• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a trail leader on Sunday - SD

rpraterxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey gang,

I am going to be in San Diego and I want to wheel on Sunday. I know absolutely nothing about the trails down there. I have read up and talked to folks about Sidewinder, Bronco Peak, and Gunslinger. I had another thread asking for ideas, but I think these are my trails of choice.

I want to run the difficult stuff. I need someone to lead me to/through it. I have a couple of folks that are lifted, locked, and armored that will be with. Right now there are four of us. 2 of them have been out there and ran Bronco peak, but only once each and neither know it well enough to lead.

Where is a good meeting place? I want to be at the trail at 9:00 AM.

Due to the trails and routes I want to run, I request that only lifted and locked rigs join us. I am not trying to be a snob, but I have not wheeled my XJ in a LLLOOOOONNNNNGGGGG time.

Can someone help us out?

The camp ground is a good meeting place, The bronce connecter is right near there. We usualy meet at the 4 corners parking lot and go from there.

The camp ground is a good meeting place, The bronce connecter is right near there. We usualy meet at the 4 corners parking lot and go from there.

Cool. Now another stupid question, where is 4 Corners?

When u get to corral canyon and you get nice and lost, you'll come up to a gravel parking lot this is refered to as 4 corners. I say when you get lost because the road up there seems to go on forever and is single track so watch out for other people.

Basically what you do is get off on buchman springs road make a right, go straight through the stop sign. Continue down a long ways until you come to a fire station on your right, just past that is the enterance which is a dirt road. Follow it all the way up eventually it will become paved just before you get to 4 corners.

Thanks!

Anyone up for joining the fun?

Basically what you do is get off on buchman springs road make a right, go straight through the stop sign. Continue down a long ways until you come to a fire station on your right, just past that is the enterance which is a dirt road. Follow it all the way up eventually it will become paved just before you get to 4 corners.

If we go, you gonna come with?

Cool. Now another stupid question, where is 4 Corners?

If you want, we can meet in a dirt lot on the side of the Buckman Springs Rd. exit right when you get off the freeway. We could meet there 8:30ish and be at 4 corners before 9am....be aired down and ready to go before 9:30. That should give you enough time to run the trails you want and still hit Pancake Rock on the way back before driving back up to OC. Well, that's assuming we don't run into a lot of traffic.

I wish I could go. Got the kids on Sunday, and my Jeep is down and out for awhile.

Here is a map I put together of all the trails out there.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...707289,-116.565714&spn=0.053011,0.076904&z=14

I would suggest skipping Gunslinger, unless you have time... it's just a fire road. And if you are requiring locked rigs, Gunslinger will be a bore, unless you run it fast. If you want to get to the top of Gunslinger, I suggest taking Bronco Flat instead. The short run up Bronco Flat is fun.

If you want to run all the trails out there, I would suggest this:
From 4 Corners, hit Sidewinder (North to south). Means you have to go down the drop-off :scared:. (Actually, it's not that bad, just a bit freaky looking straight down for a moment.)

Then, go from there south on the main road, then west to Bronco Flat. Run Up Bronco flat, and out Gunsligner back to the main road.
Go right at the main road to the Campground. Take Bronco Connector to Bronco Peak, over the top, and out the east end of the Bronco Peak trail.

You'll hit all the trails, and more-less from easier to harder.

Last edited:
I wish I could go. Got the kids on Sunday, and my Jeep is down and out for awhile.

Here is a map I put together of all the trails out there.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...707289,-116.565714&spn=0.053011,0.076904&z=14

I would suggest skipping Gunslinger, unless you have time... it's just a fire road. And if you are requiring locked rigs, Gunslinger will be a bore, unless you run it fast. If you want to get to the top of Gunslinger, I suggest taking Bronco Flat instead. The short run up Bronco Flat is fun.

If you want to run all the trails out there, I would suggest this:
From 4 Corners, hit Sidewinder (North to south). Means you have to go down the drop-off :scared:. (Actually, it's not that bad, just a bit freaky looking straight down for a moment.)

Then, go from there south on the main road, then west to Bronco Flat. Run Up Bronco flat, and out Gunsligner back to the main road.
Go right at the main road to the Campground. Take Bronco Connector to Bronco Peak, over the top, and out the east end of the Bronco Peak trail.

You'll hit all the trails, and more-less from easier to harder.

Great! I appreciate the help. Too bad you can't join in.

If you want, we can meet in a dirt lot on the side of the Buckman Springs Rd. exit right when you get off the freeway. We could meet there 8:30ish and be at 4 corners before 9am....be aired down and ready to go before 9:30. That should give you enough time to run the trails you want and still hit Pancake Rock on the way back before driving back up to OC. Well, that's assuming we don't run into a lot of traffic.

Sounds good to me! So meet at 8:30 AM at Buckman Springs and the 8!

See you then!

If this were Sat I would be in like Flynn. I'm gonna do a run somewhere on Sat along with my bro in his fullsize bronco. May do corral canyon or find something farther north.

No stockers. Minimum 33's at least 4.5 lift. people will say lockers, I had none and had no problems. For sure need sliders and t-case/gas tank protection.

No stockers. Minimum 33's at least 4.5 lift. people will say lockers, I had none and had no problems. For sure need sliders and t-case/gas tank protection.

You didn't have a locker, but you weren't open/open either. That LSD helps a lot. Not to mention you drive like Oceanjet. :scared:

shhhh lol

Great! I appreciate the help. Too bad you can't join in.

Robert, I know these trails very well. I usually run them several times a year. Been running them for years. Don't think I can go though.

The route I would take would be to warm up with sidewinder. It's a short trail, and run it entering at the 4-corners side (not the other campground side). Then go back around the loop and do Bronco starting with Bronco Peak Connector. And then do the Bronco Peak trail.

You'll want to do the Bronco Peak Connector and not Gunslinger. Gunslinger (as was said before) is a fire road basically. The Bronco Peak Connector is the hardest spot in all of Corral Canyon. You'll want to run that I'm sure. It's no where near some of the caliber of JV trails, but it's a pretty good rock garden.

Here is a video of those two trails:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNSwTF3jZkk&feature=channel_page

Last edited:
Back