• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need gun info

A co worker of mine is buying the same gun you bought for your wife. Our couple friends is a cop and my wife was having lunch the other day with the wife and agreed to let her shot her gun. My wife has never shoot a gun. I grew up with guns in the house but my dad never really shot them. I respected them and plan on continuing with my kids. Yes classes will happen. Yes education. Is a big factor.

keep in mind as you progress in buying a pistol the caliber, its availability and price. Being able to find ammo easily and b able to afford it to stay in practice is important as well.
hth

Its definitely not for everyone but dudes in our situation it works great. My wife has never shot a gun until this one and she was impressed. She complained how loud it was, again, short barrel and no body, but she handled it like a champ and she's small. Before we married she was such a tree hugging liberal (ie guns kill people, not people kill people) but now she's a believer because of this firearm.

Good luck man, I think you're on the right track making an educated decision beforehand.

.40 is one of the worst for brand new gun owners, women in particular. Everyone has a cop friend that will tell you to buy a .40. .40 is most difficult to handle recoil of the three major semi-auto calibers. It's also expensive and hard to find ammo.

I would suggest an M&P 9mm full size. I'm partial to them, but for good reason. I think they're the most ergonomic of the "big three" and probably only second or third among all polymer pistols. Interchangeable back straps are nice, although most everyone offers that nowadays. I think it shoots soft, the trigger is decent out of the box.

Now everyone will chime in and say that 9mm is too sissy. It wouldn't stop anyone. Blah, blah, blah. With good ammo 9mm can be equally as effective as .45. If I can deliver 9mm rounds accurately, quicker than .45... I don't see a handicap here. I don't have anything against .45. I have one for my secondary home defense, above a 9mm. But for someone looking to get their first pistol, my recommendation is always 9mm.

You can't really go wrong with any of the big three, being Glock, Springfield, and S&W. Walther's PPQ is pretty nice. H&K P30/L is about the cream of the crop for polymer semis. Sig's P226 is the flagship of their line. Carried by SEALs currently I believe.

My two pennies.

Back