• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help - buying advice, please

TA2Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so after a very frustrating month of searching for an XJ, I’ve got 2 on deck that I’d like opinions on to make a choice between. My end goal for a rig is to be lifted 3” on 31s (Yeah, I know everyone says I’ll want to go bigger, but I am only 5’6”) with an Aussie locker up front. The rig will be used mostly to go exploring in SoCal areas, doing mines and ghost towns with some more “extreme” runs happening when I hit the trails with you guys. I’ve got about $3k - $4k to spend. The rig needs to be AC equipped and reliable as I’ll have my family bouncing around with me.

Option 1 – 1994 4 door sport stocker. AOD with 8.25 out back and factory tow package (Would the 94 have the limited slip and tranny cooler?). 180k miles, but the motor and tranny are in good shape. Coolant leak, but it appears to be just a hose issue with some rotting on the neck of the thermostat housing. AC / Heat and everything works as it should, just normal 17 years of wear and tear. Paint is faded rollover red (I am not a big fan of red) and no major dents or physical damage inside or out. Jeep is original owner by a family in West LA. Saw some 4x action in snow, going to Mammoth and such, but nothing serious. Jeep was purchased by parents and then each of the 2 boys had it while learning to drive and through high school. It’s a Jewish family in West LA so I can see the potential where it was pretty well taken care of and not abused, even though it was driven by 2 high school boys for a while. I can pick this up for about $900 (Minus smog, transfer and other DMV fees), which leaves me a good amount to get lifted and all the other equipment I need to be trail ready.

Option 2 – 1999 4 door classic stocker. AOD with 8.25 out back and factory tow package. Does have limited slip and tranny cooler. 114k miles and in good condition all around except for the fact that it’s missing the left front fender flare. Paint is the oh so gorgeous gunmetal blue and no damage in or out save for the missing fender flare. Interior is obviously in much better condition than the ’94. 3 previous owners shown on carfax (Current dealership would be #4), started life in Arizona and spent about 9 years in Washington (As far as I’m aware, they don’t use salt in the PNW); it sits on a dealerships lot in SoCal right now. Does have tow bar mounts up front, so how many of those 114k are “real” miles? Will be $5500 out the door including all smog and DMV fees and I would have to put some on credit card. With that pricepoint, I would have to wait some time before I could even get a lift and tires and the tires that are on it now are not in good shape, but I’d be pretty loathe to get new ones as I know I’d be going to 31s within a year; but I don’t know how well the current rubber will serve me on the trail.

Thanks in advance to everybody who reads through my big long story and offers their advise / feedback.

In my mind, I do like the styling of the ’99 better and I do very much love the gunmetal color. I think the interior appointments would be more comfortable for myself and the family and the ’99 has everything it needs to be the base for my “dream rig”. With the 5 year and 65k mile difference, the ’99 should be more reliable – in theory. With the ’94, I’ll be able to do just about everything I want right off the bat and with what seems to be some required minor repairs needed, I get some bonding time with her as well. With it being a faded ’94, any body damage from the trail would not be as big a deal as it would be on the pretty ’99, but again, the majority of my offroad time will be exploring on trails, not a bunch of black diamond runs. I am fully aware that both will receive custom pinstripping from the mesquite in my area. I do suffer from short / round disease, and the big tri spoke wheel that’s on the ’94, as cool as it is, is just too big and I think I would have to grab a smaller Grant or something; For the ’94, is there any other option for dealing with the steering wheel?

Thanks again for reading through my novel and I look forward to your valuable feedback and opinions.

Can’t wait to get out there and play in the dirt!

