• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with diagnosing front end issue

white99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've read all the different DW threads and so forth so I know what parts to check, but not sure of what to look for with regards to the parts. I've already replaced the stabilizer and front shocks and had new tires balanced and put on last November. How do I tell if the ball joints are bad, if the tie rod ends are shot, etc...? I bought the Jeep at 51K and now it has 123K so I think some of the front end parts might need to be freshened as I've had it aligned 4 times in the last two years due to wobbling and pretty decent drifting left and right. I got all the service records when I bought it and according to those none of the OEM front end had been replaced and I haven't changed any. Any help is appreciated.

have someone sit in the jeep with it running, have them turn the wheel lock to lock while you sit underneath the front of the jeep, look for problems, you'll see play, or slop, or any number of weird things.... report back on what you find, this will test tie rod ends. also pay attention to your trackbar bracket... make sure it isnt moving...

to test ball joints, jack up a front wheel one at a time, and try to shake the wheel around a horizontal axis. there shouldnt be any play. if there is, determain where the play is... does the entire outter c wobble w/ the wheel?(balljoints) or only the rotor?(bearings or unit hub)

what kinda suspension mods?

whats the condition of the control arm bushings? 20 year old oem? or new aftermarket?

trackbar bushings worn? trackbar bracket loose and sliding around? axle end loose?

you say youve read all the threads, well, what have you eliminated besides tires, shocks and steering stabalizer? theres a very long list, and youve allready read it, right?

I haven't eliminated any parts yet since I wasn't sure of the "bad" signs to look for. I replaced the shocks and tires when I took off my lift about two years ago and put on stock steering parts that a buddy had given me from his XJ. Probably just should have spent a little money and bought new stuff then to save from this now. Anyways, I had an OME 3-3.5" lift w/31's on my XJ for a year and half roughly before going back to stock height. I did switch to an adjustable trackbar and JKS disco's while it was lifted so besides the shocks, disco's, and trackbar all the other components were left as stock. Initially after dropping in height I had no issues with the ride until just over a year with the stock steering on. I remember last time I had it aligned the guy said the trackbar seemed like it had a little play to it so maybe I'll start there and then go to ball joints, hubs, and so forth. Appreciate the help so far and I'll post what I find.

Ends up the tie rod ends are shot. Ordered new ends and a new trackbar since it had some slop at the rod end and the cap wouldn't seat after greasing it and I found a new one for only $30 online. Thanks for the help.

Back