• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEW BUILD - Black Out XJ

xtrememtbiker85 said:
I love the factory wheels painted black. i personally hate the D window or soft 8 wheels cause everyone has them and IMHO the stock steelies look much better black than those wheels.

I'm with ya on that. I see the black rock crawlers, soft 8's and all the otehr $40 a pop black steelies everywhere. I thought it was original and it cost less!

BTW, if anyone has another one of these sitting around. I need one for my spare.

wheels_bare.jpg

black_lifted03.jpg

The stock wheels look good but I like my steelies too. I can get them new for about $25 and I can also get them with less backspacing so my 33/12.5r15's dont rub at full lock unless I am really flexed up. I guess its just a matter of personal interest. Plus I have an unlimited supply of wheels with only a day wait while you have to search around for one. But the paint does look good. I see alot of people painting stock wheels with no prep work and they look like ass. You cant even tell yours are rattle canned. Nice Work!!

Chad29860 said:
I see alot of people painting stock wheels with no prep work and they look like ass. You cant even tell yours are rattle canned. Nice Work!!

The dupli-color paint really did a nice job. You just need to do it the way they say and the final product turns out rather smooth.

I have had very good luck with the duiplicolor paint. This is a spare wheel for my g/f's LJ to match these off ebay. They only sell them in sets of 4 so i got a 5th and painted it with duplicolor acrylic lacquer, 3 coats gloss black sanded in between and 2 coats clear sanded in between, I was going to wet sand the final coat but there are too many nooks and cranies to miss and its a spare that will have a tire cover on it so it will be fine the way it is. it is dusty so it does not look as good but in person it came out great.

Ebay wheel Black ravines,
blackravines.jpg

My wheel,
DSCN2639.jpg

Those wheels will replace these ZJ wheels i also painted with the argent duplicolor wheel paint.

Whats on the LJ now, Argent painted Zj wheels,
IMG_0610.jpg

Link to Ebay wheels

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/15-8...019QQitemZ290238424840QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

epitaphmike said:
I'm with ya on that. I see the black rock crawlers, soft 8's and all the otehr $40 a pop black steelies everywhere. I thought it was original and it cost less!

BTW, if anyone has another one of these sitting around. I need one for my spare.

wheels_bare.jpg

black_lifted03.jpg

I have a set of those - but I am sure some body closer may have one. If not, PM me.

epitaphmike said:
Those are the wheels I really want. The backspacing on mine is too much. I am rubbing my 31's on the coil springs on tight turns.

I took the Jeep out this past weekend for a little shake down run. She performed as expected. I will post a few pics soon.
I am looking to get a RE 3.5 kit and 31" tires and would like to keep my stock rims too. just like yours. You say you have rubbing with 31" tires in the front. How bad is it? Any on the rear? BTW the black looks sweet, good job.

I peeled the side trim off mine. I like the look, like someone else said: sleek. Mine however isn't quite sleek though...I keep thinking about repainting it with some actual prep work put in and a gloss paint, but I'm lazy and poor. Maybe once in my house I might, seeing as to how I'll have an actual garage!

Looks good, I just painted my wheels black this weekend. Between that and reblacking all my faded trim and bumpers and it's like having a brand new Jeep. I haven't decided if I'm going to paint the silver centers, or use some black ones I already have that have the lip around them.

Oh, and for the record... here is a much better write up for painting wheels.
http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150483&highlight=paint+wheels
:wave:

Hey man looks good, I did the same thing with my stock rims, but i got mine powder coated... I sand-blasted them, then put on 3 layers of powder coat (so everything inside out got it) and 2 layers of clear coat... Was only $45 a rim... I decided that since im mostly a DD, I used sticky weights when I balanced my wheels... Ill have to get some pictures up...

Austin

It's kind of scary how much yours looks like how I want to make mine into. I got a 99 XJ and 3.5 rubicon express is what I want to put on it and I was looking to see if anyone painted stock rims before and those are the same rims on mine. Thanks for the inspiration, the Jeep looks SICK!

epitaphmike said:
Thats funny. I went through some of you previous post to find a pic but didn't see one. I didn't look that hard either.

I'm not really going for the super stealth look, I just like all black vehicles. I am trying to keep the interior mostly stock. I am planning on adding a few gauges (oil temp, trans temp and air pressure). I read a thread about retrofitting a MyGig w/ Nav. If someone else tackles that first I will attempt it, but my electrical skills suck.

You most likely better off getting someone to custom fit a double din aftermarket nav. They look pretty damn nice if it's done properly. And aftermarket navs blow factory ones out of the water. Look into the new kenwood series with the garmin navs on em. Oh and it will prolly cost less to get an aftermarket and an ipod or they take hard drives too than it will for the mygig w/nav unless you can get one for cheap from a jy. Just throwin it out there as something to think about.

not to jack the thread but does anyone have or have seen a 99 limited rims painted or powder coated black?

I did the same thing to mine, only i didnt take the wheels off. I just took a deck of old playing cards and stuck them between the tire and wheel at the seam and taped off the center cap and lug nuts. Good looking though. Hit it with some clear coat to make em shiny!

Back