• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New camper/trailer build

Well haven't gotten a chance to really work on the trailer lately. Have had other stuff taking priority and the weather outside sucks to finish getting everything welded up.

Did get a bit of time to look at the axles on it this past Saturday. I'm just gonna replace the brake backing plates and rotors on the front axle and have to replace the one idler hub on the rear axle. Does anybody know how to identify what size axles these are? The front axle with the brakes on it has a 5 bolt mounting flange on it and everything I have seen so far is saying that would be like a 5200lb axle. Am I right on thinking this? I'm thinking the rear is just a 3500lb idler axle.

As a rule of thumb...usually
5 lug is 3500
6 lug is 5200
8 lug is 7000

mac 'usually' gyvr

measure the tube diameter.

Typical Axle Diameters Based on Axle Capacity
- 1,000-lb - 2,000-lb Axles: 1-1/2 inch - 1-3/4 inch diameter
- 3,500-lb Axles: 2-3/8 inch diameter
- 6,000-lb - 7,200-lb Axles: 3 inch diameter
- 8,000-lb Axles: 3-1/2 inch diameter
- 9,000-lb Axles: 4 inch diameter
- 10,000-lb Or more axles: 5 inch diameter

Well hmm. It has 5 lug on it now but the front axle has the 5 bolt mounting like the 5200lb axles I have found. Guess I'm just gonna have to keep looking around then. Would like to try and utilize the axles I have and just replace the brakes on it. Knowing my luck its some strange hybrid axle that you can't get parts for.

My 3500 trailer axles were upgraded last round to 3 in tube...but remain rated for 3500 due to hubs and spindles...

mac 'so generally speaking' gyvr

Well found a set of brand new 5200lb trailer axles for a really good deal so they will be going under the trailer not. Both have brakes on them so that's a plus.
df4348986ea03ea0b87abf21fea8e98b.jpg

Also thinking of using the 15x8 steel rims that came with my swampers I just bought and using them on the trailer. Does anybody know if I can safely mount 15x8 rims on 225x75x15 tires? They are load range d trailer tires. Here is how the rims would mount on the axles. Does it look ok? Or should I find different rims?
29ef0e60ce7ff0f5cf5f47dc247033c4.jpg

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

You want rims with neutral offset. And like Sean said, narrower.

mac 'like trailer rims' gyvr

Got more of the frame welded up today. Gonna start putting new axles in this week and finish welding in the angle iron that I'm running down the side frame rails. Also welded in a new tongue jack today as well.

Gonna be to a point here soon where it will be time to paint it. Anybody have any recommendations on what to use for getting the old paint and stuff off before I paint it black?

Depends on how fancy you want to get, but airplane stripper and a power washer would work, but you will want to be careful where you do it considering the mess it will make and where the paint and chemicals will run off to.

Depends on how fancy you want to get, but airplane stripper and a power washer would work, but you will want to be careful where you do it considering the mess it will make and where the paint and chemicals will run off to.

so do it in front of the hippie neighbors house.

Well had the day at home by myself so decided to try and knock some stuff out on trailer. Got new hangers in and new axles, tires, and rims under it. Is a little higher than I would have liked buy oh well. Went from 3500lb spring under axles to 5200lb spring over axles. Guess we will see how it does when it's done. Currently I'm about 27" to top of deck.

42a155dbf323ba59624d5bc6486717e1.jpg
9c72ad261e00fbea589b1e7a54bccee6.jpg

Got the angle iron ran down the sides and some of the boards ran as well. It's slowly coming along. Definitely taking longer than i wanted but limited time to get out and work on it lately.
f944c801e413030b7130a0584cd9293f.jpg

Still kinda on the fence on if I should go thru all the hassle to lower it or just keep it the way it is. What is everyone's opinions.

how high is it in relation to the tow rig?

Dovetail the rear?

It doesn't help that the excursion has such a low hitch height to begin with. I haven't had it hooked up to the wd hitch I'm gonna use yet. Gonna do that tomorrow.

Can't really dovetail the rear. Need all the deck space I can get. May be able to do a small one but would probably only be be about 2ft dovetail.

The dove on my car trailer is only 2'. What is your deck height to the top of the boards?

Sorry, I read back through this and saw it was @27". Personally I would lower it. No easier time than now before it is completed and you look back wishing you would have. By going spring under axle, what drop will that give you?

Yea the 27" was without the 2x8 boards on top. Im thinking the spring under should drop it about 4-5". Will get me down around the 23-24" deck height range. Thinking that will probably be my best option to do.

How much clearance do some of you have on your trailers that are spring under from top of axle to frame? I think I'm a little close on mine but wanting to double check.

Back