theyre popular with circle track guys who don't run thermostats so there is good info out there on them

I ran water through the heater hoses and got about a 1/4 cup of this black muddy crud out. I took all the hoses off, and the t-stat cover and ran water through the head and out the water pump pushing a .25" hose with a bit of water pressure as deep into the head as I safely could. I did the same thing with the radiator. I captured most all the water and ended up with a total of about a half cup of this black magnetic stuff.

It was he y enough that the water at the top of the rad has always looked clear green. I guess this was heavy enough to stay out of sight.

I'm not sure what all this is. When it dries out its still black so I'm not sure that it's actually rust from the core or what.

I'll reassemble tomorrow and see if it runs cooler.

Worth repeating for every owner of a vehicle that has those shitty mechanical fans. Like all 150 million of us.

I never said that mechanical fans are "shitty". Just that e-fans are not.
mechanical fans are a proven technology that works. But they just aren't feasible in all applications (like mine). e-fans got a bad rap when they were first introduced two generations ago because, well, they deserved it. But they are an evolved technology, and they work fine. Don't twist what I said into a criticism of mechanical fans.

I have 2 XJ;s an 88 and a 96.Modine/Readyrad/OEM all bras HD Cooling radiator.Be done with it...Visit bone yards and check them out...Modine for rad and A/C Condensor stock manufacture.Stock everything else except 180* stat.

Last edited:
Back