• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

National Guard

blackdogxj

NAXJA Forum User
Is it really worth it..they are promising me that they will pay for me to go to college, but i will just have to do that weekend a month 2 weeks every summer thing for them. I want the truth, and not the bullshit that they give u.

Thanks
Brad

blackdogxj said:
Is it really worth it..they are promising me that they will pay for me to go to college, but i will just have to do that weekend a month 2 weeks every summer thing for them. I want the truth, and not the bullshit that they give u.

Thanks
Brad

There is a war on now, do not discount that. If you WANT to serve your country, and get school... go for it. If school is your goal, think long and hard. You will be a soldier too.... Not a bad thing, but not for everybody. :)

Glenn said:
If school is your goal, think long and hard. You will be a soldier too.... Not a bad thing, but not for everybody. :)

No kidding. If school is your only reason for wanting to join, stay out. There are other ways to fund schooling. Soldiering is serious business and very real.

ECKSJAY said:
No kidding. If school is your only reason for wanting to join, stay out. There are other ways to fund schooling. Soldiering is serious business and very real.

Exactly

After rereading, from my expierience I have have seen many disguntled over their enlistments. Many elisted on the sole basis for college money. During 9-11, their true colors came out, when asked to put aside their education/job when called to duty, some complained. They said they didn't join to be deployed, they joined so they could get a couple extra $$$.

All in all, base you decision on wether or not you want to serve your country. Not to help your way through school. When I enlisted I was at 70% for my country and 30% for the money. I have truely enjoy my time spent in the Air National Guard. I have learned many things about life and team work. Truely not a waste of my time.

A better question is, 'should I go guard directly or spend a few years active duty then go guard', might be a better question. They all have their pros and cons. You can go regular service for 3 or 4 years, USN, USA, USAF, USMC, USCG and then go guard or reserves when you get out. I spent 7 years Navy, mostly submarine service then got out to go to school, went to college and joined the guard where I spent the next 17 years doing weekends, alotta weekends as a small arms instructor and fire support team leader, and annual training. If you don't know where you are going the service is not a bad decision. If you don't like living out in the rain, snow and weather then consider USN or USCG and maybe USAF. Cleanest living is USN by far :laugh3: best travel too... I retired from the guard in 99.
Go in the local guard unit, hmmm, I'd see just when they are scheduled to be rotated to the mid east before signing on. Otherwise it may be a couple of years before you have the opportunity for any schooling outside basic and AIT. Once you sign up you have made your commitment, just be sure you are willing to fulfill that commitment. Personally, I have a 19yo son who I am pushing to finish school before he goes in whatever service he chooses and my 18 yo daughter has just started expressing interest in the Navy after she gets her degree [almost fell over when I heard that but you'd have to know her to understand or have seen the movie 'private benjamin']. Good luck in whatever you decide and if you have any questions feel free to email or pm me. Our local army recruiter was not happy when he found out I was retired, he then had to be alot more honest when he was trying to sell my son.

Depending on the Job, the airforce can be the same as other branches out in the fields, I lived in a 4x5 foot room, in a tent durring the winter, with a bunk mate for 7 month in Turkey then in a Helocopter for a month in Iraq.. Chose your job, and expect change

Having just re-enlisted today, I can honestly say the military is worth it. Just realize that the reserves and NG are NOT the same as they were at one time. You WILL be deployed now and it's only a question of when and where. The educational benefits are similar to what the Army Reserves are offering and if you need help paying for college the NG or Reserves are a good for that. However, if you are only interested in the college money then realize you will end up hating your time in the military when Uncle Sam decides it's time to earn your paycheck. Personally I'm finishing up 30 months of MOB time. I'm hopeing next time Uncle Sam needs my services full-time he grants me the privilege of being downrange instead of training and sending my brothers and sisters in green over.

