• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need to add a suckdown winch

If you have a mid arm and are having that much drop out... something seems off. I understand that the winch would accomplish a center limit... but what I am getting at is that you need a center limit PERIOD. Regardless if there is plans for a winch or not. Its cheap and easy... you really should do that first. What kind of seperation do your links have at axle and frame? Maybe your shocks are not tuned correct? I dont know all that much about Air shocks... but could easily refer the proper people to help if need be.

But also.. why a mid arm 4 link?? Running a single upper arm is more efficient IMO.. but then again, I dont think it matters...

you need to remember that it is full hydro so there is no steering to restrict the droop and the arms do not bind at all, if it did not have a tracbar on it the axle could probably droop all the way down and back. I will eventually rework all of the front someday but for now I am gonna wheel it for a while as it has been down for a year already

Have you run your suspension through the 4 link calculator? I would like to see what the numbers are. From watching the video, it seems like the rear A/S is super high which could be why the rear axle keeps wanting to walk under the vehicle and also why the front is dropping away so much other than the fact that its a steep hill climb. I base this off having ridden with and seen lots of suspensions on the trail as well as having built several link suspensions and running them through the 4 link calculator to see what the numbers are and how they work compared to the real world. Limiting straps and a suck down winch will help and will make it behave better on the trail, but it will still be a bandaid. No big deal though, a friend of mine has the same issue with his buggy and the suspension winches pretty much fixed it :)

Good Luck,

AARON

Scrappy said:
Why don't you do this... put a center limit strap in and corner limit straps in. Set your front center limit so that you have only a small percent of your total travel. If you run 14" shocks with 4" up, then let only 4" down at the middle. With airshocks and c/o's you REALLY need corner straps to keep from destroying your shocks. I am not sure how your front DS is not blowing up from binding up!

My personal experience? Way more than you thats for sure. But, what I am basis all of this information is simple suspension design.
I was thinking the same thing, Matt. If he had limit straps, his tire wouldn't rotate all the way back to near the rear of the wheel well. Also, wouldnt it be limited if he ran the air shock's lower eye parallel to the axle, bolt perpendicular (I don't know if it is on his rig or not), because it wouldnt allow it to move like a link arm, it would be relatively straight up and down movement?

Last edited:
One thing that will help with the unloading is to change your pistons in the Air Shocks to ones with a bleed off hole. Fox, right? They sell a piston that has one, helps quite a bit with the unloading as the fluid can bleed through at low velocity.

Weasel said:
One thing that will help with the unloading is to change your pistons in the Air Shocks to ones with a bleed off hole. Fox, right? They sell a piston that has one, helps quite a bit with the unloading as the fluid can bleed through at low velocity.

OH! I completely forgot about that. That is a MUST!

suspension wise your rig looks awsome, mabey get some limiting straps on each end instead, whats your wheel base? your looking really short, seeing how your tubed in the back why not extend your wheel base to like 115 or something then you wont have such a problem.

just my .02 thats all
sweet rig

Back