Get the 99. Look over it real good, get underneath and look at the floor pan, look at the diffs, look for oil leaks, any blemishes that can work in your haggling favor, making sure all the electronics work: windows(from each seat location too), locks, ac, wipers, lights, radio and speakers, etc cause you'll have to spend $ to fix. If there are no documents/maintenance receipts, explain how you'll have to do maintenance such as replacing all of the fluids in the axles, tranny, brakes; oxygen sensors, maybe even cat. Offer them $4K, less if you have something that they'll take as a trade. How long has it been on the lot? If it has been a while and if they turn your offer down, leave and come back in a few days and make the same offer or a little more, so they know you seriously want it. Take it for a drive and push it hard--make sure it goes into every gear and reverse. Take it on a dirt/gravel road and engage all of the 4wd options. Do the no hands on steering wheel brake test to make sure it doesn't pull. Get it.

Last edited:
The $5500 is the negotiated price on the '99. Used to be in the car business myself and I've already put the work in on it and that's where we're at.

Hasn't been on the lot very long, but I don't want to let that build of '99 with those miles at that price sit for much longer either over a few hundred bucks.

Thank you for the feedback!

Option 2 – 1999 4 door classic stocker. AOD with 8.25 out back and factory tow package.

This would be my pick. More:

Does have limited slip and tranny cooler.

Both are big plusses.

114k miles and in good condition all around except for the fact that it’s missing the left front fender flare.

Unless you can find one in the junkyard that matches the body colour, expect to have to repaint the flare. Went through this a few months back when I found out that all of the online parts sources that apparently had body-colour flares actually don't - only the basic ready-to-paint black can still be found.

started life in Arizona and spent about 9 years in Washington (As far as I’m aware, they don’t use salt in the PNW); it sits on a dealerships lot in SoCal right now.

Washington state salts the roads depending on area. Still, if it's basically solid right now, I wouldn't be too concerned. Definitely give it a good once-over for rust, though.

Does have tow bar mounts up front, so how many of those 114k are “real” miles?

If it was towed with the ignition off, all of them should be.

Will be $5500 out the door including all smog and DMV fees and I would have to put some on credit card. With that pricepoint, I would have to wait some time before I could even get a lift and tires and the tires that are on it now are not in good shape, but I’d be pretty loathe to get new ones as I know I’d be going to 31s within a year; but I don’t know how well the current rubber will serve me on the trail.

Overall that doesn't sound bad. It'll at least give you time to get used to it as a stocker, which will help with figuring out your build plan over time. I've run Michelin LTX-M/Ses and Big-O own brand out in the Mojave / up in Big Bear without any real trouble. They're not the last word in traction by any means, but even most stock tyres can do well if you adapt your driving style to their capabilities.

In my mind, I do like the styling of the ’99 better and I do very much love the gunmetal color. I think the interior appointments would be more comfortable for myself and the family and the ’99 has everything it needs to be the base for my “dream rig”.

Then go with it. Ultimately you'll be living with it for several years, so you may as well get the one that makes you happiest.

If I was buying another used XJ it would be a silver 60th anniversary model... I still kick myself for not buying one new. I was looking at them at the time and tried to get my GF to buy one... but she didn't listen.

my.02

If I was buying another used XJ it would be a silver 60th anniversary model... I still kick myself for not buying one new. I was looking at them at the time and tried to get my GF to buy one... but she didn't listen.

my.02

I know of what looks to be a good condition black one, here in SoCal, 125k miles..

I know of what looks to be a good condition black one, here in SoCal, 125k miles..

Just make sure it's not my old one that went swimming in a flash flood back in 2005...

One weakness of the 97 plus XJ is the Jeep accountant and CPA engineered evaporator and heater box, put either a weekend and $200 aside or $1000 for the dealer to replace the evaporator. It is 90% labor. I might as well add I'm also looking for one, 00 or as new as I can find. I'm going to try to get down to NJ this weekend and look at a 97 5 speed sport though with 118,000 on it and it's in my favorite dark green too.

I agree with you, just can't see spending $3500+ on something I can't drive..

It's a good deal for somebody though..besides I posted it for you; go snatch it up!

well thanks, but I have three vehicles.... and I don't have time for those. There's something odd about this XJ ... AW4's and NP231/242 transfer cases just don't stop working overnight. And the rest is in perfect condition... he's not the original owner otherwise he would have said so....

There's something he's not disclosing...

Back