• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Fender Flares CHP Mad

I ride in the number 1 lane at the posted speed limit just to piss off folks.LOL.I always stay in the 2 right hand lanes when i'm towing so i don't piss off folks and have the CHP look at me to hard. If i'm on I-10 where it is only 2 lanes east bound i stay in the far right till i need to pass a slower car/truck.Most of the time CHP won't say anything if you run 60 to 62 MPH while towing on the freeways out here.I noticed Utah has then 3 trailer setups, what are there speed limits?I know they won't stop as fast as a normal truck and trailer.

it's widely accepted as the fast lane. if someone is doing 70 in the left lane with noone in front of them for a fair distance and there's cars behind them wanting to go faster, that person needs to get out of the way. unless you have a badge, you have no business regulating traffic.

I don't think anyone said anything about holding up or regulating traffic. There shouldn't be anything wrong with using that lane if you aren't holding anyone up. I'm not talking about using it as a travel lane either.

In most states, states without retarded split speed limits there are plenty of trucks and cars Witt trailers that are perfectly capable of running with the flow of traffic.

it's widely accepted as the fast lane. if someone is doing 70 in the left lane with noone in front of them for a fair distance and there's cars behind them wanting to go faster, that person needs to get out of the way. unless you have a badge, you have no business regulating traffic.
Or how about unless you have a badge you have no business exceeding the speed limit...

Argue however you want, the left lane is the passing lane. As was said, pass, then get over to the right. You actually can be ticketed for just cruising in the left lane, add speeding on and you could get two tickets. Most police won't go for the fast lane pitch.

Or how about unless you have a badge you have no business exceeding the speed limit...

Argue however you want, the left lane is the passing lane. As was said, pass, then get over to the right. You actually can be ticketed for just cruising in the left lane, add speeding on and you could get two tickets. Most police won't go for the fast lane pitch.
i dont travel in the fast lane if the other lanes are open or moving as fast or faster than i am. if the other lanes are not open, then i'm passing someone in the passing lane.
i'm pretty sure i'd argue that a group of cars flowing along at 75-80 on a 3+ lane highway, going no more than 5-10mph faster than the other lanes is far less likely to cause an accident than a left lane loafer holding up traffic and instigating road rage.

My feelings are this... If I'm moving faster than the 2 lanes directly to my right even if I'm only doing 5mph faster I don't feel I should have to bob in and out of traffic just so Someone else can do 80-85, your car turns both left and right, why can't the faster car just go around instead of ride your butt?

i dont travel in the fast lane if the other lanes are open or moving as fast or faster than i am. if the other lanes are not open, then i'm passing someone in the passing lane.
i'm pretty sure i'd argue that a group of cars flowing along at 75-80 on a 3+ lane highway, going no more than 5-10mph faster than the other lanes is far less likely to cause an accident than a left lane loafer holding up traffic and instigating road rage.
A left lane loafer would be just as wrong as a left lane speeder. I get into the left lane (or more left than whichever lane I'm in) to pass slower people, then I get back over. If I'm doing the speed limit or 5 over, and you want to go 10 over, then that's fine. You can do it after I've finished passing and gotten back over. If my speed differential is barely over the guy I'm passing, then I'll speed up some, but I'm not going to speed up because someone else thinks they're more important than me.

My feelings are this... If I'm moving faster than the 2 lanes directly to my right even if I'm only doing 5mph faster I don't feel I should have to bob in and out of traffic just so Someone else can do 80-85, your car turns both left and right, why can't the faster car just go around instead of ride your butt?

So, you are only going 5mph over the flow of traffic and can't be bothered to move back to the right, so the driver going 10+ mph should have to weave through slower traffic (unsafe) to get around you.

:doh:

I view the #1 lane as a crutch that may self proclaimed "good drivers" use excessively so they can just tune out all other traffic. Of course you think you are a good driver because you don't see all the other drivers you are pissing off witn your ignorance.

You sound like a card carrying member of the ATA ;)

The safety of split speed limits are split. Yes, they cut down on drivers getting hurt or killed. Obviously if you go slower you are safer but....those studies do not take into account the safety of other vehicles around slow trucks. There are other studies that show higher rates of trucks getting rear ended by faster moving trucks and wrecks where slow moving trucks cut off faster moving vehichles to make lane changes (Lindsey Lohan?)

I Canada judge just ruled that the law they have where any truck newer than 1995 must be limited to 105 kph is unsafe for this same reason.

If they want to slow trucks to 65 or even 55 then they should slow everyone down. If we are all flowing together, that's the safest bet for everyone.

I still think stricter laws on vehicles impeding traffic is the best way to go. Let trucks run in the left lanes but if they are holding people up, write them a ticket. This should go for cars too. We have all been pissed off by grandma in her 89 Buick doing 54 in the left lane. She deserves a ticket as much as a truck slowing people down.

I apologize. I really need to proofread my posts when using my phone.

