• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New build: Tealie

Sure, I'll get a closer pic of it tonight. I had a spare C-channel winch plate in the scrap metal pile that was 7.5" wide, just the height I needed for the front of the seat. I set it up on end and put two 1/2" bolts through it and the floor, and two more through it and the seat. The rear mount was a little tougher, I marked the holes and drilled through and the first hole came out just in front of the shock crossmember, so I put a 1/2" bolt there. The second came out inside the frame rail :doh: so I drilled it small and put a lag bolt through it. Not ideal at all but with three other 1/2" bolts holding it I am not too worried. If that corner comes free I will take some flat stock and bolt that through the floor and then bolt the seat to that.

I am 6'3" and with the seat reclined like that I have a few inches of headroom. I hope it's not too tall, but with the seat forward and sitting in the "valley" where the stock bench seat goes, there was just not enough legroom. So I traded off headroom for legroom and if my buddy has to gangsta lean he can deal with it :)

If I had real fab skills, I think a good option would be welding some box tube between the frame rails underneath the floor, and then cutting out the floor so the back of the seat can sit a few inches lower. Still though for not having much of a plan I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Ok I see it now. My thought was to cut the floor like you said. I see you have no track so that cuts an inch out of the height. I have two fronts I have been thinking about putting in the back of mine. The thoughts have been cut the whole top and redo my entire cage.... $$$ I don't have, or cut bottom and mount them lower. I think I'll be looking more into this very soon. Looking forward to seeing more of this. Jeep looks good by the way!

cant wait to see the 3 link.

Soooo I kind of suck at getting things done in a timely fashion. I went to start on this and found my passenger floor rusted through and had to fix that first.

5B550518-5A6D-4D6B-953D-1ED3320BEFD2_zpsowvu0y3u.jpg

But allow me to break you off a little preview of the remix:

08BB102C-0E74-4B7C-A9B8-828939E31BC1_zps8pbinyp3.jpg

This is just tacked for mock up, I was welding it up for real yesterday and of course I ran out of welding wire. Anxious to get home and get it finished up!

I will do a full write-up with all my pics after I get everything in for good.

I will have to bumpstop some more (which I needed to do anyway) to make sure the links clear, but I have a set of Prothane coil inserts waiting for that :cool: In my write-up I'll go through the minor issues I had and what I did to work around them. Obviously it's not a purely bolt-on installation, but I'm no fabricator and with Brian's awesome brackets it has not been bad at all.

If I had not spent so much time overthinking it, this would be a solid weekend project.

I was wondering if anyone was going to Post Brian 3-link; cool. I like the back seat as well.

Last edited:
H.D. Offroad Engineering 3-link install

(sorry about the blurry pictures, guess I need to clean the lens)

Brian has an improved design of these brackets, so the brackets I am installing are not exactly the same but the overall process is very similar. The new brackets inboard the lower links and change the orientation of the upper rod end on the frame side. You can see what the new brackets look like here:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1113127

Below is the version of the brackets that I am working with. Note that some aspects of my install might be different than yours, due to my rock rails, axle truss, etc. For instance, many people prefer to run the upper link on the passenger side, whereas I will be running the upper link on the driver's side, since I could put the link mount on top of my truss. I am using 1.25" lower rod ends and a 3/4" upper rod end.

ABB38D68-49C4-47BD-ABFA-139776765589_zpsnsh1kawy.jpg

Here's what I started with, an older 1-piece TnT Y-link and belly pan.

87030207-CF7D-4A17-9A9B-9063721C70A0_zpszdboqrja.jpg

I am only running the upper link on the driver's side, as I had some binding issues (not TnT's fault) and wasn't able to install the passenger side upper. It's not really noticeable in this picture but the hourglass bushings at the axle end are still under some bind, which produces a nice squeak every time I hit a bump. Also true to a radius arm setup, the Jeep tries to push itself back and away from any upwards obstacle. This is why I've wanted a true 3-link.

The TnT kit uses an extra bolt hole in front of the two crossmember holes, but I was planning to return to the stock crossmember. I planned to put the 3-link bracket directly in front of the stock crossmember. First problem, it hit my JCR rock rail attachment. I had ordered them to fit around TnT long arms, which either relocates the front mount, or the back mount, or both. It may not be a problem with other types of rock rails.

6BDA0137-4A79-4882-AE5B-B9DE75060E21_zpsc73e9ndb.jpg

I considered a few options like moving the 3-link brackets rearward to clear the rock rail. I finally decided to weld the rock rails to my H.D. Offroad frame stiffeners, and then notch the bracket around the rock rail. I ground off the paint around where the brackets would mount so that I could weld them to the frame at the end. The brackets bolt through the floor but also need to be welded. I found it was easier to mock up just the bracket bases without the link mounts welded to them yet. Test fitting the brackets:

6D723706-0AA8-458F-A8D5-3FCF1E588CDB_zpsbj5vsf95.jpg

One funny thing that got me later, if you have the jackstands in front of the brackets you can't install the lower links... oops! Luckily the new design inboards the lower links and makes this a non-issue. You need to drill 1/2" holes through the floor, as there are interior plates that go on top of the floor. I pulled up the carpet inside so that I could hide the plates and bolt heads under the carpet. Even if you don't have carpet, you probably have floor mats to throw on top of them anyway.

A65F9AEA-B19E-42E8-AB65-004E7943BAD8_zpsbqoggmix.jpg

I tacked the brackets together in case I screwed up my link placement or decision to go with a driver's side upper link. I also tack welded the nut for the upper bolt, since it's hard (impossible?) to reach after the brackets are installed.

