• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need opinion on grand

Roverbill

NAXJA Forum User
I know I don't post here very often, but I check this site almost every day and value the opinions posted here. I'm even considering becoming a member now that a Northwest Chapter is in the works.
I am looking at a 93 Grand Wagoneer and need some opinions. A dealer friend (former boss) has it and is going to let me test drive it for a couple of weeks. This will be for a daily driver, and somthing good for my wife to drive in the winter. It has the 5.2 V-8, 249? transfer case (4-hi, N, 4-lo), power everything, leather seats, skid plate package, 3.73 gears, 110,000 miles. good paint, spotless interior. locally owned.
What kind of mileage can I expect out of this? It seems to run and drive great. I'm assuming this is the transfere case with the visscus(sp) clutch in it, are these reliable?
I should be able to get it for $6000-$6500.
Sorry about all the questions, but this is the first non GM vehicle I have ever considered for a daily driver.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan.

you may want to go over to the NAGCA site. www.nagca.com

Fairly similar to this site, but the people aren't as cool;)

I think that 6-6500 is a little steep, especially for a 93, but check over there.

FWIW, here in KY a 98 4.0 4WD is going for 7k on the smaller lots

John

????
A '93? Are we taling Grand Wagoneer, or Grand Cherokee? I think in '93 it must be a Grand Cherokee. This would be the first year for the ZJ, and there were some teething problems. The 5.2L is a bit of a gas hog, but not as bad as the 360 V-8 in the Grand Wagoneer. On the '93 the tailgate glass won't flip up. The transfer case does not lock in 4WD high range -- which many people find to be a problem leading to swapping in a later model transfer case.

Defenantly ZJ, Grand Wagoneer. Not to concerned about the t-case, as long as they are not problematic. This vehicle would not see any off road duty. Also less for the wife to mess with when the weather turns bad.

Thanks,

Bryan.

Roverbill said:
Defenantly ZJ, Grand Wagoneer.

The ZJ is not a Grand Wagoneer, it's a Grand Cherokee. That's why I seem confused. The Grand Wagoneer was an SJ, not a ZJ.

Some of the 93 ZJs came with the wood side paneling and were called Grand Wagoneers. Same thing as a Grand Cherokee, but with pimp daddy wood paneling.

I would have to agree the price is farily steep. Check edmunds.com and kbb.com for pricing.

NAGCA.com is the site for info. Some big ZJ problems are oil leaks and diff noises.

My neighbor just paid 3000 for a 93 ZJ 5.2 auto with NP242(?) with ~90K miles, for what that's worth. That is what they go for around KY. The body has some dings, but it's in decent shape.

110'000k and he wants 6k for it.... i'd give him 3k. ZJ are becoming a dime a dozen. i have a '93 limited and i wanted to use it as a trade in. dealer wanted to give me 2k for it... kept it and i'm still driving it a couple of days a week. i like it more and more everytime i drive it. can't get rid of it now. 11-15mpg 177k. depends on the right foot.

3K sounds about right. I would take a pass on it and get an XJ with leather, 4.0 and 231. That 249 tends to eat the viscous coupler. Lots of problems with the ALum D44. CV joints.

For that matter, spend $6k on a 1990 4 runner.

SeanP

Thanks for the info. I knew the price was on the higher side and that I wasn't going to steel it. I've got lots of time to think about it, just really liked how clean this thing is for its age.

Thanks again,

Bryan.

Back