• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need to install a bastard pack lift - today!!

SanDiegoOverland

NAXJA Forum User
Truck is apart and I need to go to work this afternoon. PM me, plz!

Just kidding.

Sorry kdub. :D

I do have budget lift questions, however. Wanting to go 3"-3.5" w/ 31's. I'd like to go OME, but honestly I think I'll be doing this on the cheap, (see my sallie mae thread..hahhaa!)

Rear springs: My current ones are S shaped, but I have a fresh set in my garage. I plan on picking up an s10 pack as soon as I find one. This will require pulling spring eye bolts, which I'm scared of, but they need to be refreshed anyways...

(new ubolts, spring clamps, spring pins, bushings, are assumed)

Rear Shocks: whats the best choice? fork over for OME stuff?

Rear brake lines: YJ's?

Front springs: have some fresh 2000ish XJ springs, can I just use a spacer up front with these? I have a Logan's bumper, and will have a winch soon. Should I just look for Grand Cherokee V8 springs? (+ spacers?) or aftermarket 3" + spacer to level once winch is added?

Front Brake lines: YJ's?

Front shocks: Same question as rear...

LCA: Like to get some tubular, adj. ones. I don't mind spending here, since I'd like to be able to go up in height in the distant future, if I want. Maybe RE's superflex (I think thats the name)

UCA: Necessary? Anyone not do these right of the bat?

TracBar: I'd like to spend here, too, on an adjustable one. Brands you like?

Steering: I'm pretty set on the Currie Correctlync, when I can afford it.

Anything I'm forgetting? I might install an 8.25 at the same time, since I have to pull the springs anyways...but might wait on that. I guess that would only determine u-bolt size and driveshaft length. (and lack of ABS)

Oh, and tires will VERY likely be Treadwrights. They're super tough and a good value for the money spent. I've run them on 3 rigs so far, with no issues.

-Brian

I am adding 2" spacers and shackles to my sagging old 2"(?) lift. This should take me to about 3 1/2". I ordered Pro-Comp 9000 rear shocks from Summit on pn#ES922500 for only $21.50 each but I just checked their site and now it says they are out of stock. I guess I took the last 2. I bought the YJ lines from VatoZone. They were cheap, about $16 each.
Definitely swap to the 8.25. You just need the U-bolts. Good luck.

post your tech questions in tech forums and see what type of responses you get

taking apart leaf springs = no biggie, just use 2 c-clamps from home depot on each side of the center bolt. then slowly spread em!

RE control arms aint cheap, especially when you get em adjustable! i would recommend the uppers as well, the stock ones flex (could be my imagination, or my parts). they sure is nice though!.

i wont get into shocks, because you said budget a couple times! and thats no fun.
get a real, double shear trackbar + trackbar bracket, but then again, there goes the budget! i like tnt, but its the only one ive ran.

Rear springs: My current ones are S shaped, but I have a fresh set in my garage. I plan on picking up an s10 pack as soon as I find one. This will require pulling spring eye bolts, which I'm scared of, but they need to be refreshed anyways... I have heard that S10 Bastard pack springs ride like covered wagons. I don't know first hand but its been said. If you value ride quality, check into that.

(new ubolts, spring clamps, spring pins, bushings, are assumed)

Rear Shocks: whats the best choice? fork over for OME stuff? I LOVE Bilstein. SoCalBill has OME so maybe he will chime in

Rear brake lines: YJ's? I don't know. I used Earls line with an adapter

Front springs: have some fresh 2000ish XJ springs, can I just use a spacer up front with these? I have a Logan's bumper, and will have a winch soon. Should I just look for Grand Cherokee V8 springs? (+ spacers?) or aftermarket 3" + spacer to level once winch is added? Maybe look around for someone selling springs cheap. Or check Rough Country they have good prices. I don't like spacers and you really can't go more than 2" without troubles.

Front Brake lines: YJ's? Crazy Jim is using rubber Chevy 1500 ones I think from NAPA..... GRIMM?????

Front shocks: Same question as rear... Same answer as rear

LCA: Like to get some tubular, adj. ones. I don't mind spending here, since I'd like to be able to go up in height in the distant future, if I want. Maybe RE's superflex (I think thats the name) RE makes superflex and superride. Superride have rubber bushing and superflex have rebuildable joints. I prefer the superflex.

UCA: Necessary? Anyone not do these right of the bat? You do not have to do these right away (unless you get death wobble and need to adjust caster or something). Crazyjim ran stock UCA's and jumped his junk with no known problems (not recommmended your results may vary).

TracBar: I'd like to spend here, too, on an adjustable one. Brands you like? Here I REALLY like the RE Extreme duty (RE1660) along with the bracket (RE1665) and if you got the money get the brace while you are doing it (RE1670). The Extreme duty is MONEY WELL SPENT. It is double shear and you will never have a problem with it with exception to replacing rubber bushing at axle end occasionally.

Steering: I'm pretty set on the Currie Correctlync, when I can afford it. Good option but not needed right away if you use money other places first. I ran stock steering on my rig with RE long arm lift (again not recommended but can be done to buy time)

Anything I'm forgetting? I might install an 8.25 at the same time, since I have to pull the springs anyways...but might wait on that. I guess that would only determine u-bolt size and driveshaft length. (and lack of ABS)

Oh, and tires will VERY likely be Treadwrights. They're super tough and a good value for the money spent. I've run them on 3 rigs so far, with no issues.

-Brian

OME? ore OEM?

I'd really like to install an Old man emu kit from DPG offroad, but I don't know if I'll have the $500+ budget required to purchase that kit. So I'm considering a bastid pack as an alternative, and have gathered a few of the parts already.

Another option that was just presented was using my fresh stock rears with a quality add-a-leaf Rough country or Superlift setup that has shocks and front coils. Supposedly its a good setup for not much coin.

-B

EDIT: Here's the kits I have been considering:

http://www.dpgoff-road.com/site/OMEXJkits.htm

...I was thinking the basic kit, and then add Gr. Chero V8 springs and a shackle lift in the rear to get around 3". I'm most concerned with a quality rear spring cuz I carry my three kids and lots of gear when I go camping/exploring. I don't mind trading a bit of flex for load-carrying ability.

Last edited:
I'd really like to install an Old man emu kit from DPG offroad, but I don't know if I'll have the $500+ budget required to purchase that kit. So I'm considering a bastid pack as an alternative, and have gathered a few of the parts already.

Another option that was just presented was using my fresh stock rears with a quality add-a-leaf Rough country or Superlift setup that has shocks and front coils. Supposedly its a good setup for not much coin.

-B

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1017624

I'd piece together some RE stuff. You really can't go wrong with RE.

When I first lifted my 2 door, I used an s10 bastard pack that I made, It rode pretty good. It was nice and soft and flexed alright and sat about 4.5 inches at first, But after the first couple months it settled down to around 3-3.5 inches.

Back