On a couple of my deployments, i've seen many National Guard people pissed off at their unit for sending them on the deployment. If your thinking about it just for the school money....DON'T. With everything going on these days there is a very good chance you will get deployed at least once, it's part of the job. If you want to do it to help out your country, then I say GO FOR IT! Some of my best times in the military were overseas on deployments.
Trevor

i agree with everyone else....dont just do it for the college money if you think you wont get deployed, guess what....you will. we are living in a very unstable world.

one other thing you might want to look into is how much school they will pay for .my last girlfriend is in the Reserves and found that some states will only pay for so much per year.in Jersey they pay all of it or most of it.in Utah they would only pay for 2 semesters a year.while in Montana they would one pay something forget what it was but it was worse than Utah

Talk to your ARMY recruiter about SMP through ROTC. If I had the chance to do it over again, that is what I would do. You get the benefit of being able to go through basic and learn the proper soldiering skills, and when you grad college, you can go in as an Officer.

Just a thought.

Fergie

PS- PM me if you have questions about ROTC and the tricks they can paly.

I've served 11 years Active duty and I train active, reserve, and guardsmen at my current assignment. It's amazing how many of them graduate their tech school and are handed orders to deploy some where. What really warms my heart is that I don't hear much complaining. Lots of kids joining these days willing to serve their country for the simple reason of "serving".

Think about this though. Your enlistment would probably be for four years. Is four years serving your country a "big" price to pay for everything you have in your life? I say do it for school and do it for your country.

I have been in the Coast Guard for over 30 years, mostly reserve. One weekend a month, two weeks a year my a$$, even in peace time we were called more than that. Been recalled since 9/11, not complaining, I enjoy it more than my civilian job, but if you are joining for college money you are joining for the wrong reason.

Look at all the services. Each one has advantages/disavantages. Rich P summed it up pretty well. As long as the evaps are working on ship you'll have clean sheets, hot water and AC. But I have seen Navy guys and I have also lived in a GP medium tent overseas in the winter, right next to Marines and soldiers.

I believe the college funding is all pretty much the same with every service as it is a public law passed by congress. BUT....each service will have their own incentives/bonuses for certain job specialities. Right now the CG is short of cooks and they have the highest enlistment bonus. There are also certain hard to fill jobs that get even more enlistment incentives, in the CGR it's the Port Security Units, the reason is these guys deploy overseas to guard the ports and piers where the military gear is being off-loaded.

Would I do it again, heck yeah. Here's a shameless plug for my service....I was stationed at Lake Tahoe, California, went boating everyday and learned to water ski. There are CG boats on the Mississippi & Missouri rivers (as far up as Omaha) and on the great lakes where the crew gets sea pay. Many federal law enforcement agencies desire former CG law enforcement officers.
Good Luck,
Tom

Get yor school done first, then go in as an officer. If you join for money, you will hate it. Be an officer, that way you dont have to clean as many toilets.

0313 said:
Get yor school done first, then go in as an officer. If you join for money, you will hate it. Be an officer, that way you dont have to clean as many toilets.

Yup, you just have to supervise the toilet cleaning as a new 01 :laugh3: If you can go to college then a commission is the way to go, Army is the only one though that will do the commissioning thing with less than a 4 year degree, all the other services require a BS...

RichP said:
Yup, you just have to supervise the toilet cleaning as a new 01 :laugh3: If you can go to college then a commission is the way to go, Army is the only one though that will do the commissioning thing with less than a 4 year degree, all the other services require a BS...

Not true, in the Air Guard one can be selected for OTS with only 60+ units. After OTS school they have so many years to complete their degree. Now the reality is, if you are boarding agianst ones with there degrees, well then the competeion definitely has the advantage.

In my 14 years, the only part I regret is going straight Guard. I should have done at least 4 years first, but then maybe I wouldn't have met my wife. I'm glad I did join right after highschool. My grades were above average, but I needed that kick in the pants before going to college. The Guard gave me an opportunity to get away from home and expierence life. AD would have given me a more broader expierence and maybe more direction, but that's all hind-sight. The only thing that bothers me about youth today is the blatant idleness. I know I had this problem when I was young and it's looks a lot worse today. I'm grateful to my Dad set the example of military service in my life and this help give my young life some direction. Otherwise I probably would have no wife/kids, a crappy job and probably in prison for drug abuse.

Back