• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help identifying oil leak

Well I cleaned as much as I could with Simple Green and paper towels (no degreaser and hosing down yet) and drove to the beach... no fresh oil yet. It must be a really slow leak.

Quit rubbing it in about driving to the beach in Maui, would ya? Those of us stateside are raking leaves, putting storm windows on, and servicing our snow blowers. BTW, which beach? Can you get me a job driving the gasoline tanker up to Hana?

Hey, this is stateside too. Don't refer to "the states" here or some big Hawaiian guy might kick your ***!

Jobs, hah. If my leak turns out to be something serious I'm going to be the one finding a second job to pay for the repair, and there no jobs

EXACTLY. It always seems to drip off the lowest part of the engine at the rear...

I don't think it has a choice what with gravity and all.

Looks like your valve cover may have a "seep" in that area but not enough to create drops. If the VC is to blame it's likely be AT the rear (the part you can't see) as it's a.) out of sight and b.) the hardest bolt to tighten.

Keep looking

I don't think it has a choice what with gravity and all.

Looks like your valve cover may have a "seep" in that area but not enough to create drops. If the VC is to blame it's likely be AT the rear (the part you can't see) as it's a.) out of sight and b.) the hardest bolt to tighten.

Keep looking

Correct. My point exactly. If you only look at the point of the drip, without first inspecting for the source, where the leak originates, you wind up blaming the RMS. Gravity at work.

Replaced my oil filter, so I'll have to see if that stops the leak.

But I snapped off the pressure sensor plug from the metal part that screws into the engine block. It looks like it was on its way out anyway.

OK, I've confirmed that it's the oil filter adapter that's leaking. Not looking forward to getting that damn torx bolt out.

Is the elbow adapter really necessary? Why not screw the filter into the engine block directly?

Without the OFA you are looking at clearance issues with the unibody--lose an engine mount and you are looking at a damaged/leaking oil filter.

It definitely looks like your valve cover gasket is bad..or somebody cranked the bolts down without the spacers being installed correctly..just did my 99 XJ...the bolt o-rings shouldn't be warped like yours.

OK, I've confirmed that it's the oil filter adapter that's leaking. Not looking forward to getting that damn torx bolt out.

Is the elbow adapter really necessary? Why not screw the filter into the engine block directly?
I'm not sure you can get a filter in or out with no OFA and the frame rail where it is.

Back