• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New 2008 Chevy HHR ONLY 112 miles

cyberbackpacker

NAXJA Forum User
I won this car on the "Price Is Right" which aired October 22nd, and I have video of the show to document this as well as all paperwork from CBS.

We are forced to sell because we cannot afford to pay all of the taxes associated with winning this.

It is a 2008, new model year, Chevy HHR in Cardinal Red Metallic with Gray interior. IT ONLY HAS 112 ACTUAL MILES as of this typing; the car is only being driven for selling purposes. We are asking $15,000. Sticker price was $18584

We would love to be able to keep the car, but cannot afford to pay the taxes on it. So we are forced to sell. The Price is Right does not offer a cash alternative to prizes, so that is why it is for sale.

Vehicle is in our possession parked in my garage. Also have a picture of the paperwork showing the total purchase price, etc.

VIN number on request.

Pics can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberbackpacker/sets/72157603148341771/.

Additional pictures available upon request.

Tags, title, and registration are in hand.

Some details:
2008 Chevy HHR LS
4 door
Cardinal Red Metallic
Gray interior
Automatic transmission
remote start
Onstar equipped
Upgraded factory mp3/cd radio with auxiliary input for ipod and other devices
"Info" button: real time tire pressure monitoring
real time coolant temperature and condition monitoring
real oil temp and condition monitoring
plus other diagnostic information
dealer Paint and Fabric protection
rear defrost and wiper
power windows
power door locks
power everything
Plus all other components that are standard on this model

EPA of 22mpg city and 30mpg highway.

Vehicle is flawless with a perfectly clear title.

All factory warranties transfer.

A great deal for someone looking for a new car; help me and help yourself! :)

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

i think the idea is they are selling it to pay the taxes THEY owe. you pay the 15k and thats it... plus whatever title and lic fees are.

GrimmJeeper said:
i think the idea is they are selling it to pay the taxes THEY owe. you pay the 15k and thats it... plus whatever title and lic fees are.

Yeah I got that, but the question was what taxes do they have to pay. I was curious about how much a free car actually costs.

I don't know what the tax rate is his/her county but here in Alameda county the tax rate is 8.75%.

So given the sticker price is $18584, multiply by 0.0875 and the taxes owed are $1621.10 if it were in Alameda county. Tack on about another $200 for title and license fees and your "free" car runs about $1800.

spudly said:
I don't know what the tax rate is his/her county but here in Alameda county the tax rate is 8.75%.

So given the sticker price is $18584, multiply by 0.0875 and the taxes owed are $1621.10 if it were in Alameda county. Tack on about another $200 for title and license fees and your "free" car runs about $1800.

Its more than just that. You have to add the value of the car into your income for the year.

My friend won a 2007 Lancer at a Mitsubishi Owners Meet at South Coast Mitsu earlier this year. He sold it and put away around 5k for taxes.

We paid close to $1300 in sales tax, and on the income tax we figure it'll be roughly another $5000. We figure the "free" car will cost approximately 6k, give or take a little.

That is cheap for a brand new car, but if you cannot afford it, you cannot afford it.

Great price though for someone in need of a new, safe, roomy, fuel efficient vehicle with some styling! :)

I'm willing to buy the car for $11,500 if you will accept my offer. Please let me know via private message if you'll accept my offer.

Back