• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help With Getting Renix 4.0 Running

eric91xj

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, my buddy has an '89 2 door 5sp 4.0 Xj, he really needs it gone, the driveline runs great and everything but he lost the key for it so technically it does'nt run. He is willing to let it go to me for $300 cash, i know, dirt dirt cheap, he still has the jeep registered and insured with plates on it so i really really don't wanna pay an extra $100 for a tow to location of my choice so i'm thinking i would like to do a clean hot wire job so i could just drive it away until i can make it to the junk yard to get a new ignition and key for it. my question is how exactly do you hotwire a Renix jeep without breaking anything, i know this is a touchy subject because your basically telling me how to steal a jeep but hey i really need to do this, it'd save me a $100. thanx alot guys. and its a pleasure to always have this forum at my disposal as little as i might use it.

Even if you could hotwire it, the steering wheel would still be locked. Obviously you are in dire straits and looking to get out of this cheap, so if it were me I would break the ignition and start it that way.

lol, thats funny you say dire straights because thats who i'm listening to right now as i read your post, anyhow yeah i plan on breaking the ignition because i'm just gonna get a new one and keys out of the bone yard but i'm basically asking after i smash the ignition, how do i start it, what wires to i have to jump, or is smashing the ignition all i have to do?? i've never tried anything like this before so i'm pretty clueless. thanx.

get a lock cylinder for about $30 and replace it. It only takes about 45 minutes.

If you decide to break the lock cylinder, all you have to do is turn it once it is broken and it will start.

damn you guys respond fast, sorry to sound so ignorant but when you break it you basically just jam a screwdriver in there and force it to turn no?

eric91xj said:
its a pleasure to always have this forum at my disposal as little as i might use it.

If he is inheriting an 89 Jeep, "He'll Be Back", and real regular like me thinks!

I would not waste my time at the junk yard for the ignition lock. Too much work and they probably won't have the key anyway.

Just buy a new one (apx $30) replace it, then your done with it.

yeah if they are that cheap i will probrably just get a new one then, i thought they were more. and yes i will be back, i've been popping up on and off for years on here, i love this site, i used to be more of a regular back before everything got wiped out years ago and the original site. thanx again.

If you can get the lock cylinder to the "on" position take a screwdriver and touch the two posts on the starter, she will start right up :)

Get a BIG Screwdriver, a big hammer and some vicgrips. Put the vicgrips on the screwdriver, beat the screw driver in and then twist a little, beat it in further,twist, beat it in same more............evenualy it will twist and the light on the dash will come on and you will be able to start it!

Don't be two force full on the vicgrips,until you have sunk it in as deep as the Key would have gone!!!!!!

Works like a charm;)

Flash.

EDIT To remove and replace the lock cylinder it need to be in the on position so its make it a lot easer to remove the old one if you can get it to the on position.

ORRR go to Auto Zone, rent a steering wheel puller, remove the wheel, carefully remove the guts one piece ata time, and take out the one screw that retains the Key Cylinder (sP?)Just one screw and it slides rightout.
I replaced that very part on my 89 a few years ago. Much less messy and you get to experience the inside of a steerign wheel housing.

Wallyman said:
ORRR go to Auto Zone, rent a steering wheel puller, remove the wheel, carefully remove the guts one piece ata time, and take out the one screw that retains the Key Cylinder (sP?)Just one screw and it slides rightout.
I replaced that very part on my 89 a few years ago. Much less messy and you get to experience the inside of a steerign wheel housing.

I agree that the wheel will need to be remove to get the ign cylinder out but there, somewheres, is a pin,detent,button.......something that has to be release beside the the bolt pin................Hmmmmm when you get your new cylinder lock, read the destruction(instructions) and it will explain what I'm doing a pour job trying to!!!!!:twak:

Flash.

yeah, thats exactly more what i was looking for is do i have to take the wheel off to take the plastics off the column and expose the cylinder, i plan on replacing the cylinder after i get it to work, so i'll just do the screw driver trick, i plan on going to the kids house after work tomorrow to get it, we'll see how she goes, this is going to be my 4th Xj that i'd had since i was 15, i'm 23 now, although my daily driver now is a Crx, i've always wanted a stickshift 2dr Xj so $300 for a solid driving truck i can't turn down, i gotta drive this thing for at least a little bit

eric91xj said:
yeah, thats exactly more what i was looking for is do i have to take the wheel off to take the plastics off the column and expose the cylinder, i plan on replacing the cylinder after i get it to work, so i'll just do the screw driver trick, i plan on going to the kids house after work tomorrow to get it, we'll see how she goes, this is going to be my 4th Xj that i'd had since i was 15, i'm 23 now, although my daily driver now is a Crx, i've always wanted a stickshift 2dr Xj so $300 for a solid driving truck i can't turn down, i gotta drive this thing for at least a little bit

Ya you will have to remove the steering will to get the ign sw out. The collar will not need to be remove but the turn signal assembly will need to be pulled up to get at the bolt ... and the ign has to be on the run position to replace it.

Flash.

Another, less destructive option, would be to call a locksmith and have a key cut for the existing column. Shouldn't cost more than $60 and you wouldn't have to buy another lock cylinder. You could even have him do the doors while he's there and have a full set of keys for your new cheap Jeep.

Later,
Joe

picked up the jeep tonite after work, got it fired right up after a little bit of finesse, lol. i jammed a screw driver into the key hole and it slit the lock cylinder and broke some of the tumblers, i was able to pretty much take the cylinder out in pieces after a couple more hits eventually exposing the rod in the bottom of the cylinder hole, i grabbed it with needle nose pliers, turned it like a key and she fired right up, it had'nt been run in about 2 months and started right up but was misfiring the whole 15 minute drive home, no check, engine light. the kid said it ran perfect and did'nt miss at all before it sat, i did'nt look into it at all tonite, i'm assuming something simple. we'll see tomorrow. anyway i'm pumped as hell to get this thing on the road, its really pretty damn clean, its a red 2 door sport, all original, 145,xxx, everything works, 6cyl, 5spd tranny, awsome. from the beginning i always had wanted a 5sp 2 door, took me 5 Xj's to get there, lol.

Its a renix you wont get a check engine light... Get handy with a multimeter and this page
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/Basic_Sensors_Diagnostics.htm
and you should be running great.
If its been sitting.. check to see how dirty the TB is first, change the oil, check all the fluids, and change them all.
Its nice to start your own maintenence with a clean slate.
I have an 88, 2 door, 5 speed, had it since new, its no dd anymore, but I wont get rid of it. Good Luck

Back