7D385F8C-662D-4F73-88B8-C9E55CF1081E_zpsr3sbjftv.jpg

I elected to use the middle mounting location for the lower link. I ended up with 28" lower links and a 31.5" upper link. Had I used the rearmost mounting spot, the lowers would have been around 30.5". I chose to have the upper longer than the lower to help correct pinion angle as the axle droops, though it's probably not that big of a problem.

At this point I still had to deal with the upper link on the axle side, which is a common hurdle for 3-links designs as you need to have all rigid joints and eliminate the factory rubber UCA bushings. HDOE included an extra bracket to be welded to the end of the upper link, like most aftermarket upper arms (tabs on the arm and a bushing at the axle). However, if you do this you MUST replace the UCA bushing with a rigid joint. Currie (and possibly others) made a replacement UCA cartridge joint that you can use for this purpose. My truss was previously set up for universal fit poly bushings and a 1/2" through bolt. I opted instead to cut the mount off the truss completely:

9B258261-1DD7-4271-9367-3BBFC1EF30BB_zpsulwwjnap.jpg

And instead I welded the supplied link bracket to the axle, and used rod ends on both ends of the link. I pushed the axle side mount to the passenger side a little bit, to help the upper link clear the brake/fuel lines. Even if I had put the link mount directly above the pinion I don't think there would be any issues with the link hitting the driveshaft.

AB10DEFB-D7AC-4C01-9A43-A450110F5107_zpstdnewf8k.jpg

With the brackets, links, and axle bolted in, I could cycle the axle and check for any issues.

6293AE77-49D2-4485-B4FD-9C4E26A95B5F_zpsqwiyo1s0.jpg

I was pretty happy with how things looked, so I took it all apart to burn it in. Oooo, ugly welds:

C28C801D-D127-44C5-910C-C11D3906369D_zpscomraw3h.jpg

2FA4A75E-5F8B-409F-B174-FD6E75B76BB3_zpsbg2cy9fk.jpg

Yea I should probably grind some of these down and go back over them, but I figure quantity over quality. A sufficient number of crappy welds and it's not going anywhere.

Here it is at ride height:

1AF609AB-114F-4EFD-810F-03F6AB307405_zpsym76zula.jpg

Here's a side view at ride height:

7FD88438-950A-4470-AE8F-DCA92B76921A_zps2sdwk306.jpg

I tried to balance oil pan clearance, keeping the tire out of the front of the fender, keeping a couple degrees of caster and a good pinion angle. All of my links are at their minimum lengths right now, but I will probably add a 1/2" to the lowers to add some caster and bring the pinion down a little bit.

All in all this was a pretty intense project for me, but then again I work slow. I'd say it's definitely a weekend job if you have things planned out. This is something I wanted to do for a long time, I just had to wait for H.D. Offroad to make a kit!

Great right up on these brackets. I've got my eye on a set as well. Gonna talk some more with Brian when we are down in Harlan

Nice.... try not to flop this one at the top of rail bed!!!

Nice.... try not to flop this one at the top of rail bed!!!

It was a feat of acrobatic prowess.......and didn't you flop on an RTI ramp? Go home Glenn, you're drunk.

:D

Brad's rig is doughnut proof now, I say make it to top of railbed again and cut the wheel and floor it. Molly should wear her seatbelt this time though.

It was a feat of acrobatic prowess.......and didn't you flop on an RTI ramp? Go home Glenn, you're drunk.

:D

I was home. Yes it was an act of sure talent. Drunk? Maybe....

Nick said railbed is the first obstacle his group is gonna do, might as well get it out of the way first!

Brad's rig is doughnut proof now, I say make it to top of railbed again and cut the wheel and floor it. Molly should wear her seatbelt this time though.

You should see the look I get if I blip the throttle :nono:

I have to be careful with this Jeep, I've got too much money in it to screw it up. Yea that's probably what Durbin said too :D

It's been a productive week!

Installed Brothane coil inserts, so I can go-fast! I welded a short piece of 1.5" tube to the coil bucket, and cut off the bottom of the bumpstop cup and tapped it for a 10mm bolt to secure an upper landing plate. I should have cut the inserts down about another inch to give some more air gap, but I'm out of time so this will have to do.

ECE91157-604A-4726-9818-15C329B0B8AA_zpsnmmusdvm.jpg

Molly got me tail light boxes for my birthday! I finally got the wiring done and got them installed:

0A507A07-93AE-43ED-ACF9-84E8FC25A7EF_zpsa24xvj7s.jpg

In-cab winch controls! Being stuck doesn't mean I need to leave the air conditioning:

1C99BBEA-8D81-42A1-9722-2668C5DE3F67_zpsdek4nr76.jpg

Time to go to Harlan :D

D01F2742-E48F-4547-A305-C47EAA61ADEC_zpszdmq1cig.jpg

found a teal xj this week...my wife didn't like the color :( good thing it was rusty, or she would have been really mad driving it around the next few months!

Well it's been about a year... and I still have this one. Not much changed for a while, then Harlan was getting close so I figured I should do some stuff I've been putting off.

New springs, alloy shafts, and disc brakes on the 44. Used 8.8 backing plates and calipers, and ZJ rotors. Turned out pretty good, I wish I would have ditched the drums a long time ago.

774300B3-323B-4B05-995D-CE9DF3E4FC30_zpscipookvr.jpg

It's weird how the thought of driving down that mountain makes you deal with crap like brakes :D

Nice....Keep it up Brad......

Ram" Or should I say Rew's other brother" Rod

Back