• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Welding advice

What does weld spatter do to concrete? Ive got the orange tint from grinding dust rusting, but i havent noticed any damage from the welder.

Is it because my floor is a semi rough texture concrete(brushed)?

On smooth concrete the weld spatter will freeze to the concrete. Throwing a welding blanket down will prevent the need for a scrub brush.

Wire feed update. I ran out of wire today on my Hobart 125ez I was running .035 Hobart wire before that I tried .030 Hobart wire... Well today based on everyone saying Lincoln's wire was good. I went and picked up a spool of .030 and holy hell what a difference!! It's like a different machine, I still like my arc welder but for for thin wall stuff im pretty happy with it :)

OK, I'm shopping around for a welder currently.

I was previously budgeting quite a bit of coin for a hobart 140 or Lincoln weldpak. But like my hitachi grinder that's about 5 years old (which I use the CRAP out of), I COULD have spent a lot more on a milwalkee or DeWalt brand, but I ended up buying all the quality I need for about half the cost.

Are these HF unit's legit?

I have a 220v welding circuit that my lincoln arc welder plugs into, that I'd be able to use for a 220v buzzbox, but I also have 20amp breakers on all my 110v circuits, too.

if you have the money, go with a real mig welder, not just a wire feed. the gas is well worth it IMO, i'll never weld without it.

if you have the money, go with a real mig welder, not just a wire feed. the gas is well worth it IMO, i'll never weld without it.
X2, it is so much better using gas shielded wire. Another tip, spray everything around what you are gonna weld with WD40 prior to welding and the boogers won't stick.

Wire feed update. I ran out of wire today on my Hobart 125ez I was running .035 Hobart wire before that I tried .030 Hobart wire... Well today based on everyone saying Lincoln's wire was good. I went and picked up a spool of .030 and holy hell what a difference!! It's like a different machine, I still like my arc welder but for for thin wall stuff im pretty happy with it :)

Really? I have a huge spool of Hobart stuff and it's okay, but I've never used anything different. The Lincoln stuff welds better, huh?

I have noticed difference in different brands, I don't normally buy name brand as I get the larger spools from a welding supply but the ones from one supply house to another burn different.

i use the big rolls of HF solid wire and it burns fine. i'm almost through my second roll. although i have heard negative things about it, however i am pretty sure it's just blaming their crappy welding skills on the wire.

i use the big rolls of HF solid wire and it burns fine. i'm almost through my second roll. although i have heard negative things about it, however i am pretty sure it's just blaming their crappy welding skills on the wire.

yup, that's what I'm thinking about the welders themselves, too. Not to say that Miller, Hobart, and Lincoln aren't quality, awesome units, but I have seen first hand that the HF units will lay down a very, very nice bead on standard thickness mild steel.

I think, for me, its more about, will it lay down a good bead a year from now, too...

Last edited:
Back