Split limits have NOT been proven to improve safety. You and I are in total agreement. :)

And I'm a card carrying member of OOIDA not the ATA. LOL

Here in VA a trooper will tag that a$$ for hogging the left lane. The left passing lane that is.

I apologize. I really need to proofread my posts when using my phone.

Split limits have NOT been proven to improve safety. You and I are in total agreement. :)

And I'm a card carrying member of OOIDA not the ATA. LOL

That's funny. I've really been scratching my head trying to figure out where you were coming from.

That's funny. I've really been scratching my head trying to figure out where you were coming from.

I'm a trucker, since when do we make any sense? lol

Here's a recent shot of my rig with BW Flatties, which I had painted to match.

I'm running 285/75/16's with 1.25" billet wheel adapters (spacers) and 6" lift. They cover the tire.

IMG_9033-1.jpg

Very clean looking XJ!

So, you are only going 5mph over the flow of traffic and can't be bothered to move back to the right, so the driver going 10+ mph should have to weave through slower traffic (unsafe) to get around you.

:doh:

I view the #1 lane as a crutch that many self proclaimed "good drivers" use excessively so they can just tune out all other traffic. Of course you think you are a good driver because you don't see all the other drivers you are pissing off witn your ignorance.
:wstupid:

A left lane loafer would be just as wrong as a left lane speeder. I get into the left lane (or more left than whichever lane I'm in) to pass slower people, then I get back over. If I'm doing the speed limit or 5 over, and you want to go 10 over, then that's fine. You can do it after I've finished passing and gotten back over. If my speed differential is barely over the guy I'm passing, then I'll speed up some, but I'm not going to speed up because someone else thinks they're more important than me.
speeding is a relative term, laws aside. my mustang is far safer doing 85 than your truck or jeep is doing 65. stopping distance is better, handling is better, functional abs, etc. also, an average driver is going to be a little different than a driver who is very familiar with the limitations of his vehicle and has track experience, etc. The speed limit is set for the average joe in the average vehicle. while i understand that it's still illegal to speed, it's still not nearly as dangerous as the left lane loafer in a lot of situations, especially with the refinement in handling and safety in most of today's cars.
as for refusing to pulll back into the right lane until you're done passing, that's perfectly fine as long as it's within a decent amount of time, and not 5 miles later. if there's seemingly no end to the line of cars you're trying to pass, then you should pull over for a minute to let the line of cars get by you and then pull back out and go on your way. Just like using a turnoff on a windy road.

What is the best fender flare for the money ? I need 5 - 6" of coverage on the front and 3-4" on the rear. I did a warn hub conversion and the front axle is a little wider now.

Thanks.

You guys need to hit the next rest area and leg wrestle, well done all on the thread hijack........:yelclap:

speeding is a relative term, laws aside. my mustang is far safer doing 85 than your truck or jeep is doing 65. stopping distance is better, handling is better, functional abs, etc. also, an average driver is going to be a little different than a driver who is very familiar with the limitations of his vehicle and has track experience, etc. The speed limit is set for the average joe in the average vehicle. while i understand that it's still illegal to speed, it's still not nearly as dangerous as the left lane loafer in a lot of situations, especially with the refinement in handling and safety in most of today's cars.
as for refusing to pulll back into the right lane until you're done passing, that's perfectly fine as long as it's within a decent amount of time, and not 5 miles later. if there's seemingly no end to the line of cars you're trying to pass, then you should pull over for a minute to let the line of cars get by you and then pull back out and go on your way. Just like using a turnoff on a windy road.
I agree that some vehicles are indeed safer at higher speeds than others. I got to drive an 07 Infiniti G35 sedan up a grade I was used to taking in my Jeep, a Focus, or minivan, and that things was so nice and stable, that through all the curves I was pushing 90 without even realizing it. The Focus would take it at 70 but you could feel every mph...:D But, while the car may be able to handle it, many drivers can't match the limits of their cars. Remember, most of the guys driving Mustangs or Evos, or STis have zero experience on a race track or with any sort of instruction.

Same for guys towing stuff. Many of them get behind the wheel of their PSD and assume that because the truck can pull the load, that they can react quickly enough and with the proper steering or braking to control the load if it gets squirrelly. Most of them can't. I think that's where split speed limits make sense, and truckers just get caught up with them.

In WA state the left lane is a passing lane, and you will get pulled over for being there without passing someone. It is nice that you can legally go up to 15mph over the speed limit up there too.

If I were a CHP officer I would look at this way "Everyone on the Interstate or Hwy is breaking the law it is up to me on who to pull over as I am the law" Some of you may agree or disagree but that is the reality. My Jeep had many violations of the law and that is probably why I was pulled over. Like I said he didnt like my jeep and now I am always looking over my sholder. Need to get the fenders fixed and window tint taken off as well as ordering a new plate. I will make my stuff legal and a CB would be a good idea to talk to truckers for help or info. Old school still works.

Some of you guys crack me up. I really don't have anything to add to this discussion of any great importance except this-

Obey the law and you won't get a ticket. Period.

Back